Trimming Monster Cables

Jim Newell
Unregistered guest
Got a new system (HK receiver, JBL S38II speakers) and went to audio store to get speaker cables. The guy sold me some monster cable banana-plug like plug ins and some Monster Cable Z1R cable. Watched him attaching the cable to the plugs and noticed that he had to trim off some of the little copper wires on the outside to get it to fit. Is this the wire that carries the higher frequencies? If so, does trimming some of it off create a problem? (It may be apparent that I am a novice, so sorry if the question is dumb).

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 963
no, and relax, you'll be fine.:-)

RnB
Unregistered guest
he should not have to trim off the outter strand sof the copper, and yes in theory, the higher frequencies travel through the outter radius of the copper strands.

if you mean you stripped the wire jacket, exposed too long a length of copper, then yes its ok to trim off excess copper from the end.

But if you mean he used a banana termination too small for the cable and had to trim off strands of copper to shrink the cable, thats bad. and poor handling and termination.

he either needs to

a. get a smaller gauge cable
or
b. get larger termination.

Jim Newell
Unregistered guest
Yeah. It wasn't that he just cut a whole inch off the end of the cable, it was that he couldn't get it to fit into the monster cable adaptor so he trimmed away some of the outer little copper strands. So if that is bad, I guess I can either (1) get new terminals...but these were expensive or (2) find some smaller gauge wire than the Z1R cable (cheaper to do). I migth add, what got me wondering is that when I set up the system, one of the first songs I wanted to listen to was "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream and I noticed that a very soft noise like tinkling glass pieces that comes up a few times in the song (heard best immediately after the guitar solo) and which I can hear on my ipod as well as on other stereo systems I have listened to was basically missing! Although the setup sounds good to me otherwise (remember, i am no expert), it got me wondering if there was a problem and the cable was all I could come up with. Wonder if you had any thoghts about this? Would there be another component that would be supect? Is this just related to differences in how systems "interpret" music? Maybe I just need an equalizer. HK3480 receiver HK 8385 5 disc CD player and aforementioned JBL S38II speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us