How much of a Difference would I hear?

Bronze Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 80
Currently The rear of my car has two MTX 8", one 12" Jensen, and a pair of 6x9 pioneer speakers, which is all powered by The head unit, that acutally sounds quite good. I tried installing a Mobile Authority amp and it made it sound worse so went back to just useing the headunit. Could the reason it made it sound worse be due to the fact that Mobile Authority doesnt have good amps or is it possible I have it hooked up wrong. The amp is only 180w by the way and its a older model.

Bronze Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 81
Also, Would I hear a big difference in sound if I installed a MTX Thunder 251D?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 563
Hey xxmdfmkxx, when you say the sound is worse, what do you exactly mean? Does it distort or are you losing the highs/lows?
A HU will only provide limited power to the speakers. An external amp should sound at least 2x better. If not, you either have some wiring/power/noise problem.
Unless you find what the problem is first, changing amp won't solve anything much.

Bronze Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 82
Yeah you could say that, It distorts and loses Both highs and lows. Just sounds alot better with the HU instead of the Mobile Authority amp. How exactly should the wireing be? Like could they be close together or should they be spaced apart so that the wire caseing isnt touching another one. Also the 12" Jensen crackels real bad when I have the amp on it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
Just curious, how are you connecting the HU to the amp? Does your HU have rca plugs? If you're losing the highs and lows, I'd try a different amp. The amp is suppose to make it sound better not worse.
If you're getting lot of distortion, make sure your amp's input cables are away from the power wires. They should be wired on opposite sides of the car. Also check to see that your ground is done properly. That is another place where a lot of noise can be picked up.
As for your Jensen crackling up, you're either supplying too much power to that speaker or the amp is picking up lot of distortion. Most of the time it's ground/cable related.

Bronze Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 83
Yes, My HU has RCA plugs. I've tried two different amps and its the same. The ground is fine. Also, I'm pretty positive im not supplying too much power to it because the amp is hardly on when it starts to distort. Tried different wires and different RCA cables aswell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 574
Ok then, what about the amp's gain control? Did you set that properly?

Bronze Member

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 84
Pretty sure I did, Not positive though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Ok double check your gain level control. Now just to test your amp, try this. Get a walkman/cd player and attach it to the amp's rca input and apply some signal. See if the sound is clean and distortion free. If it is, then the problem is with your cables/HU. If not, then your amp has a problem, might be related to gain level.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us