Expanding foam....

Username: Fahrvegnugen

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 4
Hiya,
I have put Dynamat Xtreme everywhere in my car, and I want to take it further... There was an article some time back in a mag, Sport Compact car, that talked about the benefit of putting expanding foam in key spots in your car for sound deadening, as well as for better handling... I would love to do this, but the company they featured in the mag no longer supplies this product... Anyone have any experience with this, or can point me in the direction of a manufacturer that sells this sort of thing?

Thanks in Advance,
David

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 206
Hey I used the standard expanding filler/foam on my car. It worked great. The one I used, I bought it from hardware store. It hardens to a shiny foam and it also acts as a glue.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5688
hardware stores, home depot, walmart.. just get any brand of expanding or double expanding spray foam.
use it in areas that are difficult to reach, or where you can't use mat as easily.
be careful not to spray too much.. it really DOES expand.. and if it has nowhere to go.. things break.

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 5
I have to disagree, Glass...

I have learned since posting this that you should never use the stuff in a can. It requires moisture to cure it... If it doesn't get it, it doesn't go hard. Not only that, the stuff in cans' expansion rate is too high to use in cars. It can force things apart, as you mentioned... Since posting this, I have learned a few things. I will post more when I have more details and references to post...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5739
yeah it needs moisture to cure, but if it's at all humid where you live, that's not a problem.
It's just a matter of applying the stuff in the proper environment, just like painting a car.
My first choice is still by far to use spray-liner though.
I use LizardSkin myself.
the expanding spray foam (not double or triple expanding) can work, but again, it's for limited use in the few spots nothing else reaches and you need to reduce resonance in metals or plastics.
once it's set up though, it's pretty much there to stay.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Hey Fahrvegnugen, that stuff from a can drives up quick. It fully harden, it takes about a day. I did my car on a cold day, almost no moisture and it still worked.

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 6
Glass, Isaac,

The expanding foam will not cure at its core, this is the trouble. Not only that, but since we all agree it needs moisture to cure, consider the fact that it is hygroscopic(Sp?), that is, it takes on water... Most two-part foams can be, or are recommended in Marine applications because they do not take on water. This is not the case with the single step... My references for this can be found on 3Ms website. I learned this by reading about both the Automix (IIRC) and the Duramix two-part foams they sell...

To each their own... I will post more details once I speak to technical help at 3M sometime Monday...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5761
does any of this really matter if it does what you use it to do?
stop vibration?

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 7
Of course! This car is my baby, and I plan to have it for the long term(lifetime, or as close to it as possible). If I used the stuff in the can I would be worried about corrosion for as long as I own it. This wold not be good. Now if I used the two-part stuff, that body men use, I would be a bit more relaxed about the outcome. And if I indeed did ever sell it, I could report to the future buyer that I did it right...

Does this line of thought seem alien to either of you? I would think that wanting to do a job right would be appreciated, but maybe I am misreading what you are thinking (Glass).

LMK,
David

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Hey there's nothing wrong with doing a job right. I think we (us guys) all start out that way but somewhere down the line, we get distracted by girls, money, and sex! So it can't be our fault. Oh yea, cold weather will surely make you buy canned stuff.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5795
I told ya the "right" way to do it, actually.
you use spray-liner instead of foam and matting.
www.newlizardskin.com I think it their site.
that's all I use in my own car, which is a classic, and I have no intention of selling either.

The thing is, spray foam is cheap. lizardskin is $200/bucket

kklagge
Unregistered guest
the website is actually www.coollizard.com but it's currently not working for some reason. Glass, can you still get this stuff?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5909
ah newlizardskin worked for me, but both seem to be down at the mnoment.
I'll dig around. I have their contact phone number here somewhere too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us