Why no love for Fosgate amps?

Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 6
After looking at their specs and features, they look respectable for the $. I know their old stuff is legendary and they were accused of inflating their power later, but how does their current (2003-2004) stuff stack up? Everyone just seems to say "they suck" or "stay away". Are they unreliable?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5677
nah RF's amps are fine.
they aren't junk per se. they just aren't, to me, what they used to be back in the early 90s.
They are built well enough, and perform as advertised. They are just more of a mass produced mid-level product now, and no longer a high end item like they were.
If you want a good affordable amp, then one from RF would do well. There are other good products as well, in the same price range.

Help2
Unregistered guest
I agree.
Ive installed a bunch of RF's since they changed.
Ive never had a problem with them.
Its average equipment, with a little price boost

Username: Brooks

Tampa, Fl USA

Post Number: 8
Thanks. After reviewing other posts and looking at the "good, bad and ugly" list, I'm leaning toward the Soundstream Rubicon, Orion 2002, 50x2 Zapco and 50x2 Alpine. Any other suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 24
Nothing wrong with RF. McIntosh makes one of the best sounding amps out there. But they cost like a kazillion bucks. You never said what type speakers you're planning to push with your new amp? subs or components? Class D is best for subs (uses less power). I guess you could say I'm an "old-schooler" cuz I'd take a used early 90's PPI, Orion or RF amp over the new ones any day. If using for components, make sure S/N is over 100db and you'll be smiling all the time! eBay has tons of great amps.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5697
of the amps you listed, the zapco is by far the superior product.
alpine would be next followed by the new orion.

class D is the best for subs if current draw or price is an issue.
strictly from a SQ stance though, you can't touch a class-A solid state audio amplifier for transparency, accuracy and clarity.
good class AB amps are about $1/watt or more.
a good class D amp is more on par with about 30 cents per watt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us