Need help with the amp wires

Username: Whatthehell1051

Post Number: 2
I have a Legacy amp. I bought a scosche wiring kit. I hooked up everything and my amp doesn't power up. I have a volt tester and the rem and +12 wires are getting power when the car is on and both are in the correct spot on the amp connections. My ground wire is to a screw in my trunk that has other wires grounded to it. Any help?

Bronze Member
Username: Jamesdunn

Post Number: 31
is ur remote ant. wire connected to the amp thats what terns it on when u have the Head unit on.

Username: Whatthehell1051

Post Number: 3
yes, i connected the blue wire to the rem of my amp and the other end to the power ant. and when i turn the car on the volt tester says i have power to it, but still no amp turning on

Username: Donp

Detroit, MI USA

Post Number: 5
I would measure the power right at the amp. You should be getting 12 volts with a light tester or meter at the positive and negative terminal of the amplifier. I have seen a LOT of bad connections. ALso make sure your 12 volt sensing wire is putting out 12 volts as measured at the amp. Make all voltage checks at the amp terminals to be sure your getting voltage there. If you have a test car headlight or other large current device, you may want to test it back there too. Sometimes a poor connection will have voltage but it will be high resistance and not allow much current to flow. Try to test your rear power connections under load if possible.

Unregistered guest
I got a rockwood 1000watt amp and out of no where the amp goes into protect mode. I have checked the main fuse and replaced it i've checked the remotes fuse the recievers and the two fuses on the amp and still the protect light stays on and i can't seem to find out wats the cause of it

audiobahn user
Unregistered guest
i had the same problem and it was because my speaker wires were wired together into one chanel and thats y i couldent get mine to work. my speaker wires had to be on difrent chanals

Unregistered guest
Yea i had recently blown the speakers thas when my amp cut out and i got new ones but they arent wire to the same channel and my amp doesn't smell burnt out at all my groundin wire is directly connected to my car frame all the fuses are new and i have another amp and it wouldn't go out of protect mode either so i have a feeling it has to do something with one of the connection but i can't seem to find what it is

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 493
Recheck your speaker wiring. I had my Xtant 1001dx start making one hellacious screech when I accidentally crimped my speaker wires when I raised my rear seat, effectively shorting one to my chassis. Took me forever to figure out what was up. Thought it was my cap making that horrendous noise.

Make sure everything is wired right, power to pos, ground to neg, rem to rem, etc. If you have a multimeter you can check your speaker wires for the correct resistance(slightly less than the equivalent impedance of your subs) and check to see if one's grounded out by grounding one multimeter lead and checking the resistance at the pos and neg speaker leads.

You should have infinite resistance, or "no load" between a speaker wire and chassis.

-Fishy

Unregistered guest
Well i went and checked all the speaker wires and nothing was crimped or nething. i took apart the sub and everything was fine in there rechecked all the fuses and connections and i still find myself back at the same place, and that is with the protect light on. If you got ne more suggestions i'm ready to check them out but im botu to see if even the professionals can figure this one out. haha. thanx

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2283
Take the meter and check the impedance of the coils of the speakers/sub. It should be close to the DC resistance of the sub. If the sub's voice coils are burnt out then the amp will go into protection. Of course, if you haven't even used that amp and the sub is new, then your sub likely isn't bad.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 117
scott (i connected the blue wire to the rem of my amp and the other end to the power ant) This isn't your problem, but it is something that i see that is incorect. You need to change it to the remote out on the back of your deck, or your amp will only work when the radio is on.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 118
Scott Let me reword that. (345 am brain not worky right) See if it works with the radio on and doesn't with a cd in. If that is correct then my above post is your problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us