Do I need special IC cables for SACD/DVD-A?

Username: Milou6

Post Number: 7
Can I just use three pairs of good RCA cables to hook up the 6 channel out to the 6 channel inputs on my receiver? Is there a reason to invest in SACD or DVD-A interconnects? Should I use a "subwoofer cable" between the sub out and the sub in? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 26
I'd say cables make more difference for SACD and DVD-A than for CD. Since these sources provide richer sound, there is more to be lost or maintained in the transfer.

On the other hand I think Hi-rez compliance is a difficult task for manufacturers. Cables must maintain it's qualities (i.e. electrical characteristics) within a much wider frequency range. So far, I haven't seen any vendor being that specific on the virtues of their "SACD bundles".

If you find some good interconnects, please let us know.

Cheers
AL

Bronze Member
Username: 1st61

Post Number: 53
I have the same question to ask. I will buy a player for DVD-A and SACD disks. But the special cables are more expensive than some players.

Acoustic Reasearch cables cost $100
Monster 8 m cables cost $150
And I did not find any other DVD-A & SACD cables.

That's really too expensive. An electronics store employee did recommend me to buy 3 boxes of RCA cables, take out the 3 yellow video cables and use the 6 white and red composite audio cables to cheat the player and receiver. I have to say that guy may not be that tech savvy. I am not sure. Really need help on this.

I do agree with Arnold on what he posted above though.

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 228
There are some 5.1 bundles, like the Cobalt cable's. But I'd say it may be same stuff as stereo cables.

I spent 70 European bucks on Supra Dual RCA for main channels in my modest equipment. It made a small but noticeable difference for 96KHz/24 bits and DSD material. But maybe not enough, I'm still hesitating about such an investment for surround and sub channels.

If you really want to save $, I think the yellow cable can be used for digital interconnect ;-)

Cheers
AL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us