Are Coustic Amps any good? (ie - good value, not the worlds best amp)

Terminatermule
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

Am looking at a Coustic 800DB, I can get it for about 80 bucks, bloke reckons it about 3 months old and will demo running, but it is a fair drive for me to get this amp and I don't want to go down there to find its a piece of crap. I don't expect miracles but something that will do its rated wattage (400 RMS at 2 Ohms) and won't die for at least a year would be nice. Is it worth it?

Any views/sarcastic remarks appretiated :-)

Cheers

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5668
I used to sell the Power Logic series amps and was very happy with them for entry level systems

suspended?? user??
Unregistered guest
Do you know if they are available in Austrlia Glass?
probably not as I have never seen them around down here. Any coments on the coustics amps? bad or good are welcome, just want experienced users views on them

Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Thrust

Post Number: 12
Coustic is OK. They are durable but low-end. Why does no one here get GREAT amps from eBay?!? I saw a Precision Power A404 ART SERIES amp go for $100 yesterday!! (Bout broke my heart) and that includes shipping. You can get WAY more of an amplifier ("WAY" in big 8 ft tall letters) for your $80.

Hey Glass, you hear Isaac has a Jensen?

Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 2
I seen that one Tim but I had NO IDEA that it was a good amp - lol. I am going to go have a look for that brand now and see what i can come up with.

Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 191
Heys Tim, I do have Jensen 4125 500W amp. Been abusing it for 4 years and still running great. Sometimes amongst cheap amp, you can find a gem.
I know, I was like you guys, Jensen? Not sure about their other amps but XA4125 was and is a good model to test.
I think it's 125w x 2 4ohms, 172w 2ohms, and 350W rms x 1 @ 4ohms. I use it at 2 ohms with a computer cpu fan. Works great, especially the remote bass control.
It was one of the cheapest amp I ever bought.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5678
want to break your heart?

I saw an auction that had already closed (or I'd have gone after it for sure) for:
2 Kicker CVR12" subs in a carpeted box
1 Orion MBR70 battery regulator
1 Orion GS-500 (yes, a gold plated XTR2250 "beast")
and some other tidbits, cables, etc...

sold for... $150.

The amp alone is worth about $2500.
all MilSpec, hand-tuned and assembled, signed, and 24K gold plated. puts out over 1200 watts @ 4 ohms bridged. class AB.

sad.. *sigh*

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 192
Whoa, that sounded like a bargin! Maybe someone should post bargins like that on here?
I wonder if that's real though bid though. Some of these sellers disappear or cancel bids if it doesn't meet their "hidden price".
I've seen it happen often.

Bronze Member
Username: Bnh142

Post Number: 21
I bought all most of my audio eqipment off of ebay. Used Alpine 9811 for $135 shipped and a RF 150/300 watt mono amp for about 75 bucks shipped. My entire wiring kit including *all* cables for a subwoofer cost be about $7 shipped. Bad thing about Ebay is that the manufacturers may not honor your warranty. I know Alpine doesn't. Rockford Fosgate will if you but from thier Ebay store.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
True, warrantee is a big issue. Me? I'll take my chances to be able to buy some of the gear that I only dreamed about 5 or 10 years ago.

Hey Glass, you seen the GS-1000 currently up for sale? Isn't that sweety .25 ohm stable?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5711
that GS-1000 was called the GS-100 in the US. It's the baby version of the GS-500 that I mentioned.
the GS-1000 is 50x2 @ 4 ohms. 2 ohm stable.
I'm not too sure why they used that name for the amp really.
most of their naming made more sense.. like the GS-500 is 250w x 2 @ 4 ohms. (500 watts)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
so the only reason the GS-100 was so expensive was because it was gold plated??? (sry for the hijack T-mule)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5715
gold plated, hand built and tuned, and optionally signed and engraved to the purchaser.
They were made-to-order amplifiers. special order. not off the shelf.
plus back then, amplifiers were generally more expensive anyway for high end stuff.
These were all milspec components inside, and fully backed by Orion for support.
If youever had a problem or a question, they had a direct line to call for one on one support.

Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 3
its all good - its still a good read :-)

Anonymous

I have owned( and still have in my car) 2 Power Logic amps, one Amp160 and a Amp360. Both of them have not missed a beat in the last 12 years. i I also have a Coustic XM-3e electronic crossover that i have used for about 10 years, and I do belive that it was the first crossover with a remote level knob that you could put at your finger tips to control the output of the subs. I've been out of the game of buying mags and going to sound offs for quite a number of years, but at 33 years old I feel like a older statesman of the car audio game.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us