Trunk rattle and dynamat

Username: Ha_split_lf

Post Number: 8
i have right now 1 12'' oz audio sub thats not really that powerful and it rattles the sh!t out of my rear deck and trunk lid. im getting a jl w6 and a zapco amp that are going to be much more powerful than what i have. if i put dynamat or something of that nature into my trunk would that do anything noticable to the rattling?

Username: Smhuosrktays

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 1
yes it will, I have dynamat install in all 4 doors of my car and in my trunk, I used to notice lots of rattling until I put it in. Dont be surprised(if you install dynamat) if your trunk still rattles a little bit.

Username: Frammy

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
my whole car is dynomated, doors, roof, trunk, it did make a difference but its still quite noticable. it makes a huge difference inside though. check your license plate, mine rattled a lot, dynomat has a license plate piece u can buy.

Username: Smhuosrktays

Rochester, New York USA

Post Number: 6
Is it really noticable on the roof? I have my trunk, and all 4 of my doors done, as well as my lisence plate.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 106
Yes the roof will make a big diffrence. Think about it this way. What is the largest peice of metal with the least amount of support braces running across it.

Bronze Member
Username: Ha_split_lf

Post Number: 17
i did my four doors and trunk now i want to do my floor. from what ive heard the floor is more beneficial to deaden than the roof because in most cases the roof will have good enough insulation on it. Not trying to say its not a good idea to do the roof but i plan on doing my floor next.

Username: Switchmaster

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 3
there is also similar stuff made by RF called deadskin.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 109
Joe you are correct that the floor makes a bigger diffrence than the roof. But all of the cars I have done the roof has not had any insulation. If you are curious about your roof simply knock on it like you do a door. (not to hard though) Tap on your doors were you have put the dynamat, then tap on the roof. You will notice a big diffrence in the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4690
any resonating metal should be deadened.
roof, doors, trunk, floors..
if you can swing it, ideally, just spray-line the intire interior of the vehicle if you want to do the job right.
then use your mat and expanding spray foam to hit any areas still causing trouble, like plastic panels.

Username: Swishblank88

Vashon Island, WA USA

Post Number: 1
Also, if you want a cheaper alternative this stuff called fatmat, im sure some of you have heard about it, does a killer job for like half the price of dynamat. They also make some thicker like 50 mil or so linings called rattle trap that insulate and deaden any resonant sound from road noise or even sheet metal vibration quite a bit better than dynamat or even dynamat extreme. But hey if you got the money what the hell.

Bronze Member
Username: Hdubb

Farminton, Nm Usa

Post Number: 11
hey nick where can i get fatmat

Scarenius
Unregistered guest
You people should read more. Dynamat and similars is just too expensive. Look for Peel&seel insulation from lowes or home depot. $25 a roll. Blah, does the same, if you need 2 layers it's still half the price.

Username: Fahrvegnugen

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
fatmat.com is where you can buy the fatmat from...

As for Dynamat, I recommend Dynamat Xtreme. It has an aluminum foil backing, and if used on the roof, the car is much cooler! I did my Rabbit, and it is amazing stuff... Also, if you do not like the retail price, go to Ebay.com, they have the big boxes (36sq ft) for 100.00 ea, retail is 250.00!

Hope that helps,
David

Anonymous

heres a little trick i did to stop licencse plate rattling : i cut some left over dynamat and stuff it to the back of it. It worked great

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 362
That's a good price for dynamat. At FutureShop/Best Buy, they charge $100 for 12 sq ft! Talk about robbing customers.

Bronze Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 61
down with best buy. they sell everything for like double the price of whats worth. i went to buy a new fuse and they had 2 60 amp fuses for like 17 bucks.(they were rf) then i e=went the rf shop and bought 2 100amp fuses for eight. i hate best buy. the employees can't answer a single question, and all they sell is low end RFs and overpriced decks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Whoa, talk about a rip off. I went to Best Buy the other day and saw that same fuse. I didn't buy it cause it only contained 2! Who's crazy enough to pay for 2 when you can get 4?
I paid $3 for 5 100A fuses :-)
Ever since Best Buy bought out Futureshop, they charge customers FULL RETAIL prices. Whatever happend to federal regulations to stop this kind of robbery?

Bronze Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 63
best buy also told me, (before i knew anything )that 6x9s would be an easy fit into my car, so i think they are professionals, and go buy 6x9s. when i take out my linear, i found out that that they are 5 1/2s and the only way that i am going to get them to fit is to cut! thats a real easy fit. bunch of f*cking sh*theads. I am going to burn down all the best buys and start a revolution. :-) just kidding. about the sh*thead part

Bronze Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 66
this is what im talking aboutUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
You should make one for Futureshop cause Best Buy owns them.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Post Number: 22
Peel-n-Seal. i've read a lot of good comments on the stuff. 100 square feet for $90 here:

http://www.abccatalog.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=2579950436

Bronze Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 77
JESUS thats a lot of peel n' seal. more than i need,you could do all the cars in your whole neighborhood

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 8
It took me about 80 sq. ft to do my Rabbit right... You might be suprised. But then again, I did my whole car, roof, ceiling, doors, etc...

Bronze Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 79
thats alot, did you double it up in some places

Silver Member

Post Number: 403
If you use all of that, you might end up with no skin left on your thumbs. They are sticky.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Post Number: 26
i have an '84 4Runner that has absolutely no insulation. i've ordered the Peel-n-Seal and i expect to use all of it. my rough approximation of interior surface is about 83.5 square feet with factoring in the curvature of the floor. i might need more to double up in all the places i would like to. Lowe's carries a similar product called Reflectix(http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=13353-56291-ST16025). it's doesnt have adhevise backing, however i figure i can use this for the second layer on the floor and firewall with a little 3M spray adhesive. i'm going to put two layers on the doors, inside firewall, and on floor in front of front seats. i'll put one layer throughout the rest of the vehicle including the floor but not the roof. also gonna put some behind the A-pillars between windshield and front door windows. i've never done this before but from the research i have done this seems like a good strategy. hope it helps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
Hey JW, I am not sure if doubling up will yeild 2x the benefit. I could be wrong, but the whole idea of applying the product was to better absorb the sound. At least in theory, it doesn't make sense. One layer should be enough, if done properly.

Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Post Number: 9
I would think that would help, depending on how bad the rattles are in a given spot... And with how good the material used is for this purpose...

My .02

Silver Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 113
Get weatherlock in the roofing section at Lowe's. 60 bucks for 33 square feet. Helped me A LOT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us