Component Video to 15-Pin RGB Conversion

JeffP
Unregistered guest
I have a ceiling-mounted projector that I'm using for Home Theater. I've been using S-Video, but now I'm ready to upgrade to Component for HD sources.

My receiver and home theater equipment is all Component video. My projector will only accept 15-pin RGB for its' HD-ready inputs. I've seen boxes on the internet that sell for $100-200 to convert Component to 15-pin RGB, but I've also seen simple dongles that are only $20 that look like converters. A few questions:

1. What is the difference between getting a $100 processor-based Component-to-RGB converter, versus just buying a simple connector that makes the conversion?

2. Because it's ceiling mounted, my cable run will be about 40 feet. Is there any preference to any of the following connection options?
o Buy a custom cable that is Component on one end and 15-pin RGB on the other
o Convert right at the video source to 15-pin RGB, and run a 40-foot, 15-pin RGB cable from the source to the projector
o Convert at the projector, and run a 40-foot Component cable from the source to the projector

JeffP
Unregistered guest
Oops. It's probably obvious from my message, but when I stated 15-pin RGB, above, I am referring to a standard computer VGA input.

new to projectors
Unregistered guest
try this link
http://a2zcables.site.yahoo.com/video-15-pin-component-video-cables--15-pin-to-3 -connectors-.html

Bronze Member
Username: Brazilian

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 19
As I just bought i Scan HD scaller, it only has a VGA output for analog video signals. I have a choice of connecting to component (RCA) or to RGB + HV input in my HDTV monitor. DVDO has both cables to sell: VGA to RCA and VGA to RGBHV via RCA adaptors. Can anyone help me choosing the better option ? Also, is it necessary to use a converter box instead one break cable ???

ChrisB
Unregistered guest
Sorry.. I was just passing through and saw these posts. The following article shows how to construct an RGB (15-pin VGA) to RCA component (Y,Pr,Pb) cable using CAT-5e. The connectors come from Radio Shack, and the cable can be purchased inexpensively from Home Depot.

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Whether you build an RGB-to-Component, or an RGB-to-RGB cable... this article can give you some ideas on what might be possible sending a video signal through Cat-5e.

rdcollns
Unregistered guest
In the past I used an Epson Powerlite 710c with one of these conversion cables, and the projector could not display the signal becuase it was not receiving the HV frequency. Does anyone know how to figure out if a new projector will have the same problems?

Unregistered guest
I'm hoping to find some help. I am looking to hook up the RCA output for my digital camera to the back of a single standing monitor (no computer). This would allow the monitor to be used similar to a TV for previewing as shooting, however, the ability to rotate the screen from landscape to portrait is important, Does anyone have any idea if this is possible, and where could I get this "magic" cable?

Unregistered guest
I'm hoping to find some help. I am looking to hook up the RCA output for my digital camera to the back of a single standing monitor (no computer). This would allow the monitor to be used similar to a TV for previewing as shooting, however, the ability to rotate the screen from landscape to portrait is important, Does anyone have any idea if this is possible, and where could I get this "magic" cable?

Unregistered guest
Some one's gonna kill something.
1) 15 pin RGB is NOT VGA. standard rgb has a horizontal refresh rate of 15Khz. Video Graphics Adapter compatible monitors run at a minimum of 31Khz. If you plug rgb into a VGA monitor, one of two things will happen. If it's a relitively new monitor, it will turn off or display an error. If it's old, it will make strange noises and die. However since this is a projector, it dependson what the device was designed for, computers or TV. There is a BIG difference. Check the manual for your projecter to see what it can handle. it should tell you how to connect to stuff.

2) There is no such thing as a component to RGB Cable! Component video has three signals Y (total brightness) Y-R (Y minus Red) and Y-B (Y minus Blue) green is extracted with analog math in the TV. RGB is just that: Red Green and Blue. the two signals are incompatible. conversion requires analog or digital arithmitic.

3) using cat-5e cable for video probably isn't a good idea. Cat-5e is designed for digital signals. Video uses coaxial cable. this stuff is sheilded to protect against EMI.

Check this out for (mabe) a more afordable do-it-yourself converter: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101537/article.html

P.S. there is no such thing as this magic cable, it would probably be a big custom made black/grey/color of choice box that would cost more than a computer. or you can ge a compuer and software to do all this, crop, print, edit, other stuff and more.

there, should be everything.

TechSP
Unregistered guest
I don't know where Chris gets his information but unfortunately he knows less than he claims. All you have to do is a search on Google for "converting RGB to Component" and you will find a plethora of articles describing either dongles or transcoders which WILL convert the signal. I personally use an RGB to Component dongle which I purchased from cablewholesale.com. My picture is near perfect, however I am looking into getting a transcoder so I can easily switch between my DVD player and my PC without unplugging cables. Check out http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoConnectors/VideoConnectors.asp.

Sorry Chris, but you just need to do some more research before you provide such enfatic advise.

Unregistered guest
sure, there are circuts that convert YCrCb to RGB but there is no passive cable that can do such a thing.

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 22
My point is, I have a i Scan HD from DVDO and as my HDTV monitor from Philips doesn`t has a DVI/HDMI input, I have to use the i Scan`s DB-15 output to send video signals to my Philips` RGBHV input through its RCA plugs. DVDO provides a choice of buying a DB-15/RGB-HV cable with RCA adapters. I`ve red that RGB-HV BNC plugs are 75 Ohms and RCA plugs aren`t creating noise when RCA adapters are used. So, what can I do to reduce lost and noise of video signals using my i Scan HD (DB-15) and my old but amazing Philips HDTV (RGB-HV through RCA plugs) ?????????????????

Bronze Member

Sao Paulo, SP Brasil

Post Number: 23
Another alternative is using the DB-15 output to feed my HDTV monitor with component video YCrCb avoiding BNC to RCA adapters. But, is it better than using RGB-HV input ????????????

Unregistered guest
I did some research here.
1) The display/projector must be YPbPr Compatible
2) It may be the case that a single physical DB-15 Connector in the display/projector might be soft-mappable (under the projector's control menu) between VGA, RGB and YPbPr modes - so choose the YPbPr mode and don't worry about external transcoder if this mode is available.
3) Mapping is (DB-15) Pin 1 - Pr, Pin 2 - Y, Pin 3 - Pb, Pin 6 - PrGnd, Pin 7 - YGnd, Pin 8 - PbGnd all others No Connect

Anonymous

I found out the hard way that the epson projectors seems to need special component video cable. You can not use the one describe in this forum. I tried it with my cablebox with HD component video out, DVD player with component video out. all I see is green.

I dont know if Epson Projector is YPbPr Compatible but it seems cable with DB-15 Pin 1 - Pr, Pin 2 - Y, Pin 3 - Pb, Pin 6 - PrGnd, Pin 7 - YGnd, Pin 8 - PbGnd are not good with Epson. Epson Projectors wants the ELPKC19 Component video cable which cost $90+. For this reason, I would not recommend Epson projectors at all.

StuB
Unregistered guest
Hey guys i have a 53" pioneer widescreen hdtv, it has the RGB connector and i want to hook up my computer to it. Is this possible? if not how can i go about gettin a high quality picture from my computer to my hdtv (better quality than s video or composite.

old school
Unregistered guest
StuB,
I have the Pioneer Elite Pro-620 HD. I think you might have the 610HD. IF you set the switch correctly, and set the resolution out of the PC correctly, it works just fine. I recommend you peruse the manuals of both your computer and Pioneer to make sure you do it right. Do NOT over drive your monitor, you'll kill it or hurt it badly.

I came here specifically to decide if I wanted to mess around with the RGB/HV D-sub connector for my 620HD. After looking at some other products, I've decided my old Elite does a better job with analog inputs than a lot of brand new equipment does with their DVI and HDMI inputs, as far as ultimate picture quality is concerned.

IMHO of course

BrentLSmith
Unregistered guest
I bought a Component to RGB cable to hook up my HDTV Cable Box to a Sony plasma monitor that only had RGB 15 Pin connections. It worked great and was even recommended by Sony customer service. The best thing is that it only cost $48. It's called "6ft ULTIMA HDTV VIDEO CABLE" Item # 29641. Here's the link
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2028&sku=29641

corey tebo
Unregistered guest
just passing thrugh, having similer problems converting signils only i am trying to make a fixed refresh rate monitor work

this sight has ben most handy but the info is some what buaried:

http://www.monitorworld.com/Cables/hd15male_to_5bncmale.html
http://www.si87.com/Products/Cabling/Adapters/adapters.html
http://www.si87.com/Wizards/monitorcable.html

that is my two cents

Jon OBrien
Unregistered guest
BrentLSmith - it is misunderstandings like this that keeps people like TechSP confused. Chris McMahon is 100% right - there is no such "magical trick" to adapt an RGB signal to a component YPbPr signal. The confusion is that cables and connectors using RGB signals typically use DB-15 (HD-15) connectors - so when reference is made to a RGB cable - it is a DB-15 - DB-15 cable, and when reference is made to a RGB connector, it is a DB-15 connector.

BUT - you cannot say a DB-15 connector is a RGB signal.

RGB is a type of signal.
DB-15 is a type of connector.

Component video typcailly uses 3xRCA connectors.
Obviously, whenever you see 3xRCA connectors you do not assume it is component - it could be A/V (Composite Video and Stereo Audio). So, if you don't say 3xRCA is component - why do people keep on incorrectly refer to DB-15 as RGB????

The reason why adaptors (as opposed to transcoders) sometimes work is because many devices (such as projectors and BrentLSmith's Sony TV) have one multifunctional input - in a DB-15 connector.

These units with built-in switching (as opposed to separate physical inputs) can take RGB or Composite video on their DB-15 connector. They don't have auto-sensing (well the Sony doesn't anyway) - you have to select from the menu what signal you are giving the unit, as it needs to treat the different signals differently.

ie. a simple dongle or adapter will simply give you a component signal in a DB-15 connector. Thus your unit MUST be able to accept component video in it's DB-15 connector (NOT RGB).

If you have a unit that ONLY accepts RGB and you want to plug in a component signal, then you need an expensive transcoder to convert the signal type to RGB.

If you plug a signal into a component video connector you will get green image. Why? Do the math. RGB is expecting and displaying Red; Green; and Blue. But component is transmitting Signal-Red; Signal; Signal-Blue. Thus from the red cable it gets exactly zero red. From the green cable it gets the green signal from the full spectrum Y signal, and from the blue cable it gets exactly zero blue signal. Thus the only data it has to display is the green part.

Thus, it would seem most likely that Anonymous ignored Mxyzptlk's instructions and did not select YPbPr from the projector's menu, thus the projector was expecting an RGB signal on its DB15 connector, and as we all know now, a 3xRCA to DB-15 adapter does NOT convert Component to RGB, so his Epson was expecting an RGB signal but getting a YPbPr signal on a DB-15 connector instead.

As indicated by the link by BrentLSmith and 'new to projectors' - a 3xRCA component to DB-15 adapter for a unit with built-in component / RGB switching is very simple (costing ~$48). As also indicated by a link on the same page as given by BrentLSmith - a component to RGB CONVERTER costs closer to $220 - http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3010&sku=40226

Anonymous - when you go and buy the $90 cable, you will STILL have to select component input on the menu unless you wish to retain the green image.

BrentLSmith - the Sony Plasma TV does not have an RGB 15 Pin connector. It has a DB-15 pin connector with internal circuitry capable of handling either an RGB or YPbPr (YUV) signal. (The Sony refers to component as YUV). If it was simply RGB - why do you think there is a RGB/YUB button on the remote and menu selectable Input 1 - RGB / Input 1 - YUV choice if they were both RGB? They're not.

Username: Loumarjr

Post Number: 1
Wow I am as confused as ever. I just want to know if an inexpensive RGB or component cable would work with my Epson Powerlite S1+ http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/pls1p_/pls1p_u1.pdf (user guide) instead of buying Epson's component cable (ELPKC19) I don't know if Epson is using a proprietary pinout or not but seen some cables much cheaper. Thanks for any input!!!

Jon OBrien
Unregistered guest
I would say most definately yes - from reading the manual a standard cable would seem to be fine. The Epson cable is probably just priced as it is branded.

You said you alread had and tried a component cable - do you still have it?

As I previously posted, I am positive you just plugged in the cable but did not change the input slector on the menu. That is, the projector was expecting RGB but receiving component - which given the math - will result in a green screen.

Read pages 21 and 28 og the User Guide.
By default, when a signal is detected on the "Computer (RGB) / Component Video port" (ie. DB-15 port) it is impossible for the projector to "know" if it is RGB or component, so it defaults to RGB which is standard computer output.

Follow the instructions on page 28 for the remote (or page 36 for the menu on the projector) - when you plug in the component cable and you get the green display as you would expect - confirming that the connection is correct - then on the remote press the "Computer" button once to select "Component Video YCbCr". There are two types of Component Video, so if after 15 seconds this doesn't give you a proper image, press the Computer button once again for "Component Video YPbPr". You must wait 15 seconds as it can take this long for the projector to receive and interpret the change in signal type and display it.

If you still have or can get hold of a cheap Component-DB15 cable again, try it. Absolutely positive it will work.

I just read page 50 - the first paragraph confirms everything I said - if you have a greenish image - you have the component cable connected but have not changed the input type from "Computer" (RGB).

Unregistered guest
Hey Sorry, i know this changes the subject a little, but i came across this forum on my search for information. I recently came into a 21" CRT computer monitor. I know computer monitors are higher resolution than standard televisions, so i got the bright idea... i could hook up my gaming system (xbox) to the monitor. Then i was even thinking... maybe i could use the component xbox cables for an even better picture... is there such a cable that will provide the adaptation for such a thing?
If so, could any1 be so kind as to share with me my possibilities. I have a feeling this is a pie in the sky silly idea, but :-) maybe!

Jon O
Unregistered guest
As per the previous posts - there is no such thing as a magic cable to "adapt" component to RGB. If your computer monitor does not accept a component signal, it does not accept a component signal. If it does, then use any one of the component RCA to DB-15 adapters mentioned above. But I seriously doubt a computer monitor will be component compatible. But if it was, you would have to slect "component input" from the menu - so, simple way to tell, is it on the menu or not?

Mo.Cheeks
Unregistered guest
ooh!
http://www.x2vga.com/
Just after i posted on here, i found this "magic" thing.

Anonymous

I've recently purchased a BenQ dlp projector, and had been using s-video cable to go from my xbox/compy/whatever to the projector.
But the manual says that the projector can accept HDTV data through a component video connector. It can apparently take 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p(50/60Hz), 1080i (50/60Hz). The connector illustrated in the manual has YPbPr connectors (red/blue/green) at one end, and RGB (computer-monitor-like) connectors at the other.
I purchased a no-name brand from a local retailer, for about 15 bucks -- but when connected, the image is sort of snowy/grainy. Like coaxial cable. The colour -is- drastically improved, but the signal quality itself is noisy looking. Any ideas?

Username: Froboy733

Post Number: 3
I am looking for a cable that converts component video out into a female vga cable. Anyone have any ideas where to find a relativley cheap one?

Username: Loumarjr

Post Number: 2
Jon OBrien- You were 100% correct. The cheaper cable worked perfect once I changed input to component video, per your instructions. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Anonymous

On this same topic. Can some one help me with my problem. I have a brand new laptop with only a 15 pin/VGA monitor output. I want to do presentations with this laptop. Most of the places I go to, only has a tv(big screen) for me to do my things with. What do I need to get Component, S-video or Composite video out of this laptop? Of course the better the video quality the better I am off.

Thanks,

Sergio
Unregistered guest
JonOBrien it seems that you are an expert on this matter. Can you or someone else please confirm if the pinout provided by Mxyzptlk [(DB-15) Pin 1 - Pr, Pin 2 - Y, Pin 3 - Pb, Pin 6 - PrGnd, Pin 7 - YGnd, Pin 8 - PbGnd all others No Connect] is correct? I have a projector with RGB / Component autosense support over a female DB-15 connector and just want to be positive on the right pinout to map the 3xRCA output to the DB-15 input.

Thanks

BuffaloSabres
Unregistered guest
So ... to those who know ... i own an older zenith TV (about 10-15 yrs. old) with only RCA inputs, no signal change options in the menu. and i want to get movies from my computer, to the TV. The computer is a 15 pin female. So am i screwed in trying to get this to work? Is this a cheap fix or is it gonna cost me a paycheck? thanks in advance for your help.

Unregistered guest
I got an old Proxima 2810 video projector which came without cables. how can i get the cables. and which cables does it use. Am in Nairobi Kenya and the nearest service centre is in South Africa. I have tried to convert from 25pin to 15pin vga to connect to the laptop but still no projection. do i need any softwarei order to get a projection. PLEASE HELP. My email add is amdatman@yahoo.com

Anonymous

To the guy who bought it for 40 .... sorry .... but for users that havent bought yet .... http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020706 &p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2&style=

Billster
Unregistered guest
I have an Epson S1+ that I use for cable TV and DVD. I love it. However, I must admit that each time I see an HDTV flat panel TV, I get a bit envious. Any chance I can get HDTV through my S1+?

Unregistered guest
Hi all...
I bought a SONY home theatre from UK which has only component video output. My Television accept composite video and not component. Is there a way to convert the component video to composite video.

dastardlydeeds
Unregistered guest
Thank you Jon for that information on the differences in signals. I also purchased a BenQ projector and spent a day looking for the 'magical cable'. The projector does use a db15 connector for its component input but i think the confusion lies in the 'mozart' who printed the manual. it says that there is a yPbPr-RGB cable available as an optional accessory.incidently, for anyone looking for a similar cable(db15-component), the cable is hard enough to find for a decent price but a2zcables.com has them reaonably priced if one is not inclined to solder up one themselves.

Unregistered guest
I have an HD projector and have the 15pin to component cable connected to my comcast dvr hd cable box but i can only recieve 480i resolution not 480p/720p/1080p could it be the cable i own? Should i get a converter box would that be better quality

CluelessAboutCables
Unregistered guest
Dear experts, need your help and advice here.

I have AVerMedia AVerTV Box9 with VGA output and I would like to hook up to an LCD monitor's Component Video (YPbPr) input. I tried the setup with an ordinary VGA to Component Video cable and it didn't work.

What do I need to get this setup working? A converter box or special cable or whatever is needed? Really clueless. My electronic shop sold me the stuff and they didn't work. Sigh...

Thanks in advance.

Kenneth Stanley
Unregistered guest
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&style=

this will be the cheapest and best cable for the money.

Unregistered guest
I went for the cheaper converter - VGA-to-S-Video Hand View III from Grandtec. Works perfectly. Problem solved.

Anonymous

I am installing a ceiling-mounted projector at our church. There is an in-wall conduit that I could use for the cable, but it is too small to get a 15-pin D-sub connector through it. Is it possible to feed a cable without a connector and then solder one on after threading it through the conduit? Who sells just the connectors?

Username: Dolamike101

HACIENDA HEIGHTS, CALIFORNIA UNITED STATES

I HOPING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH A PROBLEM I HAVE. I'M LOOKING FOR AN LCD MONITOR FOR MY COMPUTER AND FOR IT TO BE ABLE TO HAVE EXTERNAL VIDEO HOOKED UP TO IT (PS2, DVD, XBOX). I WAS WONDERING WHAT CONNECTIONS WOULD THE MONITOR NEED FOR BOTH COMPUTER AND GAMING. AND DOES ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON A CERTAIN MODEL. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Jonny P
Unregistered guest
wow, this is confusing... but can someone give me a simple answer to this:

my philips dvdq40 can deliver either component YUV or RGB via its RCA (phono) outputs. I'm looking at buying a cheap LCD PC monitor which accepts RGB via a dB15 input. Given a RCA to db15 cable, can I watch my dvd on the PC monitor?

Unregistered guest
ok.... i was just passing by and i was looking for someone to answer this question for me.....
i just bought a rca scenium 50", dlp, hdtv, etc. and im hooking my xbox up to it with componet cables... theres a video output on the back of the tv and i wanna run that to my capture card for my pc..... but the problem is that the output is compsite (yellow, red, white) and on the preview that shows what im capturing; it has all diffrent streaks of colors red, blue, black, white, yellow, etc. and im wondering if the tv itself isn't converting the componet to compsite.. or is this even possible?
if you have anything that would help me please send an email to shortstuf067@comcast.net

Unregistered guest
Hi all,
just wanted to know if i can make a cable to connect the vga input on my lcd monitor (samsung 930B) to my digital cable reciever- SVIDEO or RCA
the manual said it supports analog RGB or DVI digital link.
and also support Separate H/V, Composite HV,SOG
thx in advance

bobSch
Unregistered guest
StuB

I have the exact same problem. Did you resolve it?

RGBS to VGA
Unregistered guest
If you are looking to take RGBS to VGA you will need a (Composite Sync seperator) also an invertor. VGA needs to sync pulses that are positive going. to get this from RGBS you could order from National electronics LM1881 and an invertor. This will take the negitive Sync from RGB and convert it to RGBHV.

RGBS to VGA
Unregistered guest
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/62545.html

Botto of the page states how to convert RGBS to VGA

Anonymous

https://www.national-tech.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?body=Search&text=+component+to+ vga

Unregistered guest
Hey guys.
Heres my question, I want to connect my VGA port on my laptop to my HDTV which accepts YPbPr and YCbCr connections. Can i just use a VGA to component cable?

bbbb
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I want to connect my toshiba laptop to a tv. There is no s-video terminal in my laptop. But there is 15 pin point slot in my laptop. Can I connect RGB cable to my tv . So that I can see movies on big screen or my son can play on a big screen tv.

Unregistered guest
Component to D-sub 15 pin

I am in the process of installing a projector and hence stumbled across this site which has proved very useful - thanks to all who have taken the time to post info on here. I have purchased a Dsub - 3 RCA connector adaptor from http://www.lektropacks.com to enable me to connect component video from an AV amplifier to the projector which has Component in on a D-sub. I'm posting this as it took me ages to find such an adaptor and the guys there were so helpful they deserve a mention and it could save someone else a lot of frustration - happy teching....

tommy_99
Unregistered guest
Component to SCART RGB (Europa)

Hy to all.
My Sony TV is able to accept 1024x756 Signals over Scart RGB.
My DVD Player is able to Upscale 1024x756 over Component out.
How can i connect (convert) it to my TV.
pleas help.

The Q
Unregistered guest
Quick Note: Everyone talking about having problems using 15-Pin Connectors to Component video on Epson projectors (And likely most others)

Newer models (I have a powerlite S3) have an option under the setup menu to select component or RGB output through the 15-Pin connector. When component is selected, a simple cable like the one here:

Can be used to hook up to a component output. Ordinary RGB/VGA output will not work this way.

Most newer projectors have this option; you have to search for it though, sometimes its hard to find; like Epson a lot of companies want to sell you their 300$ dongle thats exactly the same as the homemade one above (better quality though).

arthurgonzalesiii
Unregistered guest
hi. i have a new tv and i connected it to my dvd player thru dvd component aka rgb component aka y/y-r/y-b. i'm having some problems regarding the screen. when there is a bright image (white to flesh color) the screen shows a shadow of light green horizontally accross the screen. it is only slightly notiacble. but i'm very particular so i hate it. is that normal? what can i do to eliminate it? thanks.

Dabit
Unregistered guest
i am looking for a product that allows a single TV out like from an apple IIe so i can connect a standard computer monitor. i have found 1 such item on ebay, but i cannot find anywhere on the net to make one

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGA-to-TV-CONVERTER-S-VIDEO-RCA-OUT-CABLE-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ8 719306923QQcategoryZ3759QQcmdZViewItem

S-Video to Component
Unregistered guest
I have the reverse issue to most of the posts above, how to I take the S-Video coming out of my Tivo, convert it to Component Video so I can plug it into my stereo receiver and alow the receiver to switch between it and my other 2 compoent video sources (DVD & HD cable)?

Brian_Scott567
Unregistered guest
I am hooking up a Yamaha LPX-510 to a computer and according to Yamaha all I needed was a VGA to RGB breakout cable. After connecting it and playing around with resolution on the computer for about 2 weeks now I have not made any progress. The projector does have an input for RGB from PC in it's menu which is selected, but it will not sync. Does anybody have any idea of what I am doing wrong. I have tried every possible resolution and the best I can do is get the projector to work as a second monitor, but when I try to make it the primary it just tells me that the signal is not supported. Thanks to whoever could help.

Unregistered guest
I need to buy a projector and a laptop for my church. The laptop is going to be about 75 feet away from projector. What connection would be the best for this situation: VGA or s-video? I am thinking to buy Mitsubishi XD-450U XGA DLP Projector. Also, how far should I put projector from the display? My display is 10x8. Thanks a lot for your help.

Anonymous

leon - if you are going to be playing only video then i would say s-video is fine, but if there is text, you need to hook up vga. If i were you i would get any laptop, and just about any projector you buy will have a VGA input, and all laptops have VGA output, so you can either buy VGA extension cords from radio shack for the 75 ft, or use the link to make a single cable out of cat-5 cable.
You should definitely use the vga connection btw, since you have XGA projector. As far as the distance goes, it depends how bright the projector is, how much light there is in the room, etc. you might just put the projector behind a translucent screen and set it to "rear" on the menu.

Leon needs help
Unregistered guest
Tanks a lot for your help. I will be using only text. I am thinking to buy the Mitsubishi XD450U DLP projector. I have space for my projector 16-22 feet away from the display, and I can't go out from this range. My dispay is 10x8. Do you know if this projector will do a good job in covering all of my display area if it will be installed 16-22 feet away?
Also, some laptops have reolution of 1280x800. Can this resolution be changed to 1280x1024 or 1024x768?
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Cax
Unregistered guest
I have an ancient Barco 500 Graphics projector that accepts five different types of input , but NOT the YPbPR output I want to use from my DVD player. The Barco 500 has five BNC inputs. I use three of them for RGsB input.

I use this projector with my computer. I have another component between the computer and the projector. This is an INLINE CIA100 Computer Interface. This component connnects to my computer at the monitor output and provides a passthru to my monitor and RGsB to the projector.

Now, I understand that no simple cable will change the dvd YPbPr to the RGsB the Barco 500 uses, But I'm wondering if some simple cable might change the DVD YPbPr signal to a signal meant to go to a computer monitor so that I can use the INLINE CIA100 Computer Interface to change it to the YPbPr signal that the Barco 500 needs, just as it already does the VGA signal from my computer.

Summary: Is there a simple cable that will allow my DVD's YPbPr signal to be displayed on a computer monitor? Thanks for all the Info,

Cax

TerryTheCat
Unregistered guest
Can someone help me? i currently have my LCD plugged in through the VGA socket on my graphics card, but i've found a VGA (otherwise known as D-Sub) to DVI converter in my graphics card box. would this give me better picture if i plugged into the DVI socket with my converter, or would it make no difference in the slightest?

Unregistered guest
I just scored a 50' vga to component cable here for $18.95 http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503 &p_id=2395&seq=1&format=2&style=

I searched all over the net and they have the cheapest prices around. I have a BenQ 6240 ceiling mounted. I have waisted probably a 100 bucks on cabling already. I first purchased a 25' rca cable off of ebay, the quality was not as good as S video, and the cable was not long enough. I then purchased a 50' S video cable off of ebay about two weeks ago. I still have not received it yet. To make a long story short, I just bought a Sony DVPCX995V 400-Disc DVD and SACD Mega Changer/Player with HDMI Output so that I can have my whole DVD and music library at my finger tips rather than screwing around handling the DVD's and scratching them. This paticular model upconverts to 1080i. After doing some research, I realized that to get the best quality, i would either have to go with the HDMI interface or component video. My search led me here. The BenQ model that I have the PB6240 does not have a HDMI or DVI interface but it does have a component interface through the VGA - Sub D connector. Anyway, I should receive the cable in two days and we will see if it works.

Durko
Unregistered guest
Ive just made a 15-Pin Connector to Component video using 10 meters of cat-5e cable, I have a NEC VT45
It works great with no interferance and a great picture

Username: Darticus

Sparta, New jersey Usa

I NEED HELP!
I have a Mitsubishi xd 300 u projector and using s video with direct tv to see video. Now I had direct tv hd hooked up and would like to connect to my projector.It looks like It would be a 3 RCA wire connection to the back of the direct tv box and a d dub 15 pin connector to the projector.Can someone help to get me to the correct connector.Email ron222@earthlink.net Thanks Ron

Username: Isnomad

Wow it looks like a lot of people have a lot of knowldge here so I will see what the experts have to say about my issue. I have a Philips 50PF9830A/37 Plasma screen. I am trying to get a Computer desktop on the display and am having no luck. I am currently using a DVI-HDMI cable to connect but the best resolution I can get is a strange 720x480 resolution. Looks like crap. Then I go to a clients house and they have a 60" Plasma using a VGA output converting to what looks like a RGBHV cable. The image is perfect and the resolution is nice. I have tried $600 vider cards with no difference in output to the TV. Philips is no help and the video card providers are no help either. The 60" plasma was powered by a cheap $100 video card.... any thoughts? Is the VGA to RGBHV the way to go and will most video cards support that sort of format?

Thanks in advance for any assistance or gusess.

Here is the tear sheet on my Plasma. http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pf9830a_37/50pf9830a_37_pss_aen.pdf

Username: Longhornray

Okay, I have been reading all your comments and suggestions because I have a similar problem and am not real sure as to what to use so I will ask you all for your help.

I have a Sony Upconverted HD DVD Player and a Pioneer Pro-510HD w/RGB input. The Sony player has the HDMI output. Is there a cable that will make these two work? If I use a RGB to Component cable will that give me the HD picture the DVD player offers? Please let me know.

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 39
I have a new Dell Inspiron 9300 and trying to hook into Mits DLP TV with VGA. I have a ATi Radeon X300 display card, that allows for muliple monitors. The poblem is, when I switch device to PC all I see is the computers wallpaper on the tv screen. I cannot see the windows desktop/icons >> I have tried several resolutons, with no luck, just see the wallpaper.
VERY FRUSTRATED! Any help would be appreciated!

Username: Ddropski

ok heres my problem i bought a viewsonic projector and it has a vga connector and if i want component video i have to buy an adapter but my real problem is i also want to have the option to play my pc on the same projector how do i switch devices (component for dvd and vga for my pc)?? when my projector only has 1 vga thinking about it... would i have to get a converter cable componet to vga and get a vga switch to switch between the computer vga and the (converted componet /vga) will that work?

Username: Jumbomx

Username: Rob107

Hi, I have a BenQ MP610 projector and recently bought a component to D-Sub cable to connect my DVD player to the projector. I get a very red image. Any ideas why?

When I pull out the red connector from the DVD player, the image turns black and white, when I pull out the green connector the image goes blank, when I pull out the blue connector it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible the blue connector is defective? A regular composite or S-video cable works just fine, but I want to use component. The projector manual doesn't offer any tips other than suggesting to use a the cable I purchased.

Username: Jd_astro

Hi Roger - Exactly my situation as well. Unfortunately my projector is back home and I am on the other sdie of the globe. Reading posts above, it looks like our projector migh have a switcable setting RGB/Ypbpr - I remember an option like that on the source menu. The manula says it acceots component video via a d-sub15 pin 1x (shared) and RGB thru the same d-sub15 pin 1x (shared). We can probably switch between the two using the remote. Right now I am looking for a downloadable manual to investigate this. Let me know if you find an answer and I will do so likewise.

Username: Jd_astro

As a follow-up: The link below shows how to build a component-to-hd15 cable for BENQ projectors:
Cost is about $10 for parts - RCA connectors, CAT5 cable, HD15 connector. BENQ projectors are made to receive component or HDTV signal thru the HD15 plug as well as signal from a laptop. I bought a cable on Ebay for $7 but it had the problem Robert described above. When I continuity tested the RCA plugs against the HD15 pins it was nothing like the diagram suggests in the link above. Luckily I can have the cable rebuilt here at work by guys who do this kind of work everyday. Jim ex-Spring,TX

Username: Rob107

Jim, I solved the problem on the weekend. Two things I learned:
1) The cable you have needs to be bi-directional.
2) Your DVD player has a settings menu that you need to go into and actually activate the component output as your video source.

Fortunately the cable I had was already the right one. Just changed the settings on my DVD player and viola, everything was alright... crystal clear picture on the projector! I had assumed that since the DVD player had component output jacks that they are automatically active for sending a component signal. Wrong assumption.

Username: Paubar6

Slidell, LA USA

Help ... as a relative newbie, Im still confused.
Here's my problem. I have an older Mits CRT-based rear-projection HDTV and a somewhat older Pioneer 5.1 AVR. Neither one has an HDMI or DVI output or input by which I can get full resolution from my new Toshiba HD-A1 DVD player. On back of my set I have two YPrPB inputs (both 480i/p for SD players) and one DTV input labeled 480i/p/1080i/GRBHV (the HV is not enabled)which displays excellent HD content from my charter HD cable box (I also get HD OTA with outdoor antenna).
My question is is there some type of converter (that doesnt cost an arm and a leg) I can use from my Tosh HD player to plug into the DTV slot (which takes simple 3-plug RGB or whatever cable)to get full rez?
Or am I faced with having to buy an HDMI-input(s)HDTV and/or similarly equipped AVR ... If so, then I'll just have to put off the HD DVD experience for a few years until my beloved Mits fades away.
Thanks for any help on this subject.

Bronze Member
Username: Rekman

CANADA

Post Number: 75
I lost my channelssssssss. Ho God can someome tell me Whyyyy This happen

Bronze Member
Username: Rekman

CANADA

Post Number: 76
is there any Changes Again Today ?. 15 nminutes ago . everything were playing. Suddenly they all turn Black. is there any problem with the keys or Bin ?
Help please
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us