Amp smart protection wont shut off

Username: Nevik_dodge_89

Post Number: 1
K i have a koss ma 275 amp that has a three way smart protection it turned on while i was driving home for the first time getting it hooked up now it wont turn off and my sub is just making one single thump over and over and the red light flashes on the amp it seems to me all the cords are in proper order the problem happened on the drive home half way email to if u want for help id be very gratful oh and the car is a dodge shadow 89

Post Number: 2
yeah ill be here for a while anybody who can help just to mention the speaker is a 15" mtx 6000 dual coil

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 274
Hey Kevin, you'll have to find out if there's a problem with the amp or HU. Disconnect all rca cable from the amp's input side then power it up. See if the amp's protection light comes on or not. If it's okay, add one rca cable to one channel and test. If it passes again, test the other channel with the same cable. If the first cable fails, try the 2nd one to test.
You might also want to use a walkman's headphone jack to test the amp.
One more thing, check the amp's gain/level control setting. It should be set according to your HU's voltage output, usually around 4v.
If the amp fails all of the above test, it could just be a bad amp.

Post Number: 3
k i tried disconnecting the RC cords and it still let up and sorry im kinda new to this what do u mean by HU and how would i test with my head phone jacks?

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Ok kevin, are you saying you disconnected all rca cables from the amp and it still shut down? If so, check your power cables. See if you're getting constant 12 - 14v. What size fuse are you using? Sometimes if the amp is underpowered, it will shut down. If you have correct voltage and with no rca cable the amp shuts down, you have a bad amp. An amp, if working properly, should never go into protected mode without any input.
I'm guessing during operation, something overloaded the amp's input lines.

Post Number: 4
yeah i disconnected all the rcas and the amp doesnt shut off it just still lights up saying theres a problem the smart system is designed to stay on till u fix the problem. the fuse from my main power cord to the amp is a 60a and the one actually plugged in to the amp is 25 there all fine right now oh and my car doesnt hs a power antenna raise thing so i just hooked up my rem to the same cord that i hooked up my deck so that when i turn the key back wards or start the car they get power

Silver Member

Post Number: 280
Ok then you have one last test left. Disconnect everything except power to the amp. See if that fixes the problem. Sometimes if there's a short on the speaker wires, the amp will also go into protect mode.
Oh and for this testing, connect the remote wire to the same positive wire.

Post Number: 5
ok i tried and the amp turned on green but the after a second the red light turned on again and instead the little beeping noise came from the amp while the light flashed i think i must have ruined my amp some how that sucks

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
Ok before you give up, do you have a extra speaker that you can attach to the amp? It has to be something that's not installed in the car. Some amps needs a load on the speaker terminals.
If that passes, then you have a short on your speaker wires in the car. If not, then yes, you do have an amp problem.

Post Number: 6
well i dont have an extra speaker but i had the amp working this was until i drove home so i think it must have fried the amp cuz i did try just giving it power and still the light flashed it probly an internal problem thx alot for the help im going out now peace
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us