Subwoofer Wiring Help

Anonymous
Unregistered guest
I have 2 x 12's 1000watt (RMS) each with dual voice coils. They are rated at 4ohms per voice coil. My amp is 2000W Max @ 2ohms (1000W x 2). It can either be wired 350W x 2 @ 2 ohms (RMS), 700W x 1 @ 4 ohms (RMS), or 250W x 2 @ 4 ohms (RMS). How should I wire them to make the most power?

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 948
wire the coils of each sub in parallel, and put one sub on each channel of the amp for a two Ohm stereo load.

Post Number: 1
So hook the one voice coil on the sub to the other and then run one to the amp?

I had my old amp hooked up and it worked fine but then I had startin' problems couple months later. Thinkin it might be the power cap or amp drainin' the system, I unhooked the power wire from the battery. I later found out it was just a bad battery cable to the starter from the battery. I hooked the power wire back up and BOOM. The amp is on fire. There were flames inside it. The fuse on the amp had blown but the flames continued. I unhooked it quickly. With no fuse in the amp, I attempted to hook it up again. The second I touched the power wire to the amp it flamed up again. I assume now that the amp is junk. What could have caused this? Is there any way to test the power cable to see if it's givin' off the right voltage? Will my digital multimeter work fine? I just don't want to fry my new amp when I hook it up. Could my power cap be causin' this to happen?

Anonymous

you really should have had an in-line fuse....would have most likly saved the amp!!!

Post Number: 2
I did have an inline fuse. 2 of them. A 80amp right by the battery and a 60amp right before the power cap. They didn't blow but the 40amp on the amp did.

Post Number: 3
Bump....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1019
well yes, it stands to reason that the smallest fuse will blow first.

Post Number: 4
How do I wire them for a 4ohm stereo load? And how about a 2 and 4 ohm mono/bridged load?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1025

http://www.bcae1.com/ohm.htm

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us