Will my stock alternator run 2x 1600W amps?

Username: Ticktock

Post Number: 2
just wondering whats going to happen when i get my stuff in the mail... i have bought 2 1600 watt mono block amps to power 2 premier ts-w2000 subs... but i do still have the stock alternator... just wondering if i should expect some problems.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 138
Hey Brendan, you will positively have problems with that much power. First of all, a stock alternator generally supply 65A - 75A the most. If you take that and do a formula, 75 x 12V = 900W. Now if you use your normal devices such as heather/radio/lights, it'll take away power totals from that number.
What'll happen if you connected those 2 amps is, your fuses will blow, then depending on your current wiring, it might burnout or melt.
Before you can enjoy all that power, you'll need to do some upgrading. HO Alternator, new power wiring, 2 - 3 Capacitors, and distribution block.
Oh and you'll need either money to pay someone to install them or lots of manual labour.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5643
which amps are we talking here?
what is the make and model of them?
is this 1600 watts RMS or max?

Post Number: 3
thanks glass, im new to the car audio scene but thats what i figured i would have to do.... they are sony 1600 watt max 900 watt RMS at 2 ohm. and yes i would be doing all of the labour myself ... i am going to buy a 0 guage wiring kit and will soon have a capacitor. what is a distribution block? and why would i need more than one cpacitor? sorry for the noob questions, and thanks for the help

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Hey Brendan, the capacitor is needed to give tight smooth bass. Generally it's 1F per 1000W of power. So if you're going to use 2 amps that's 900W each, you'll need 2.
Power distribution block is required if you're going to add more than one amp. How else are you going to divide up the power wire between 2 amps plus capacitors?

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Oh Brendan, I strongly advice you not to drive the Sony amps to the max. Some of them could cause fire. Most of the time, they'll overheat and break down. Go do some search on Sony products. They could be one of the worst amps ever designed and made by a large company. Surprised noone's suing Sony.

Post Number: 4
okay, so im looking at HO alternators...my head unit is 80Watt + RMS 2X 900Watt RMS + 50W for the rest of car?? so would i need higher than a 200A alternator?

Username: Thrust

Post Number: 5
sniff! sniff! what's that smell?

Silver Member

Post Number: 174
200A will power up to 2500W, but I wouldn't be operating any heater/air conditioner and lights at the same time!

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5655
eh those Sony amps would have a hard time putting out 900 watts a piece to be honest.
you may want to read these two pages on caps and charging systems.
after that, you can think about what you'll need.
at first, I'd try those amps with the stock system just to see if you have any trouble before spending money on alternators.

http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Hey I think it's time we all mass email Sony and tell them just how we love their products!
*grin*
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us