Thoughts on multi-channel amps..

Zacks
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,just got an HU upgrade..now planin on gettin some component speakers.Wanted to know what kinda amp would i need for 2 mid-range, 2 tweets and a sub..kinda strapped for cash right now, so im looking to get just one amp.Would a 4 channel amp be good? I don't really want to run more than one amp..

Any inputs,advice and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 719
Hey Zacks, you can use the 4 channel amp to power your rear speakers and the sub or you can power front and rear and have the sub run off the rear using a coil and capacitor. It's like using 4 channel amp as a 5 channel mode.
To do this, you'll need a good amp. RF/Kicker both make 4 channel amps but they might be out of your price range. I bought Audiobahn A4125HCT 4 channel amp. It works great. I'm using it to power my rear speakers and the sub (3 channel mode). It's got plenty of power 2000W rms with remote bass control, sub sonic filter, bass boost.
It's priced around $395. If that's still too high, then you can buy class d amp for your sub and a lower powered 4 channel amp.

Zacks
Unregistered guest
Cool..Isaac
Here's what i'm planin to do..please tell me if this is advisable or not..
I'm a car audio noob *gasp*..heh..so ur gonna have to bear with me. I'm gonna scrap the rear speaks and focus on the frontstage and sub.Im gonna get a component set for the front. Now, can i run my 2 front door speakers,2 tweeters and sub of a 4 channel amp without the coil and capacitor? or would i need a 5 or maybe even 6 channel amp for this?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6127
look at JBL or Kicker 4 channel amps
run the components on channels 1 and 2, and bridge channels 3 and 4 for a single 4 ohm sub
all set and good to go

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
Hey Zacks, like glasswolf said above, you can use channels 1 and 2 for your front to power both door speakers and tweeters, and then bridge channels 3 and 4 for the sub. Depending on the amp, you might be able to use 2ohms or even 1ohms load.
I'd go with Kicker over JBL cause Kicker amp come with remote bass control. I don't think JBL does. Believe me, that control is very useful with subs. It's like being able to control bass boost instantly from your dashboard.
Also, you only need the coils and capacitors for 5 channel operation.

Username: Tullphan

Post Number: 5
I'm looking at a Memphis Audio 75 x 4 as well as MA 5 x 7 door speakers for my 98 Crown Vic.
I have an older 10" Rockford Fosgate Punch DVC that i'll be using in addition to the above but am debating on how to use the amp. The 5 x 7's are set up (I was told) for bi-amping. I was thinking about using the 75 x 4 for that & using an older RF 200.2 for my sub.
Comments? Suggestions?

Silver Member

Post Number: 733
Hey Jerry, I'd go with your last setup. It'll give you much richer sound overall, balanced too.

Post Number: 6
You mean bi-amping the 5 x 7's & using the 200.2 for the sub?

Zacks
Unregistered guest
Alrite..thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 734
Yup Jerry.

Post Number: 7
Zack, I don't mean to steal your thread, dude. hehe.
Isaac, is there anything special I need to do as far as hooking up those 5 x 7's if I do the bi-amp thing? I think the salesman said they come with crossovers. Will I use them or the crossovers on the amp or what? I'm using an Alpine CDA-9813 head unit...it's got crossover settings also...sheesh!

Zacks
Unregistered guest
Hahah..no prob..it's all good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Hey Jerry, nothing special is required. Just connect the amp to your speakers and set the crossover according to your music taste. I know sometimes it gets confusing when you have too many controls. For starters, you can set your HU to flat or default settting and just work with the speaker's and the amp's controls. I'd adjust the amp first, then fine tune with speaker's crossover.

Post Number: 8
Local installer seems to think that since these speakers already have crossovers with them it'd be better to hook 'em up normally. I don't know if he's just being onery or what. I'm confused.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6209
if the amp has it's pwn HPF, use that to block any low frequencies from those 5x7s and hook them up straight to the amp.. sure

Post Number: 9
I looked at the speakers tonight...they have a separate crossover with wires that goes to the "HF" & the "LF" on the speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us