Battery life.

Username: Krish

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I'm totally new to this car audio stuff. All I had was a 99 corolla with its company speakers and AM/FM system. I upgraded it to Pioneer speakers and CD/mp3 player and also bought a Kenwood Amp and a Pioneer 10" sub. Now everything is fine, except my head lights go dim when I increase the bass. I was told that I have to buy capacitors to avoid that. Now my question is, if i'm not using capacitors will that kill my car battery's life?, (i'm not using sub at its full power).
Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
Krish

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 854
the battery is only used when the ar engine is turned off.
when the engine is running the battery is in a cahrging state, and the car's alternator supplies all electrical current.
if the lights are dimming, your alternator needs to be upgraded to a higher output alternator.
capacitors are a sales gimmick, and won't help in actuality. Capacitors don't create electrical current. They only store a small amount of it then release as needed. They deplete in under a minute, and you're right back to the same problem again.

easy answer:
battery is fine.
alternator needs to be upgraded.
no way around this other than to remove the amplifier from your system.

Username: Krish

Post Number: 2
Glasswolf,
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
What kind of alternator should I buy? will the car service people sell/install them or I should go to the car-audio installation people for this again?
Thanks a lot again.
Krish

Post Number: 866
check:
www.ebay.com
www.mralternator.com
www.4alterstart.com
then check with local starter and alternator shops. see if they can rewind yours to beef it up, or if they can order in a drop-in replacement of a larger size.

price will vary by size and make as well as type of car.

Username: Zen936

Post Number: 33
What's the drawback of rewinding alternators?

Post Number: 871
no real big drawbacks.. many alternators use the same casings and different guts for various outputs.

some higher power alternators will have custom casings that are chromed or offer better cooling by venting the casing. That's about all.

An alternator shop will only rewind a stock alternator if they can do it, and do it well. They know exactly how far they can safely rewind one for higher output without running into any problems from heat etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us