Noob question - Will this amp drive these subs?

Terminatermule
Unregistered guest
Hi all,

Will an Alpine MRD-M501 Drive 2 12" dual 2 Ohm subs? I don't want it to break the glass but would like it to have a fair bit of punch still. I have only had a 10" Alpine previously driven by a crap amp so I am not sure if this amp will cope with these subs, the 2 subs are 800 Watts RMS each and the amp claims 550 watts RMS x1 at 2 Ohms. If hooked up correctly will it cope, or will it burn out the voice coils from a lack of current appearing like constant DC voltage to the speaker?
I am going to get another amp in the future but would like one that can drive both subs for now and be used later for just one sub per amp.

"http://monstaperformance.com/Audio/alpine/alpm501.jpg"

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Username: Thrust

Post Number: 6
ANY amp will push ANY speaker. Just because a speaker has a max rms of 800w does not mean you have to have an 800w amp to push it. 275w to each of those subs should hit pretty darn good. Just be ready to wear one of those hearing impaired signs around your neck when you're 60

Terminatermule
Unregistered guest
COOL!! Thanks Tim - I just have no concept of how many watts will sound loud and how many won't, thanks for your reply.

Cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us