Brands Ranking

Hormila
Unregistered guest
Can ppl put the ranking of their believe for the brands for Car Amplifier ? Top 10

1. Rockford ( Good quality and good wide range of product)
2. Alpine ( Good Price )
3. Alphasonik ( good Quality)
4. Phoenix
5. Pioneer
6. Sony (good looks as usual)
7. Clarion ( Good old brand for quality)
8. SPL
9. Crunch
10. Precision Power

Please advise and see yr good choice

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 348
I'd just look at Glasswolf's list.

http://p079.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=48.topic

I can't believe you have PPI at the bottom of your list. Maybe their newer foreign built stuff ain't so good, but I think I'd still rate them at the top of that list you have there. Their older stuff was incredibly good.

I guess my short list for new stuff would be.

1. McIntosh
2. Zapco
3. Arc Audio
4. Xtant
5. JL Audio

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2071
I like:
Zapco
Arc Audio
Audison
US Amps
JL Audio
Eclipse
TRU Technology
Brax
Mcintosh
In no particular order, all of them are great.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2074
Sinfoni, MMATS and Butler(tube amps) are excellent as well.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 352
Hey Jonathan, whats been your experience with the upper end Xtant stuff: x, c, and ix series etc?

I just love the way the older stuff looks and they seem to be very precise(almost clinical) and have loads of reserve power. I've heard warmer sounding amps tho.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Boopers

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 122
sheesh, everyone hyped the jbl amps but not mentioned by fishy or jonathan... poo and I just bought one

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 355
If you wanna start a "Most Bang for the Buck" list I'd say it'd be very near the top but its in the discontinued/used category so I don't know if that counts.

What you pay for yours?

I think they were goin for like $500 new at one time. Thats about what an Xtant 6.1 normally goes for.

The 600.1 also produces about the same power both into 2 and 1 ohms which makes it much easier to match to a set of subs impedance-wise. Big plus when recommending amps to the less informed.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 124
got my 1200.1 for 205.50

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 357
Wow, thats awesome.

I should be gettin a mint Xtant 1001dx that'll match my old 4180c perfectly on Thur(they gonna look SO cool together :P). Won it for for $315 but paid out the nose for shipping/insurance($35), but still I'm very happy.

I can't believe I've never had a pair of matching amps in the 20+ yrs I've had systems. The pair of B stock Yamahas I had in High School don't count.

:-)

-Fishy

Username: Krazy_karl

Kansas City, USA

Post Number: 3
I think Hormilla's list is definitely under suspicion. When Sony, SPL and Crunch are in the TOP 10 it makes me wonder.

I'm with Fishy on the PPI (older stuff) but I'm partially biased since I'm in love with my ART A404 and A300.2 (matching set btw). I got them cheap from a guy who was buying a McIntosh system to replace them. We actually flipped a coin to see who got the buy the McIntosh at employee purchase price (only one set left at the time). He won the toss and sold me the PPI for less than his Mc was going to cost. He threw in the Audio Control EQX since he was using the McIntosh built in EQ/XO.

I think a lot of this has to do with how you use the amp. In High School I had a Legacy 4x75W bridged to a couple of 12" M&M Godfathers. I would go to a friends house and he would be waiting outside for me because he heard me coming like 5 minutes before I was there. I know the Legacy was crummy but it was in my price range (cheap) and had enough power to get the job done. I (we) talk bad about Sony, SPL and Crunch but the fact is, we've all heard somebody's system that sounded pretty nice and were surprised to find out that it was with a Pyramid amp and a couple of Sherwood subs. I think the point of this discussion is to make an informed buying decision based on other people's experience (both personal and professional) and try to get the most *value* for your dollar.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2094
Haven't used or tested the Xtants as much, the few I've dealt with have been outstanding amps, I just don't have as much experience with them. That's why we need like you on the board, to broaden the horizons of us brand stuck, narrow minded audiophiles :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2095
Oh, and as far as amps that aren't produced anymore, PPI Art series and 1st gen Orion SX and XTR models are definately at the top of my list.

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 366
Yeah sometimes its real hard to get away from "Brand Worship" which is why I asked your opinion. Being labeled this forum's Xtant fanboy is definitely not my intention.

I sometimes wonder if the cool way "my" line of Xtants look and are laid out with the modules and such increases the "Neat Factor" to a point where it actually makes my system sound better.

:P

But hey, car audio isn't just a totally acoustic package now is it? They give out style points, right?

I just wish I had the money and the time to stick every decent amp and sub and highs combo I could find in my Explorer just to see how they sound. The discovery part is every bit as enjoyable for me as the actual listening.

lol, but I'd take some decent enclosure design/cabin modeling software to start with.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 35
But the spending money part is the sucky part.. i say we get Bill Gates To sponcer all of us and we build the best system in like a Surburban or somethin big..like a bus LOL

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2101
Looks are important to most. I mean I could care less as long as a speaker system doesn't look like a giant a$$hole or something. Marketing hype is deceptive. I love Zapco amps, but really they overhype damping and slew rate. I mean it's important, but it won't make the huge difference a lot of people are made to think it will, b/c after a certain point it becomes inaudible. Damping doesn't only indicate the damping though, it can tell you how good the transistors, etc. are. That's why I look at it. I highly doubt most people would notice a difference between an amp with a damping factor of 50 and one with 500+. If anything, they're noticing either power differences or just the sonic character (distortion produced, etc.) of the amps being compared. You hear listeners say that tube amps have great bass extension, sound an octave lower, tight bass yada yada yada, when tube amps have worse damping at low frequencies than transistor amps do.

ROMANY
Unregistered guest
It is very hard to tell because all the amp are at different level. We just can not compare with that... According to yr list I think what you are looking for is cheaper amplifier. Let's set a range (<US$200), 2 channels amp.

my top 6 is

1. PPI
2. Rockford Fosgate
3. Matsui
4. Alpine
5. Phenenix Gold
6. Pioneer
999. Sony

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2133
JBL and Cadence make some of the best cheaper amps.

Bronze Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 42
where can u find cadence amps jonathan

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2142
They're on www.woofersetc.com JBLs tend to be a little cheaper, but Cadence amps are great for the price

Silver Member

Lima, Ohio United states

Post Number: 132
doesn't show any jbls on that site, has them listed but when you pull up the amps it's empty
:-/

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2150
Probably cleared them out, remember that the older BP series was updated. Cardomain has some of the older JBLs, but the BP series is getting scarce nowadays.

Unregistered guest
I have gotten the OK from the wife to get a new amp. I dont know a whole lot about amps so this post has been great. I have two sets of boston pro series components and like to have crystal clear sound uncluttered and powerful without distortion. What would you guys recommend for an amp. I have been looking at a couple different kinds.

Mcintosh on ebay.
Boston's new amps
MB Quart RAA4200 which I could get for 380
and XTAnt

Any help would be great. I just got a new truck and need to get this stereo installed ASAP the one that came with it sucks. Thanks Eric
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us