Proper amp for component speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 14
I have MB Quart RCE 216 component speakers. The amp I have to push them is an older PPI amp. I believe it is mono as it has 300Wx1 on the underside. Would this mean each speaker would get 150W. Confused and need advice. Also someone else suggested that class D amps are not good for component speakers. What does this mean and do I have a class D amp?

Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4
Hello there, 300W x 1 means you'll get 300 watts total in one channel. Let's say you had 2 channel amp, you bridge it, then it'll become 1 channel. If you look carefully it might also say peak or rms. If it's rms then it's the real power. Peak numbers are all garbage.
Now about your speakers, if their power rating is 150W, then you'll blow them. You need to match the speaker power and the amp. So 300W amp needs 300W speakers. It doesn't matter how many speakers you use, the amp will supply 300 watts.
A class D amp is only used for subs. You can't use it on a full range speakers cause you only get bass from it. If your goal is to have full sound (low, mid, and highs), then you can't use the Class D amps.
Also, if you had a class D amp, it'll say right on the amp.
Hope that helps.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2556
Which PPI amp was it?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 15
Jonathan, the amp is PPI 2150M. It says
2x150W RMS
300W @ .02% THD
4 ohm load 12 volts DC
What does all this mean and will it work for my component speakers? Thanks.

Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 4
quote: "You can't use it on a full range speakers cause you only get bass from it."

this isn't really true. class-D amps can reproduce mid and high frequencies, but they usually do not sound as good as class-AB amps. the way the amp is designed gives it efficiency but not the best sonic accuracy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us