Properly tying two stripped wires?

Bronze Member
Username: Decker

Post Number: 21
This is something I have to do at some point during every electronic expedition of mine. But now I got to thinking...

How exactly are you supposed to tie them together?

I usually end up holding the wires so they run parallel then treat then wrap one around the other (the `other` remains straight underneath).

Is there any 'good' way to tie them? That is, so that they of course stay together, and are easily undoable?

johnm
Unregistered guest
Carry a pliers and some tubular crimps with you.
After you twist the wires together but the crimp over it and squeeze it shut with the pliers. It wont come apart.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
If you take a pair of smooth jawed pliers you can twist both legs together as opposed to leaving one leg straight. Start with the stripped wires at a slight angle to each other when you begin twisting. The smooth jawed pliers will not damage the wire surface. If this is unimportant to you a pair of short jawed needle nose pliers will do a good job on wires up to 16AWG stranded. The twists should be as symmetrical as possible. Clip the end to clean the connection. Bend these combined wires back over the top of one of the cables and wrap with tape or shrink tubing. If you wrap with tape, wrap in one direction the entire length of the splice and then wrap again in the opposite direction.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Hint: this is why wire nuts were invented.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us