Installing amp , battery issue

Username: Followyoursole

Post Number: 5
Im installing a amp to my stock HU tomorrow. My stock HU has the security code feature. So everytime battery is dissconnected I will have to enter the code to get the headunit to work again.

My problem is I dont know the code. Its safer of course to take off the negative cable from the car battery while installation to advoid shorts. But if I take it off my radio will reset and I dont have the code. I dont wanna go through all the trouble of finding a dealer and getting the code. If I just install the amp wiring without dissconnecting the battery will anything bad happen? What are the chances? Any suggestions? Is taking off the negative cable to the battery just bullish? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 168
I don't think anybody can say something WILL happen. BUT do u really want to take that kind of chance? I'm sorry but if it was me I think I'd call the local dealer of whatever auto u have and get the code. It's isn't that big a deal. It no more than a phone call away. And of course unless u live in Zimbabwa that shouldn't matter, not taking into consideration the loss you could incur.

Silver Member
Username: Pat_l

Tucson, AZ USA

Post Number: 618
I would hunt down the code before i do anything. Because something could happen, and you may need the code. But no matter what you will need the code sooner or later, because car batteries dont last for ever and you have to diconnect negitive and ground to replace one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us