5-amp question...opinions & advice, please!

edster922
Unregistered guest
OK, I've narrowed it down to:

1. US Acoustics USB-4085, $180
2. Kicker KX600.4, $221
3. Phoenix Gold Tantrum T600.4, $258
4. Avionixx AXA440.4, $235
5. Precision Power PCX-480, $230

Prices include shipping.

All of the above are around 4x80w RMS at 4ohms. I'll use it to run a pair of component speakers and a 10" sub in a Nissan extended cab pickup. Application: rock, jazz, classical, instrumental, at loud but not earth-shaking volume...clarity and fullness for me is more important than brute power. Also would like it to run cool as possible.

In particular, are #2-5 SIGNIFICANTLY better than #1? Is the most expensive one, #3, also the best? #1 is from Crutchfield, #4 from the manufacturer, the rest from eBay but new.

thanks!

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 37
What brand components are you using front and rear? And what sub? The type of amp you choose depends on the type of speaker you use. Could you give RMS details of your speakers and sub? Chances are, you may overpower or under power the speakers. Standard speakers are around 4x50w rms (good models are usually underrated by up to 30w-40w)

edster922
Unregistered guest
The front components are Polk EX3560, rated at 100w RMS.

The sub is an Infinity kappa Perfect 10.1 SVC, rated at 75-350w RMS.

Oh, and forgot to add:

6. JBL PX300.4, $270

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 913
personally, I'd probably take the Kicker 600.4

edster922
Unregistered guest
GW,

why's that?

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 39
Hey GW I don't know whether it makes any significance or not, but is there a big difference in quality when you talk about those amps (backed by known companies) made in Asia such as Korea or China, as opposed to those made in USA? This worries me coz I get tons of the Asian made stuff here.

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 931
well, the reason companies move overseas is because labor is cheap.
If you notice, the best amplifiers are made in the USA, but they also cost a lot of coin, too.
There are good Japanese or Asian made amplifiers.. just being made there doesn't mean they suck. It's just a matter of how picky you are.
Older Orion, RF, and PPI were all US made. old PG was US made.
US Amps, McIntosh, Zapco, all US made.
none of those amps are cheap. They're all considered high end though.
The reason I chose the Kicker, is because I like their amps. well made, not bad looking, and they've got some balls to them. they put out the power they say they do, and they sound good when adjusted properly.
you wouldn't regret having kicker's amplifiers, and that's something I always consider. "Will I look back on this later and regret spending the money?"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us