Subs cutting out odd problem, please help.

Username: Shadowdream

Michigan

Post Number: 1
Ahead of time, please excuse my newbie-ness. I'd really appreciate that you're gentle with me. ;)

A few months ago, I purchased a 86 300zx that was in good condition other than the front fender and headlight that had gotten damaged in an accident. In the car is a decent stereo setup, mtx blue thunder pro 3002 amp, a pair of 12" polk subs, and (unfortunately) a sony xplod cd player.

The problem I'm having is: When the car starts up, the music is fine, then after a few minutes (not always the same amount of time) the subs will start to sound dirty, pop a few times, and then cut out. If you turn the car off and then back on, or if you turn off and on the head unit (either way resetting the amp), the cycle starts over again. Good sound for a while, then crap, then it cuts out. The amp isn't turning off on its own, and I don't see any warning lights (unless the main light is supposed to be green and not red, but I don't think so)

Any idea what this could be? Is the amp screwed?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 135
it sounds like you have an easy problem. Trace your ground wire thats connected to your amp its most likely loose, just make sure its tightened to the body of the car.

Michigan

Post Number: 2
Hrrm. Went out, checked the wire, even reset it on both the amp and the chassis. Same problem. Changed amps to an older, lower powered one that was laying around the house, that one has the same problem. I guess it's not an amp problem then..
Could it be other wiring? Or maybe the head unit? Or a power problem with the car? (I'm not certian the electrical is all in perfect order, at the same time, I'm not certain there is anything wrong either. I'm in the process of getting that figured out)

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 142
Do you have a test light or a multi meter, so wehn the problem returns you can check each wire to make sure current is flowing. Also when the amp chirps out is it hot. If the amp is hot place it somewhere that air will flow over it freely. With all that checking it might be the alternator going bad. Good luck.

Michigan

Post Number: 3
Thanks. I'll check, I do have a multimeter.
It's not heat, I know that, that was one of the first things checked.
Ugh. Alternator, I don't really want to think about replacing that. Right now I'm sort of broker than broke. heh.
Thanks so much for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 115
Sounds to me like its either a problem with the wiring to the subs(doubtful), the head unit itself, or the rcas to the amp. I doubt BOTH subs would have that weird of a problem at the same time and you seem to have ruled out the amp.

I take it you're running your highs off the h/u. Are they working just fine when your subs start having those seizures? Thats crazy. The restart thing kinda makes me wanna think that the preamp in the h/u might be the culprit. Try swapping out the rca's. If that doesn't work and if your h/u has another set of preouts you might wanna give them a try.

-Fishy

Michigan

Post Number: 4
Thanks. Yeah, the highs are off the h/u and are working just fine. Someone on another forum suggested the RCA's as well, so I'll check those probably Wednesday (the next time I'll have time to pull the thing apart).
Will try changing to the other preouts (if it has them) as well, and I'll post whatever happens.

Thanks much guys. It really helps to have a few other heads to put together for this, esp some who have a clue what they're doing. ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us