Line output with amplified output speakers?

Username: Decker

Post Number: 1
Here is my problem. I have already discovered that simply stripping RCA cables and putting the loose wires into the line output from my stereo to use with my 5.1 apmplified speakers doesnt work. it reproduces the sound, but its choppy and overamplified. Is there any way to fix this, or convert a stereo's line output to amplified output?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 662
First things, first...how many inputs does your 5.1 amplified speakers have? If it is a digital surround sound, you should only have 1. If your trying to put in analog signal into a digital input, its not going to work.
What speakers are you using and what receiver are you trying to connect?

Post Number: 2
Well, I guess I'll just have to not have one big array...Anyway, if my stereo puts out analog signal into digital output, will it work badly or not work at all? Because right now, it'll just work badly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 669
sorry, but putting and anlog signal into digital input is not going to work.

Post Number: 3
Hmm...that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me then. My stereo that I am using (I am eBaying a SC-PM27 later) is old (maybe 1998 or 99) and I really doubt it has digital output, seeing as it has really siimple speakers with nothing more then stripped wires that plug into the back.

Yet, if I use that output with my Z640 speakers with dolby digital surround sound, it works - badly, but it works.

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
I would hardly call that working, though. It can interpret some of the signals as it is an electronic signature, but it just won't work as designed. But if you can make it work - badly, then do as you may.
You never did answer my question as far as the speakers you are using. Does it not accept analog signals (red/white RCA inputs)? Or even high level inputs (speaker outputs)?

Post Number: 4
I thought I kind of implied yes in my first post, but I probably really didn't - so, yes, it does accept RCA input.

Silver Member

Post Number: 683
You lost me when you wrote something about stripping RCA cables, that is a strange thing to do. You need to use the RCA pre-amplifier output from your stereo receiver into the red/white RCA input of your Logitech. Or are you trying to use the speaker outputs of your stereo and connecting it to the Logitech's RCa input? What stereo are you using? What type of outputs does it have in the back?

Post Number: 5
Well, yes, I stripped RCA cables.

My stereo has line/analog outputs in back, where jsut stripped speaker wire plugs in.

Well - I have a another plan, I guess.

I guess I'll just buy or ebay myself a good stereo system, I'm liking the SC-AK series from panasonic now that I've been looking for a while. I had the chance to get a SC-AK520 system for $161, but I didn't have the money at the time. Sucks, huh?

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
a better plan! Physically modifiying an existing receiver without professional training is not a good thing.

Post Number: 6
No, but getting out there and trying stuff is the best way to learn!

Thanks for all the help, Berny.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us