Help with Alternator

Thunder279
Unregistered guest
Alright, I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy with a stock alternator. I have 2 Rockford Amps pushing at total about 1500 watts and I sorta killed my altnerator. I also have a 1.7 farad capacitor. Now I have called many alternator shops and they pretty much refuse to put in a 160 amp altnerator because There will be nothing but problems. I dont know why.... So I guess my question is, is it really that unsafe to put in a large alternator like that?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 499
Hey Thunder279, you need to find a better mechanics. It's not rocket science. All you're doing is adding a device that will give you more power. If those guys can't handle that then they shouldn't be in car business.
Now for alternators, try 4alterstart.com. They will be more than happy to help you. Since you own a "normal" American made car, you should be able to buy the alternator at a good price. For 1500W, I'd try 170A - 200A. Don't forget to buy the new 4gauge alternator wire too. You'll need it with that much current.
Oh BTW, GMC Jimmy has plent of space under the hood for a bigger alternator. In fact, you should be able to replace it yourself. Very easy too do. You can then laugh at your alternator shops being morons.
You can buy a car book that'll show you exactly how to change alternators in Jimmy for $10!

Thunder279
Unregistered guest
Hahaha, thats funny. Out of the 10 shops i've called in my area, 5 wont even look at it and the others will do it, but they wont offer me any warranty on it. Im like wtf! They say that the bigger alternators don't recharge at idle, but i mean really who cares.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 520
Guy, those guys must be on drugs. There's tons of people with HO alternators. They need to wake up and smell some fresh air.. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 20
yeah - gotta say - WTF, if they are that concerned about that then they could just change the pully and belt so that the damn thing is dong higher RPM at idle. (the alternator that is, not the car) Anyway alot of cars come straight out of the factory with setups that don't/barely charge at an idle. LOL Get an alternator and change it yourself. Easy to do and rewarding as you did it yourself.

Cheers Glenn

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6011
you'll rarely find any warranties offered on modifying an engine of a car to non factory specs.
that's common.
try www.4alterstart.com
they can do just about anything.
I can't believe there are car audio shops that don't do alternators, or at least recognize the need for them.
That's like having a hospital that doesn't think a pharmacy is useful..

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 70
I tried tons of places looking for a HO alternator. All were $350 or more (one was as high as $639). www.mralternator.com had a 120AMP alternator for my ride for only $185. I didn't think twice :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6036
good HO Alternators aren't cheap.
Nor is teh labor to have one put in, usually.
especially on newer computer controlled cars that have wiring to the alternator to monitor the output by your car's ECM.

Unregistered guest
can anyone tell me where the R and F terminals on my altenator go, I have been reading , but I must be missing something , I could use a simple diagram or text on how to do this. I am putting a corvette motor in a ford truck, and I am doing all new wiring , thank you .glen

Username: Hiamps

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 2
Thunder279
I can get you that alternator for a very good price send a email with your car specs. autoelectricpart@aol.com
Aldo
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us