4Runner Sound System

Username: Jwbulger79

Post Number: 2
I recently bought a really nice '84 Toyota 4Runner. Everything about the truck is great, it's all original (except for some high quality off-road upgrades) and it's mint condition inside. However, the sound system is in need of an upgrade. This is the current equipment:

Head Unit: Stock '84 AM/FM cassette player
Front Speakers: 2 4" Polk Audio (fairly new, 3yrs max)
Rear Speakers: 2 6"x9" 3-way Polk Audio (same age)

Yeah it's killin' my ears. I've been doing some research, but I'm very novice and I'm trying not to spend too much on the upgrade. I had something like this in mind:

Head Unit: $150-$250 (Alpine, Sony, Clarion ??)
Amp: $150-$250 4-channel (looked at the Profile CL640 but the more I learn, I think I would be better with a better quality brand with a little less "power")
Front Speakers: Stay with the 4" Polks, add some tweeters. Was looking at some around $25 to $50. I noticed some had built in crossovers. Any good?
Rear Speakers: Stay with the 6X9 3-way Polks.
Sub: one 10" $50-$100 range. SVC or DVC?

My goal is a decent sounding system for now that I can improve on in the future. The first phase is going to be the purchase of the receiver, amp, and tweeters. If I get a reciever with 23.2watts RMS X 4 can I use that to power the tweeters and the 4" Polks, and then use an amp to power the 6x9's in the back? Will it even hook up like that? Enough power if it will?
My next phase will be the purchase of a sub or two. I wanted to then use the amp for the 6x9's and a sub or subs in Triway Mode or 4 channel mode. I probably want to go with just one 10" and then on "Phase 3" buy a second 10" and a nice amp to power the subs and use the original amp for the 6X9's or also the 4"'s if possible.

As you can tell, I'm just getting in to learning about this, however I would like to have some good sound in my truck withouting breaking the bank, at least until I get more experienced. I would appreciate any feedback or advice you could give me; you guys seem very knowledgable in this subject. Thanks!

Username: Kev7706

Post Number: 3
"My goal is a decent sounding system for now that I can improve on in the future."
-Your system will suffer if you keep the Polks, regardless of what you do to improve them. It is simply not worth it to keep them.

All you need is the following:
1. Basic head unit w/ two preamp outputs. I would reccommend a low-level Eclipse, Alpine, or Clarion in that order.
2. One set of component speakers. This is the most important selection you will make. It should also be the most costly of your system. I suggest that you take a listen to different speakers and see what you like. My suggestions include Dynaudio, Focal, Peerless, Morel, Boston Acoustics, and CDT Audio.
3. One 10 or 12 inch Subwoofer with box built to specifications of driver (ported or sealed depending on space available and driver parameters.) I always reccommend Adire Audio Shiva's for someone on a budget.
4. Mono (subwoofer) amplifier and a two-channel amplifier for the fronts. When choosing amps, make sure their specifications satisfy those of your speakers. Some amps are overrated while others are underrated. I would stick to quality manufacturerers of amps such as JBL, Eclipse, JL Audio, Zapco, etc.

In terms of budgeting you can do one thing at a time as money is available. Start with the head unit so you can at least play CDs, then the components, then the sub and its amp, and finally the component's amp. I would also reccommend that you look into Dynamat and its equivalents for sound deadening purposes. This makes a big difference in dB output.

By the way, Toyotas rock

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 102
You can also get one amp to run the whole system. Like a four channel that is bridgeable.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the great advice. I've learned so much since posting that message just from reading this board. I now realize I should be shot for mentioning "Sony" as a Head Unit I was considering buying. Here's the new game plan:

1. Alpine CDA-9827 Head Unit (18w RMS)
2. Kicker or Alpine components. I have my eye on a set of Kicker K65.2 new on ebay for $100. That's right in my budget and I heard they make great components. Any other suggestions for that price range would be greatly appreciated.
3. 4 Channel amp. Found a US Acousics USC4065
65x4 RMS for $139. Also considering the Alpine MRP-F240 40x4 RMS but I heard that they aren't nearly as good as the V12's. Also saw a Coustic 420XR for under $100. Should i buy used on eBay? Any other amp suggestions for under $140?
4. Lastly, I figure an Alpine SWS1042D 10" DVC would go nicely with an amp that size, and it looks really sharp:-) I'm building a custom box for the back of the 4Runner that will fire straight back. Should I get the 2ohm per Voice coil or the 4ohm. Should I bridge the rear channels of the amp or should I just run one channel to each voice coil?

So, scrap the Polks all together huh? Will 18watts RMS from the Head Unit be enough to power the new components until i get an amp? Can i bridge the front and rear channels from the head unit to get more power?

I also plan to take out the seats, carpet, etc. and put Peel-n-Seal (I've heard it's very comparable to Dynamat) throughout the entire truck. I wanted a way to cut down on road noise anyway (33" tires!). I'm Going to put 2 layers up front and on the doors. Any suggestions on this procedure are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the great info.

Post Number: 6
thanks k chat. Toyotas do rock.

Post Number: 7
k chat, I'm liking the Adire Shiva the more I read about it. I've also found a set of CDT Audio
EF-61CFi/20 components on eBay for $200. Good deal? Where's the best place to find some of these brands like Adire, Dynaudio, etc? It seems that most of the online stores only carry Audiovox and Boss crap.

Post Number: 6
Adire Audio products are available directly from their website: https://www.adireaudio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

The CDTs you mentioned retail for $410 so i'll let you decide if they are a good deal. I have never heard them, but I have read mostly positive reviews about CDT in general.

EBay may be the only place to find some high-end brands. Otherwise, you are forced to visit a dealer which may not be close to where you live or may rip you off as they are sometimes required to sell items for a given price.

Woofers Etc. carries Dynaudio
http://www.woofersetc.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=270&1=271&2=1085
Expensive, I know.

Good luck

Post Number: 7
For your amp selection and ohm load questions, definitely consult Glasswolf. He is the master of those who know when it comes to car audio.

The head unit looks fine. It will be enough to power your speakers until about halfway up the volume ladder (depending on speakers) when clipping settles in. In answer to your question, you may run the speakers from it.

I'm sure the Peel-n-Seal will work out fine, though I am not familiar with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
can i bridge front and rear channels to the components to utilize all of the power from the Head Unit until i get an amp? or should i keep the 6x9's for rear fill until i get a sub?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 382
Whoa guy, don't bridge front and rear channels. It's not worth the trouble. Wait till you get a sub.

Post Number: 10
Its not a good idea to bridge power from a head unit. You can keep the 6x9s if you want.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
thanks guys. isaac, i've been reading a lot of your posts, thanks for the good info. k chat, much appreciated man. i've got a couple other posts in other categories if you guys have any input on those it would be greatly appreciated also. this board rocks. i can't tell you how much i've learned in the past few days since i found this site.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us