Opinions on JBL BP600.1 for $160?

Username: Drumjunky

Colorado

Post Number: 1
I found the JBL BP600.1 at CarDomain (http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP6001Z) for $160. It is refurbished with a factory 1 year warranty.

Do you think that this is a good deal?

What are your opinions on refurbished amps?

Thanks guys

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
What will you be driving (type of sub)?
Refurb on an amp. I wouldn't, unless that guarantee is really tight. 600 JBL watts...don't let watts deceive you, young Jedi.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
I bought a used JBL BP600.1 amp off of ebay and I love it, I have a pair of 12" Alpine type S subs, and that amp really drives them hard. Really good amp for the money.

Colorado

Post Number: 2
I am plannin' on getting 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1d's (DVC, 4 Ohm) and wiring for a 1 Ohm load. The other option I have is to wire it for a 4 Ohm load, but it is recommended to bridge a 2 channel amp for this setup.

For the price (I'm a college student, so funds are tight) and the reputation of these amps on the message board, it looked like a good deal to me. Does anybody think a different amp would work better for the situation?

Thanks for the help

Colorado

Post Number: 3
Hey Doug. How did you wire your system? Did you go for 1 Ohm or 4 Ohms at the amp? ...I see that your Type-S's also have 4 Ohms DVC's, same as the Kappa Perfects.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2665
Refurb amps are fine. Usually they just change a circuit board, so it's basically a new amp. Don't underestimate JBLs amps, they're solid amps for the price and actually are underrated, the JBL 600.1 typically puts out closer to 700W RMS. It's a good deal

Colorado

Post Number: 5
Do you guys think that it would be better to wire it for an impedence of 1 or 4 Ohms? From reading around on the message board, I believe the 1 Ohm load produces a little more distortion and such. I'm not an expert at audio quality by any means, so I'm not sure if I'll hear the difference. I would like to make sure, though, that I don't ruin the subs.

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
I went down to 1 0hm because the jbl puts out 300x1 at 4 ohms and 600x1 at 1 ohm and my subs RMS 300 watts each so it was a perfect match. Your gonna wanna wire to 1 ohm since your subs RMS 350 watts each, so even if the amp is underated and puts out a little more than 300 watts into each sub they will still be fine.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Did you ever wonder why places have refurb more of one brand than the other? Hmmmm...could it be because they have a pretty decent failure rate? Not being pessimistic....Fosgate is better.

Bronze Member
Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 83
How do you wire a 4 ohm DVC sub to a 1 ohm load. Both subs wired in series to a mono channel would get you a 1 ohm impedence. Make sure that amp is stable @ 1 ohm if not the amp will protect most likely.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 279
the jbl bp600.1 is a solid amp, i have one. (bout to sell it)

i have ran it on both an L5 12 and a brahma 10.

i did ~133.xdB on the termlab mic w/ it on the brahma in a box tuned to 36hz before i got my bp1200.1.

its a nice little amp, great for the price. mine never ran hot, even while pounding on the brahma @ 1ohm in the louisiana summer.

the only thing that i can think of that would make it better would be for it to have a builtin sub-sonic filter.

like jonathan said, dont underestimate it.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 103
Patrick, for a 1 ohm load, you'd wire both subs in parallel, parallel. Series, series would net you a load of 16 ohms, I do believe.
Check out: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html
2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel

Colorado

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the help everybody...a day or so after I started the thread they sold out of the refurbished ones :-( Thanks for all your help though!!

You all have been great at helping me out and everyone else...I wanted to say thanks!

Doug W.
Unregistered guest
You should check ebay Brian. Even if you don't find one at first keep checking back, you will find one eventually. I bought mine used for $150, shipped and everything off ebay and it is a really good amp. Just like marshal said, mine never runs hot and my alpines pound. Just make sure to ask the seller if he can garuntee against DOA (Dead on Arrival) and also ask him how long he had the amp running and stuff like that too make sure he hasn't abused it.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2670
"Did you ever wonder why places have refurb more of one brand than the other? Hmmmm...could it be because they have a pretty decent failure rate? Not being pessimistic....Fosgate is better."

Because companies like Fosgate repair those amps and rip you off by selling them as new amps. Kicker amps are much better than RFs, and they produce refurb amps as well. Most amp problems are the users fault, not the companies. Install typically causes about 90% of problems, the rest is user abuse and sometimes you'll have manufacturing problems. The JBL is a very solid amp, and just as reliable as any RF Punch amp you could stick your hands on, they're about equal.

Bronze Member
Username: Bassfreak596

Post Number: 41
hey 600.1 is 1ohm stable ?? the jbl.com site doesnt say that though !
is 601.1 and 600.1 the same ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us