Dual voice coil help

Username: Rezzie

Post Number: 1
ok heres the set up, i have an L7 12" sub in a sealed box, made by subzero (www.subzeromfg.com) it has 2 pairs of terminals im assuming 1 per voice coil. i have gone thru a series of amps and subs in the past and have purchased 2 500watt mono amps. these amps are the same model they put out about 350rms, i was planning on reusing these amps as to i dont want to spend money on another amp, would it be possible to hook up 1 amp per coil to the sub? or is there any way i can configure wires to take advantage of the 2 amps to power this 1 sub? the amps are 2 ohm stable and my L7 is 2 ohms per coil, in theory it makes sense to just hook up 1 amp per coil. any help will be appreciated
tia

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 576
Hey Marcus, you can attach one amp per terminal. What you have to be careful of is the signal to both amps. You will need a splitter for the rca cable from HU to connect the same signal to both amps. If you operate the 2 amps in stereo mode, you will fry the voice coils.

Post Number: 2
i need a splitter? i cant have use the in/outputs of the amp? say hu to amp 1 imput, amp 1 output to amp 2 input? if the splitter is the only route thats not a problem, can u vouche any good name brand splitters? thanx

Silver Member

Post Number: 581
Hey Marcus, if your amps already have a pass through rca jacks, then use them. It'll do the same job as a splitter cable.
BTW, if you needed to get one, Radio Shack or most audio places sell them for few dollars.

Post Number: 3
ic, sounds good. so as long as im not running into stereo mode this should be fairly save correct?

Silver Member

Post Number: 586
Yes, in mono your sub will be ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us