JL Audio 100/1 amp? Please Help!!!

Username: Drjones2k2

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 5
I have a 1996 honda civic and I recently posted a message about JL Audio system. And it was determened that for two 12W7's that a JL Audio 1000/1 amp would be best to run them. I was wondering if I need a high output alternator to run that? If so than I found a 150 amp alternator, Will that work? Also what about batteries? How many, and what kind do I need? Is there any thing else that I need to go along with these things? Also does anyone know what a JL 1000/1 peak power is? Any help from stereo pros will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 668
Hey CJ, yes you will need HO alternator. 150A is a good start. Make sure you also get 4gauge alternator power wire.
You don't need to get another battery as long as you have HO alternator. Yellow top battery won't hurt either.
A 1.5 - 2F capacitor will also help.
For the JL amp, make sure you have 4gauge power wire at least with 120A fuse near the battery.

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 6
Thank you for responding so quickly! I will take your advise and get a HO alternator, and a yellow top battery. I have been thinking about instead of going with one 1000/1 amp and two 12w7's, that I would go with two 13w7's and two 1000/1 amps. I was just wondering what else I would need to power the two amps? Is that possible for my car electrical system to take that with a 150A alternator. I will buy what ever I have to to make this work. I just dont want to get a HO alternator and all that stereo equiptment, to find out that I just bought all that for nothing. I appreciate all your help and I hope to here from someone soon!

Silver Member

Post Number: 701
Hey CJ, for 2000W rms, you'll need at least 170A alternator. You might have to get 200A. Your 150A alternator can only handle 1500W rms.
You know that with 1 1000/1 amp, you can power both subs right?
As for power wire, if you're going to have 2000W, then you also need to buy the wiring kit for 2000W rms.

Waterville, New York USA

Post Number: 7
Thank you for responding once again! I was wondering where I could find a 200 amp alt.? Also how much will it cost?

Silver Member

Post Number: 721
Hey CJ, 200A price range from $150 - $299 depending on your car. Go to 4alterstart.com. If you don't find your car model, you can contact them and they will make/find you one.

Unregistered guest
i just received my jl audio 1000/1 amp that i bought from ebay. i was wondering if any body could give me some advice on which subs would be the best to go with, and also what other equipment i would need.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7243
I'd go with a single RE Audio triple X 12" or 15" sub myself on that amp, in a slot-vented enclosure tuned to about 28Hz.

Zr0ko0l
Unregistered guest
Thank you for responding quickly. sounds good, but what about niche audio nw1200ho 12"sub?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1051
If you have the cash, go with RE XXX12" or 15. You won't regret it.

Zr0ko0l
Unregistered guest
ok. but if im kinda low on cash would the nw1200ho 12" be better than the 12w6v2 sub?

Zr0ko0l
Unregistered guest
also i wanted to know on which car would it sound better. i have 96 honda civic sedan, and a kia sephia 2000. which one would be my best option?
would a 200 amp HO alternator be best for which ever one of these cars? if anyone could give me a list of things that i would need to get a good system going on which ever car, i would greately appreciated... :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1052
The sound doesn't depend on the car. It's really how you configure/install the subs, dynomat etc. You'll need dynomat to eliminate the sound vibration in the trunk.
As for the type of sub, you'll need to hear them in person and then make your selection. I'd personally get RE X.X.X. 15" sub. The last thing you want to do is regret for buying something cheap.
You will definately need HO alternator with JL1000.1 amp. You can try 4alterstart.com. They will find you one. The easiest way is for you to buy a 2nd alternator for your car and send that to them. They will then custom wire it for the desired amperage, then you won't have any install problem. You will also need to upgrade the alternator wire and few others. Search this forum for it.
I'm not sure what kind of power wiring you have now, but you might need 2 - 0 gauge wire and a power distribution block. It'll come in handy if you're installing more than 1 amp in the car.

Username: Zr0ko0l

Post Number: 1
Thanks a lot for your help. ill take your advice and go for the RE X.X.X. 15".

Post Number: 2
i was wondering were i can purchase a RE x.x.x. 15" sub. can i go for 18" with jl audio 1000/1 amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1181
Go to the RE's website and they have a phone number you can call.
You can go with the 18" and JL amp. It'll just cost you more money.
Personally I don't know how people can listen to 1000W of bass. Even 300W of properly tuned sub is too loud for average listening.

Post Number: 3
how about 3 MA Audio MA120D6 12" subs 800 watts each, w/ the jl audio 1000/1 amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1193
Hey David, that sub is dual 6ohm, and it's only 400W rms. You are really going downward on quality though. RE X.X.X. is much a better product. If you have the space for 3 12" subs, why not 2 RE's instead? JL also makes a good sub.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us