First time sub buyer - any help would be greatly appreciated

Erik00
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone. Im looking to buy my first sub set-up and don't want to spend too much money preferably <$600 on the subs/box/amp. I've heard a friends audiobahns (aw1251t, their cheaper ones) with a pos amp and liked them so was thinking about getting 2 aw1200q's. I didnt know what amp to go with so i looked over some threads on this site and am wondering if 2 A8000T's would run them good, or if anyone knows of another setup (audiobahn or not) for <$600 that may be better. I want to use the bass for hip-hop and im not really picky on extraordinary sound quality, mainly looking for some head turning and decent sounding. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 14
Those subs are a good choice, even though some ppl here would advise against Audiobahn. I own audiobahn subs and their most powerful amp. Now to your question. Get the AW100q's. You can get them at about $150 a pair on ebay including shipping. Be sure to read the spec for the subs to get the box they recommend! You'd want to go with the ported box. That'll be half your money. Now you got 300 more for the amp. You don't need to get 2 of their amps, all you need is the A18001DT and it'll hit really hard. Also, be sure your charing system is ready for this. Even though it is a D-class amp, it still needs a lot of current. Get ready to get a yellow top optima...or 2! Enhoy the stuff if you do get it and make sure you shop for it on ebay, otherwise it'll cost 2-3times as much.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Audiobahn sucks. Poor craftsmanship all around.

Erik00
Unregistered guest
Are there any pros to using the A18001DT instead of the two A8000T's? If i ran the 2 they would run on 2 ohm and the single would run on 1 ohm, is there any difference in sound quality or anything like that using different ohms? Would using the two instead of one use more power from the battery or vice versa or anything? Would the single one overheat anymore than running both? Would it be any more harder to wire? Just wondering. Also if i just got 1 yellow top battery you think id be good if i got a cap? if so what size?

Username: Erik00

Pembroke Pines, Florida US

Post Number: 1
Would 2 aw1200q's sound good in a bandpass box or should i stick with ported?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 106
Bandpass boxes tend to get a little flabby sounding, and I personally listen to a lot of fast music, so I'd say ported, but that would really be for you to decide.
Also, from what I understand, Audiobahn pulls a lot of current so you're more than likely going to need to need an alternator upgrade. Alternator before caps. An alternator may be outside your budget, so that may be an extra cost.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 36
Erik, I know nappy is not too fond of Audiobahn, and perhaps his experience with it hasn't been good, but I have used audiobahn for 2yrs. I had a really underpowered amp and I distorted the hell out of my subs for almost 2yrs, only then they finally blew! I have gotten 2 more of the same model with a good amp and then really hit. I am not sure exactly what is wrong with them as to what nappy was saying. Try it out, if they don't meet your expectations, which I'm sure they will, then you can come back and team up with nappy to bash on audiobahn.

To answer your question. It is better to use 1 A18001DT because it's a D class amplifier built specifically for subwoofers. It uses about 20% less current than the A8000T's, which are class AB. All you do is wire those subs in parallel, which will get it down to 1ohm. With that that amp will deliver 900Watts X 2 RMS! Which is more than you need. A8000T is only 2ohm stable. Running 1 A1800DT is the same as running only 1 A8000T in terms of the current required from your electrica system. Also, Audiobahn has the DUB1800D, which is the same as A18001DT, only costs a little less, has no voltmeter, and has a DUB wheel on it.
About the yellow top, yes do get it as you'll find out that your car no longer starts after a few outings with really loud music. What kind of a car is it? If it's large enough it may have a more power alternator, which will be able to sustain the amp. So if only your lights dim, get a 1.5Farad capacitor and you'll be fine. Let me know what kind of car you have and how much current the alternator puts out. Enjoy the stuff!

amp_tiger
Unregistered guest
oleg, isn't a8000t is a mono amp. cardomain, cruthfield they all list it as mono amp??? i saw audiobahn website it's output is 400 X 1 4ohm mono and 800 X 1 mono. it doesn't have any stereo output at all!!!i am confused!! it's my curicity and i would like to know. thanks.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 44
A8000T is a mono amp, but it is not class D, it's class AB, which means it uses about 20% more current than the class D of the same power output rating. Also, the amp is only 2ohm stable. The D class i was talking about above is 1ohm stable.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help Oleg! My car is a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant 4cyl so i figure the alternator and battery are probably pretty crappy. If i need a new alternator, do you have any suggestions for good ones with price in mind?

Post Number: 3
Also is there any way for me to know how much power the alternator puts out so i can relay that info to you?

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Polk Momo 12'' (affordable quality) or
JL 12w7 (pricey)

Post Number: 4
Anyone know if 2 JL 12w3v2 with a 1200 amp like a audiobahn a12001dt would sound as good as the 2 audiobahn aw1200q with a a18001dt? it would end up using less power and im trying to get around having to change my alternator for cost reasons... please any feedback apreciated

Post Number: 5
Oleg, alternator says 85amp on it, would that be enough to run the a18001dt with the 2 1200q's?

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 95
I think this math has been done before, but let me do it for you again... 85amps for the entire cars means, about 45amps for the amplifier(we're being generous here). Let's do it at about 12V, so 45 * 12=540watts. The amp is about 80% efficient, so that makes it about 430watts. The amp probably comes with a remote bass control, which also has a clipping indicator(the light is blue, but turns red when clipping), so be sure to not have it clip, or you'll need new subs real fast. If you blast it, your stock battery will be drained, so be sure to get a deep cycle battery. High output alternators run about $250, search the internet for them. Also, if you have the cash, once you get a new alternator, get another optima or stinger battery(the biggest one you can afford) and stick it in the trunk. Have someone put it in for you. When you have all that, that would let the system achieve its potential. Also, may want to get a 2farad capacitor after that.

Bronze Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 96
You can do some reasearch and find out which subs need least amount of power to achieve most excursion. Glass speaks of adire shivas pretty highly, so you may want to try them out as they do not need a lot of power to be loud. Also, you're not going to need as big of an amp, so you'll save money there. That would also cut the need for the new alternator. They say the 600watt JBL class D amp is really good, so check it out. Total system cost would be 450-500 bucks. For all audiobahn setup you want, it'll run about $550. I'd try the shivas with the JBL amp just to be different. I bet none of your friends will have adire subs, but you will!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us