Alpine CDA-9833, Perfect 6.1 and 5.1 Component System? Need help with internal EQ, Crossover and External Crossover?

Username: Yinyang

CA

Post Number: 3
Equipment used:

Alpine CDA-9833
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 and 5.1 Component Systems.
No External Amp.

I know nothing about how to use an EQ and Crossover. Do I need to adjust anything to the Alpine's EQ and Crossover? I don't think I would have to since I have premium components all around, but do I need to adjust the Alpine's Crossover at all? Won't the Perfect 6.1's and 5.1's external crossovers do all the adjustments for me? I'm a bit confused on what I should adjust. Please, help with any opinions. thanks in advance.

CA

Post Number: 5
ok, maybe I've got ppl. stumped about this question of mine. Let me try and make this simpler. Since my components already have external crossovers... do I NEED to make any crossover and or EQ adjustments to the Alpine CDA-9833?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5145
set XO on the alpine to 100Hz high pass for both component sets with a slope of 12 or 18dB/octave.
that'll prevent them from bottoming out.
if you use subs, set LPF to 80Hz, 18dB slope.

EQ settings are personal taste unless you have an RTA to set them for accuracy.

CA

Post Number: 6
The XO option menu on the alpine goes in this order for a 2-way setup:

step 1: Desired parameter: LOW (Subwoofer) -> MID -> HIGH

step 2: Adjustable frequency bands: 20Hz to 200Hz (in 1/3 octave steps)(adjustable for each parameter (LOW, Mid, High))

step 3: Adjustable slope:
(adjustable for each parameter (Low, Mid, High)) 0 (Flat (OFF)),
1 (6 dB/oct.),
2 (12 dB/oct.),
3 (18 dB/oct.),
4 (24 dB/oct.)

step 4: Adjustable output level: -12 to 0 db (adjustable for each parameter (LOW, Mid, High))

My question is when I set the Mids to "0" (FLAT) why do I hear much more bass coming from the mid-range speakers and will it be better to set them at 24 dB/oct. rather than at 18 dB/oct. like you suggested? If you can provide better settings for all the functions above that I've just listed; please do so. I need the correct setup. I'm a newbie at this so thanks for your guidance and patients Glasswolf.

P.s. what do you mean by "bottoming out"?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5165
the shallower the slope, the more sound you'll hear below the crossover point.
each octave is half of the previous frequency, and the dB setting is how much quieter the audio is each octave down.
at 0, there is NO roll off. for midrange, 12dB is fine for roll off.
subs, you want to roll up and off steeply to preserve the sharp bass, so its not boomy or muddy. use a steeper slope like 18dB for subs

here's more on slope:
http://www.bcae1.com/xovrslop.htm
and EQs
http://www.bcae1.com/elecxovr.htm

bottoming out means the speaker is trying to produce frequencies lower than it can handle, so it just distorts instead of actually playing the notes. blocking lower frequencies from the speakers lets them play louder without distorting.

Bronze Member

CA

Post Number: 12
GlassWolf,

Here are my XO settings in the Alpine 9833 HU so far.

2-way XO setting:

Lows -0 phase, 80Hz, 18 dB/oct
Mids -0 phase, 100KHz, 12 dB/oct
Highs -0 phase, 125Khz, 12 dB/oct

Question: will it be safe if I set it up so that the Mids are 80Hz instead of 100Khz and the Highs at 100Khz instead of 125Khz without worrying about damaging anything? Appreciate the help.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5473
that'd be 100Hz and 125Hz
sure

Unregistered guest
How do I know what the output level should be set on to send to an alpine amp for sub and amp for other speakers?

swiftsword69
Unregistered guest
I've got a 9835. Heres my current settings, SUB W @ 80hz -2 12gb slope. Rear coaxial @ 100hz -2 12db slope and front components set @ 80hz -3 24db slope. I prefer a bit more punch from my 12 inch sealed box sub, but i dont want it to dominate the mid range. I would still like to hear detail from the mid range coming out of the speakers. Are my current settings ideal to achieve what i want? or any suggestions for changes?? Any help appreciated

swiftsword69
Unregistered guest
I've got a 9835. Heres my current settings, SUB W @ 80hz -2 12gb slope. Rear coaxial @ 100hz -2 12db slope and front components set @ 80hz -3 24db slope. I prefer a bit more punch from my 12 inch sealed box sub, but i dont want it to dominate the mid range. I would still like to hear detail from the mid range coming out of the speakers. Are my current settings ideal to achieve what i want? or any suggestions for changes?? Any help appreciated

Username: Firlefanz

Post Number: 2
@JTran
your first question was, if youd need to change settings in the HU when you do have external XOs.

If you want to use the external then the answer is no.
If you want to control the frequencies from the HU , you have to change the as in the post above. But you need to wire each speaker seperately. Depending on the quality of the XO's you should be better of using the HU.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8386
Dirk, this thread is over a month old.
please check the last thread post date before opening dead threads..

thank you

Username: Adolfo_63

Houston, Texas Usa

Hey guys...I need some help with my Alpine CDA-9855 ... I cant have access to the equalizer... I want to setup the treble by myself to increase the tweeters' sound. Just in case may car has 4(2 in the fron and 2 in the back) 6" 1/2 component speakers Infinity, 2 12" subwoofers Polk.....and 2 amplifiers. Thank you
Edwin

Anonymous

Glass meant to say ALMOST A YEAR OLD
& UP COMES ANOTHER GUY HIJACKING A DEAD THREAD - HA HA . No wonder some of the more posted members get vex over stuff like this !

Edwin : dude ,u will get help starting a new thread , this 1 was created in OCT 2004 !!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Josephman

ok here it goes i have a problem so i have the CDA-9853 i think its excellent i have majors problems with it but if someone could please help me out with this one issue. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi lancer with the 9853 i have Alpine type S 2-way 6 1/2's in the rear with clarion 6 1/2's 2 way in front i got 2-way speakers because i want all my high and mids in the car and no lows. so here is my problem i dont now how to use the x-crossover properly or the time correction i need to equilize the speaker system out enough to stop having the distorting bass in the car it sounds good but i know it could sound better. i went to Alpine web site to use the I-peronilize but i have no idea what i was doing could someone please help me maybe go to the website adjust the things as needed and send me the file looking at all those number is like looking at german to me so if someone could please help me out with the equilizing of my car that would be awsome.
-Joseph-

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 760
Jospeh this thread is over a 2 years old.
please check the last thread post date before opening dead threads..

thank you LMAO...LOL....post a new thread

Username: Wayne

LAKE CITY, FL USA

Post Number: 1
thank g-d i found your site,have a 9833, battery went dead 2 yrs ago,can not get the right sound. i think i have to adjust the eq setting, there are 1,2,3,4,5 settings, dont know what they mean ,even would pay for someone to get the right sound, im in new york 5 radio shops did not know what to do? please refer me to a shop , that might help ; thanks in advance way.other wise need to get a new unit? easier since im a layman
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us