Help with amp specs

Unregistered guest
Hi

I'm pretty new to car stereo, but am confident I can upgrade my stereo without pro-installation. I'm looking to buy a 4 channel amp to run my fronts and a sub. For fronts, I'm leaning towards the Boston RC620, which run at 4ohms. I'm not sure about the sub yet, but am considering an Eclipse PA5422 amp. The specs for this say 200Wx4 @ 2ohm (max), 120wx4 @ 2ohm, 85wx4@ 4ohm, and 240wx2 @ 4ohm bridged.

So....i'll run the 4ohm speakers in the front, and the sub bridged across the other 2 channels. how many watts will get to each speaker, and what should I look for in a sub (10" or 12"), as far as impedence and wattage goes? what is the max wattage my sub will see with this setup?

Sorry so long...I really appreciate any help.

John

P.S...I'm open to suggestions for alternative setups if anybody has any.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 927
max ratings on an amp are meaningless.
go by RMS values only. this applies to amplifiers as well as speakers.
Boston Acoustics has good components.
The Eclipse amp would be excellent for front and rear components. You'd be better off with a mono sub amp for driving the sub(s) however, and look at eD, or Adire for some good subs
www.edesignaudio.com
www.adireaudio.com

for a head unit, look at eclipse or alpine

Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Bostons and am waiting for them to come in. In the mean time, I'm still lookat at amps. I checked out eD...why do you recommend these amps over eclipse for driving the sub? (looking at a 12" JL) I'm also considering a eclipse 5 channel (fronts bridged, last channel to sub).

Thanks again
John

p.s...forgot to mention it - i already have an eclipse head unit.

Silver Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 954
I don't recommend 4 channel amps for driving subs.
they aren't designed for it.
mono amps are.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us