Rental needs a system 4 roadtrip...URGENT need help by 10/13/04

Username: Odddoylerules

Post Number: 4
Hey, I am renting A 2004 Mazda 3 hatch for a road trip. To make it a little cooler, were removing the intake silencer and putting an amp and subs in it. The plan is to run a fused hot with a switch to the amp, and then ground it however we can, using the speaker leads for input since the amp can hook up that way, but we dont know what to do about the blue remote activation wire. What do we have to do to make this all work? What else will we need to consider? will this WORK? we think it will, and it'll be so worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 136
remote wire is easy, just run to accessories fuse in the fuse box, but not sure I'd be putting stuff into a rental myself. your call though, make sure you pay for the extra insurance :-P

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 647
seems like a waste of time, to do all that wiring, i guess it all depends upon how long the road trip is. Personally i dont like listening to my bass on the highway system.

Post Number: 5
so i just have to run it to a fused switched power source? it doesnt have to be any specific power just a power signal going to the amp? could i use a line to the battery with a switch in it? Consider, all the wires are gonna be routed OUTSIDE of the car. Does anyone refute that the blue wire just needs to be a switched 12 source? I'd feel a lot better if someone had say put a multimeter on their blue wire while they activated the head unit.... but what are the odds anyones done that.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2203
Remote output is 12V. All it does is send power to a relay that turns on the amp with power applied.

Bronze Member
Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 21
I think if its a really long trip go ahead and do the install. You dont need to hide the wires or anything since its not your car. just run power through the firewall and run it back to the amp. The only thing thats a little shady is the groun. your gonna have to sand down some paint. But if you do it under carpet or some hidden place. The rental place will never know ;). I suggest you get some "3m wire taps" for all your wiring. That way you wont have to cut/ splice any wires. The taps just tap into the wire and you could remove it after with almost no trace. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 447
I just hope Avis doesn't read these forums.

:P

-Fishy

Post Number: 6
its just a 12v relay? great. Thanks a lot guys, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2212
The remote input is 12V yes. All you do is run any 12V source to it and it'll work great. Good luck, how long is this trip, anyway?

Silver Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 105
System in a rental, seems like a lot of work but if you want the sound for a road trip...not too crazy an idea.

Imagine a 75 shot of Nitrous in a rented Focus ... I've seen it done. Bottle duck-taped to the passenger seat, NO2 line running out the window and closed in the hood at the cowl, no safety devices, no care that there's a bottle of death sitting in the car next to the driver.

I've got video of it somewhere... nuts!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2230
It's no worse than what people used to do to the Hertz rental Shelby Cobra Mustangs. The majority of the cars would return to Hertz and still have the shoe polish on the windows from the track, lol...

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 489
Yep, and sometimes come back with a slightly different 289 aboard, one minus that critical "HIPO" label.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 490
Installing a temporary bass system is a rather tame endeavor compared to a full blow engine swap.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2234
Yeah. Too bad they'd notice if you stole the supercharger, I'd LOVE to find a hi-po supercharged model somewhere. Of course, you can just buy a kit from Paxton for it now, but it's not quite the same :-). You'd think the rental company would notice that loss of clatter from the mechanical lifters, and the smooth idle, but lots of people pulled it off. That hipo cam gave the car a pretty wicked lope, especially for a factory car.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 495
I was sposed to inherit a green Shelby from my grandmother believe it or not, but it got sold. Probably a good thing. I most likely would have wrapped it around a tree, telphone pole, or some other immovable object.

My cousin did purchase a '69 Mach I(351 windsor) in its memory however. Not quite the same thing tho.

:-(

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2236
Not quite, but a great car nonetheless. I'm torn between what I'm gonna choose next, hmmmm... Plenty of options, I'm thinking of either:
67 Mustang Fastback
70 or 71 Torino GT (blacked out grille, flat black hood similar to the Torino Cobra, Chin spoiler, etc.)
70 Fairlane 500
It's down to cruise or really fast, I can't make my mind up, I want both :-) God I wish I kept my first 67 Mustang that I put the 427 SOHC in, I'll never find that motor so cheap again.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 502
Man if you play video games at all Jonathan you would have loved MCO(Motor City Online).

http://www.racingnationonline.com/article.php?story=20031019205103774

There's your Torino Cobra('69 anyways). I was addicted to that stupid game for like 2 years and spent probably 90% of my free time glued to the computer screen. You could stick any engine in any car and had access to all sorts of engine, suspension, aero parts, etc. You built your own engines and had access to a "dyno" that gave all different kind of estimates on how your car would perform. Setting up a car was both an art and a science.

And since this was an online only game you interacted with a bunch of "knowledgeable" players, traded and bought rare parts, and even had special tournament where you'd could win ultra rare cars. I swear I learned 90% of what I know about muscle cars or just vehicles in general from that online game.

lol, imagine a Chevy 502 in a '65 stang on dirt. Crazy.

:-)

-Fishy

Username: Krazy_karl

Kansas City, USA

Post Number: 9
We once put an amp, truck box with subs and highs into a U-Haul to drive from KC to San Diego. Ran it all off the headphone out of a Portable CD Player, wired the remote off the hot with an inline switch to turn it off. Drove straight through, towing a car...36 hrs. Boxed it all back up and returned it when I got home. Full credit!

Username: Protrex

Post Number: 4
Wow, thank god for return policies? eeh?

-Jamie
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us