Guage of speaker wire for car...

Bronze Member
Username: Dinkster9

Post Number: 14
Just wondering if max length of 14 feet or so, running max power of 65watts or so through, if 16guage is enough, or should possible 14 or 12 guage be used?

Secondly what's the take on things like speedwire where 8-9 wires are all in the same cable, does anyone make one of these in any guage besides 18?

will check this site out too, no time for now..

http://www.roger-russell.com/

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 111
I perfer 14 guage, but for that amount of watts 16 should be fine. As for speed wire no need to spend extra. Use some zip ties if you want all your wires ran together.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4688
actually you'd even be ok with 18ga.
speaker wire doesn't require the large size power cable does, because you're not running high direct current through it.. the signal is a high voltage AC signal so you don't get the heat build-up as with power cable.
As for bundling wire together, as long as each signal line is shielded, and you keep power and signal lines on opposite sides of the car, you're fine. (power and remote triggers on one side, speaker wire and RCA or DIN down the other)

Mr. Russell is a very interesting guy, too.
McIntosh, now owned by DCM, Inc (parent company to Denon and Marantz home audio) makes some fantastic tube-based amplifiers for the home, and very good class AB amplifiers for the car, if you have the $1,500+ for their products to go into your car or the $15,000+ for the house.

Bronze Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 99
Hey Glass does this apply to wire running from an amp to the speakers too? I have a 100 per channel rms amp and the clowns that installed it used what looks like 18 ga cable, was considering moving to thicker cable but am I good to go with what I have??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5424
that was in regards to amp-to-speaker runs.
18ga is fine.
anything bigger is really just for looks, which is fine.. it won't harm anything, it just isn't going to 'help.'

In my car, since it's for show, I used some shiny 14ga stuff for the front stage, and 12ga for the subs.. but really that was just so it looks good. I could have gone down a size with no real loss.

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 104
thanks Glass
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us