Amp Help

Username: Jbgoalie4

Utica, New york USA

Post Number: 3
I've got a soundstream lil wonder 4 and i was wondering if ANYONE knows the power rating of it.

Got another question when i turn the amp all the way up and hace my panasonic deck all the way up the amp cuts out. it does not cut out when the deck is at half volume. WHAT DO i do?

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 414
Note: The amp has a gain knob not a volume knob.

A gain knob allows you to match the output of the head unit (at full volume) to get the full volume of the amp at the same time.

EX: If the head unit produces 4 volts at full volume you want the amp to be at full volume with 4 volts of input, not at 3 or 2 volts. If so then it will run into clipping at 1/2 or 3/4 volume because of being over driven by the head unit.

If your not getting the required result from your speakers chances are that your amp don't produce enough power to adequately push them.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6387
"A gain knob allows you to match the output of the head unit (at full volume) to get the full volume of the amp at the same time."

actually, the gain (improper term to be precise) is used to match the line voltage of the source to the input stage of the amplifier. this wouldn't even be needed on amps if every manufacturer used the same line voltages, but alas, that isn't the case. They can range from 250mV to 16V in cars.

If you want to learn how to set "gain" properly, go to www.jlaudio.com
go to the tutorials section, and read the guide there.
I have links to half a dozen other guides on the subject as well if needed.

more on amplifier basics:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/amplifiers.html

Silver Member
Username: Fryguy

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 425
How can gain or input sensitivity be an incorrect term?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us