Low output with amp installation using 12" mtx thunder 8000

Username: Jrwmu31

South Bend, Indiana US

Post Number: 1
If someone could help me I would really appreciate it. I have searched through the site and read about high level inputs. I read that these do limit frequency response but by how much? My setup is a 2003 honda accord coupe, stock HU, 12" MTX Thunder 8000, Profile Clarus800. I am using High level-inputs. I am using 8ga power and ground cables. Everythin works fine no distortion but my amp is turned up almost all the way and is rated at 600w X 1 @ 4ohm rms bridged(this is how it is wired). With this setup my sub should thump. It does sound somewhat loud but i know it should be louder with approximately 500w going to it. I know it isnt the top of the line amp but I was wondering if the high-level inputs limit the setup this much or if it is the 8ga power wire limiting power potential. I have the inputs running from back 6x9's. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4723
the amplifier is rated for 600 watts RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged.
that should be enough power for a single MTX 8000 12" sub.
if your gains are turned all the way up this would indicate a very weak input signal for the amplifier, so this is my suggestion:

you want to either replace your head unit entirely and get a good RCA line level signal for the amplifier, or at least look at getting a line level reducer/converter that allows you to set the line voltage so you can boost the signal a bit going to the amplifier.
Having your amp gain set nearly at full will produce clipping which will damage your sub.

South Bend, Indiana US

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply...With the line level converter I will have to get it as close to the head unit as possible to eliminate noise correct? If so how do I go about removing the head unit? The new accords stock HU seems as if it were built into the dash like a safe into a wall...

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4749
a haynes manual would be your best bet.

South Bend, Indiana US

Post Number: 3
Ok I have been looking at stinger LOCs...I was wondering if stinger makes good converters? If not who does at an affordable price? Also I was wondering since there are many differences which one will I need? The 35w x 2, or the 55w x 2...etc? Also is there a science behind adjusting the LOC gain or just adjust until it sounds good? Thanks so much.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4767
Stinger is fine.
you'll want to match the LOC to the approximate output of your head unit.
you can use a scope to set the LOC's gain, but mostly you could just do it by ear.. when you hear distortion, back off a bit and leave it there.
set the amplifier's gain no higher than half way. usually bit lower.. then you can set the LOC gain to meet whatever voltage that turns out to be.

South Bend, Indiana US

Post Number: 4
Thank You for taking the time and replying to my questions. Its good to know I can recieve help! Thanks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us