Amp Upgrade Help

Username: Markc85038

Post Number: 1
I am currently running 2 Pioneer GM-X944 amps. They seem to be a bit overated as to their actual output, In your opinion, is there going to ba a noticeable difference after doing an upgrade? Is it worth doing? One is powering a pair of Kicker I6903 6x9s and a pair of Kicker RS5 components. Both sets of speakers are rated at 90 rms and 180 peak rms. The other amp is powering a pair of Kicker Solo Baric S12L7 DVC 4 ohm subs wired for 2 ohm amp use. The subs are rated at 750 rms and 1500 peak rms. My HU is an Alpine 7998 and this is installed in a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe.

I am considering Kicker, PPI, Orion, Soundstream and MTX as possible upgrades. I want the best possible combination of spl and sound quality possible without overpowering my current speakers. I would consider other brands at your suggestion.

I also have an Optima yellow top battery and a 160 amp alternator with 2 gauge wire to the trunk.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 599
Kicker KX600.4 and Kicker KX1200.1
those would be a great match to your speakers.

Username: Markc85038

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply GlassWolf. I Have been running the subs in stereo all along. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to going mono? Also, do I have enough electrical system to handle those amps. Are they truly a big upgrade over the Pioneers?

Thanks again

Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 612
huge improvement over the pioneers, yes.
you'll want a high output alternator, but theat's really not as big of a deal as it sounds. I see them on ebay for various cars all the time, brand new, for $200 or less.
everything below about 90Hz is mono anyway (no real stereo separation) so no, there's no disadvantage to running a mono amp for subs.
plus running both subs mono will ensure that they are moving totally in synch together, which means, theoretically at least, more bass since they'll work together.
this is more vital if the two subs share airspace in the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us