Please help! How to convert RF Coaxial to RCA?

Does anyone know of an adapter out there or a cable that allows the conversion of RF to RCA?
My 9" TV (for kitchen use) only has RCA Video/Audio inputs and I want to connect it to my cable jack. Here is the thing....I don't want to have to use a VCR to convert the cable signal into the TV. I know there has to be an adapter or cable that converts this signal....isn't there?

Derek
Doesn't the 9" TV have a cable/antenna jack? Does it have a tuner? You should be able to connect the TV to the cable box with a piece of coax. How do you watch TV? If it doesn't have a coaxial cable connector, that's a monitor not a TV...

Anonymous
I have the same question as above. I need to convert rf to rca without using the vcr. Reason is because I have a plasma and we all know there is no rf connector on plasmas. Is there such a converter or some kind of modulator out there.

Derek
You need a tuner. Any cheap cable tuner with S-Video will do. You could also use something like this http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_box_nextvisionn6.htm.

Anonymous
Here is another product available at Amazon.com:
Monster Cable ConnectAll 200 S-Video RF Modulator

Anonymous
More options at Crutchfield.

Derek
Those are RF modulators - they convert line level A/V signals to RF. He's looking to convert RF to line level A/V.

He needs a tuner.

Anonymous
Thanks Derek, appreciate the help.
I ended up using a vcr for now and just amplifeid the rf signal before the vcr and the picture is not bad for cable, but I am definatly going to try viewsonic product soon.

Thanks again bud.

Anonymous
I have the same problem but I haven't bought this yet. Seems like it would work

http://www.videocapturecard.com/demodulator.html

Help...

I'd like to be able to use my mac speakers with my pc also...both are at my desk. Is there a connector I could get to do this?

LH

Actually, Derek if you look closer at Crutchfield you'll notice the Terk VS-4MOD+.
This appears to have both an RF Coaxial Input and RCA Ouputs. The only RF Modulator I've ever seen that incorporates this.

Looks like you can get it cheap here:
http://store.yahoo.com/sepharus-store/vs4-mod-.html

Correction. I called Terk Tech support. They said that the rca outputs on the VS-4MOD+ will not output the coaxial input. They only output the RCA Inputs.

Looks like the following is the only thing that will work.
http://www.videocapturecard.com/demodulator.html

Anonymous
PLEASE I NEED CONVERT RF TO A/V
NEED DIAGRAM FOR CONTRUCTION
THANKS

ed
Unregistered guest
adapters available at http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/rcacoaxialconnectors.htm

Jay
Unregistered guest
Anonymous,

The RF or coaxial cable contains both the audio and video signals. Appearently your TV isn't able to separate the audio and video on it's own.

As you may or may not know, an RF modulator converts the A/V signal, which is the 3 RCA cords, into RF which is the coaxial cable. If you just get an adapter as ed suggested, or you run it through the VCR what happens is that you aren't really converting the signal and you can experience these weird phasing in and out phenomenons on your TV. That's why you need the RF modulator.

I'm open to correction or further clarification from an expert.

The demodulator that you linked to in your previous post does look like it would work. It is 2 to 3 times the price of an RF modulator though. Why don't you save the money and get a better TV?

Chris R
Unregistered guest
RF Modulators are a one way street. They go from A/V (RCA) to RF. If you want to go from RF to A/V, then your only option seems to be a demodulator.

ProjectionGuy
Unregistered guest
I have a similar problem with my LCD projecter - no TV tuner. Can we not use a cable set top box, which may provide RCA (video and 2 audio wires) output? Anybody has a cable box like that, which takes Cable (RF/F) as input and output yello, red, white cables (one video and 2 audio)

Unregistered guest
Yes U can I don't know your location but I know that pioneer and motorola makes cable boxes. I've seen some for sale on ebay ( I don't know how they get them though).

Jon M
Unregistered guest
I have a modern TV in our kitchen with component, composite, S-video, and standard coax inputs. My satellite receiver and all other electronics hub is in the living room. Although for our den I had the foresight to lay both component video and stereo audio wiring from the living room hub, I failed to so for the kitchen. Wiring from the hub to the kitchen is otherwise generous, however, consisting of: 2 RG6 coaxial cables, a 16-4 speaker cable that nicely brings speaker-level sound output from the receiver, and one still available CAT-5 run. I don't want to buy a second DirecTV receiver subscription, since we almost never need to have two different channels on at the same time. Wireless isn't an option. At present, I'm simply using the worst quality coax out from the satellite receiver in the living room and bringing this signal to the kitchen TV via one of the RG-6 cables. Is there a way to bring component video with good stereo to the kitchen TV by a modulation/demodulation or by some other means that wouldn't be too expensive? If not, what's the best way of getting a great S-video signal with good stereo to it?

ZEca
Unregistered guest
TV E UMA MERDA, ENFIA O RCA NA BUNDA, PINGUELAO HEEHEHEH

Username: Priya

Redmond, WA United States

Post Number: 1
hi,
I have a TV that does not have any s-video or audio inputs/outputs so i have to use a rf modulator to connect a dvd to my tv. Recently i bought a terk sv4 rf modulator and i was wondering how i could connect it to my tv which has a coaxial connector.
Also i want to be able to connect external speakers to my modulator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Priya

Username: Mainiero

Hello,

I wanted to make sure I ran the right cables before sealing up the walls of a remodel. Took down a wall to make a combo kitchen/family room.

Where the wife wants the TV for family room viewing does not work well when seated at the kitchen table. I originally ran video & two cat-5e's to the main TV and also to two cabinets in the kitchen. Idea was could open a cabinet door or two & have a tv there in view for all around the kitchen table.

Contractor is about to put up the shear walls with tons of nails, so I'd like to get it right! A friend said I should run two videos to all possible TV locations, one for cable or antenna, one for future satellite, or to feed that tv from other sources, like a central DVD or TVO or whatever.

Also would like to watch same thing on all 3 tv's at times (like a sports bar... she'll love that, like the commercial!)

All wires originate out of a central closet.

The two cat-5e's were for phones & data, not necessarily related to tv, but who knows in the future.

Will I be able to plug in my video camera into the main tv, and pipe it to other TV's down the second coax cable, through the central closet?

How would I convert video/audio out (or component video out) to coax, and then back again at the second or third tv?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciative of any suggestions!

jaz
Unregistered guest
hi
does anyone know how you can use the RF modulator out of an old broken VCR to modulate a A/V signal?

aeneas1
Unregistered guest
MONAURAL RF DEMODULATOR-CONVERTS RF (CABLE TV or ANTENNA SIGNAL) TO COMPOSITE VIDEO & AUDIO SIGNALS $99.75

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=RF&subcat=RVC

Unregistered guest
Hey,

This is a reply to Mike Mainiero's post. I'm probably a little too late, but this is a good tip to all who are remodeling or building and need to know. As to audio video cables and Cat 5 cables ... the more the marrier. Over kill with blank wall plates are very good options.

Now with the coax, remember some satellite receivers are dual tuners and need two (2) coax cables in to the receiver and another to feed out to the other tv. I am a satellite dish installer and have to run new lines all day long, even in newly remodeled homes because this was overlooked.

As far as converting cables into other cables, go to your local electronics store such as Best Buy or Circuit City. They will carry the majority of cable conversions or send you to the right place.

Take care all (i'll try to keep it shorter next time) noc

Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook my cable tv up to my surround sound system, but i have not outputs on my tv. Is there anything that demodulates a coaxial signal in to composite? I have looked all over the web and have found one link from this message board, but the item is no longer available.

Unregistered guest
i have an lcd screen and i'm wondering how to connect an rca video camera up to it, is there some kind of adapter i can make/buy?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 872
check your lcd screen manual and see what kind of connections you'll need. Some need a simple video input and some use parallel or serial cables.

Anonymous

i need help! i'm not sure if this is a simple problem and i'm just not knowledgeable on the subject or if it's really impossible:

i want to hook a dvd player up to my tv, which has nothing but a cable jack. i know i'm going to need an rf modulator for the dvd player, but i already have an rf switch in place for a nintendo system.

does anyone know if it will be possible for me to hook up this second rf mod in addition to the switch i'm already using? am i going to have to keep swtiching between two coaxial cables or something? please help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
Yes, there is an adapter. Try Radio Shack or some adapters from Pelican or Mad Catz.

Username: Jalanlew

My Box for my 30HDT20 (Hitachi) has A and B inputs for COAX. I've been using "A" for my digital cable and "B" for my VCR. I recently put an antenna on my roof, so I could get the HD signal without having to upgrade my Cable (I think I'll just get rid of it). I get really nice signals for a number of channels. The problem is, i would like to use the "B" for my antenna. Unfortunately, using a component connection for the VCR won't work. Do I need a tuner for this (I guess to convert the rf signal into a digital signal)?

Anonymous

Jeff, I have a 57wxw20b Hitachi. I talked with them today and I was told that antenna C is for antenna for local hd programming. They also said that antenna A and B can be used for a local antenna as well. These Hitachi's can get quite confussing. They are awesome TV's though. I think you should call 1800 hitachi and talk to them though. they call is free and so is the customer service tech support. Good luck. oh u may want to look into running your cable into your vcr and then using just one antenna for both components instead of the two. this will free up the other antenna that you are wanting to use.

Anonymous

I just bought a RCA combination rf modulator and switcher because the coaxial cable broke in my television and after taking the TV apart realized that it cannot come out. My problem is when I plug the modulator in the wall, the power light flashes for about a second and then nothing. Should I return it, or is there something I should do? Thanks for any help.

PK
Unregistered guest
We have a Sony HDTV. Dish satellite HD receiver. VCR/DVD combo. We can watch VCR tapes and the DVD works fine also. The problem is we can't tape anything. We've had Dish people here twice and they told us it can't be done. Maybe with an RF modulator or RCA cables. We don't necessarily need to tape an HD program, just anything. Before we spend even more money on this system, we need to know just what to get. Any suggestions, anyone?

aidsmookoy
Unregistered guest
hi, i got a tv w/c the turner is busted so my only way to feed signals is thru rca input. if i buy a tuner and let someone install it would be more expensive than a new tv! if i buy a demodulator its also costly? does anybody got any cheaper way? thanks. best regards.

Unregistered guest
I have cable hookup to my living room. I have a ClearOne A/V trans/receiver http://www.clearone.com/product_service/product_detail.php?prodid=100 that I want to use to transmit the signal to my TV in the basement. Unfortunately the trans/receiver comes with RCA inputs and outputs. From all that I have read in this thread - it looks like I cannot connect my coax cable to the RCA inputs of the transmitter - other than by using a cannibalised RF demodulator - right? There isn't a simple (read cheap) adaptor? This thread has been certainly helpful.

Anonymous

woop woop

kid-in-need-of-help
Unregistered guest
alright, i just bought a nintendo toploader entertainment system and the only output it has is a coaxial RF switch, i want to by an adapter to convert it to RCA cables for my tv, how do i do this?

Unregistered guest
I have el Video Card with VIVO and i want to convert the rf signal to rca cables, can u help me??

Unregistered guest
I have about 8 gaming systems, I want to abuse the projectors in the classrooms at my college, they have 2 connectors in the wall up to the projector, one is the standard svga/vga D shaped plug, the other looks like an RCA video plug. On the projector itself(mounted to the ceiling) is some other ports, looks like the whole RCA set with sound for some reson... and some other deals. The gaming systesm I have connect to a tv normaly via either the 2 horseshoe shaped wires with screw combo and a cool beans computer/tv switch box, or via regular RF coax, like the stuff that comes out of the wall, and off the poles.

A demodulator package looks to be 100 US beans. I don't want to spend that. What steps are involved in translating the signals? I have access to a minicomputer with software configerable i/o ports and a vga port as well.

poomang
Unregistered guest
Upon closer inspection it turns out that my VCR has a Coax RF in and RCA out... SNES at school on projectors... alright!

So I keep one of my VCRs in my locker... so what?

Username: Padixer

Hi
I have an old tv with only antenna input and I bought a DVD player and now I can't hook it up as there are no AV input jacks..!! How can resolve this problem ? Last resort will be buy a new Tv , but am short of cash for that...

rgds

Gold Member

Post Number: 1892
go to radio shack and get an RF adaptor. Tell them what you want to accomplish and they can get you the right product.

Anonymous

Looking for some help on connecting an old Sears VCR to a new DVD Recorder.I used the VCR as a reel-to-reel audio recording device (this model has the capability to insert any audio source replacing the audio received with the video signal-intended for Stereo simulcast sometimes available via radio.) I took it further and recorded much music from the radio 6 hours at a time with no regard to what the video content was-just had to have a signal to hold sync and maintain tape speed.
Now I am transfering audio tracks to DVD-6 hours at a time and would like to record the old video as well but this model of VCR doe not have a RCA video out but only rf out. What-where do I need to make this conversion from RF out to Line Composite In to connect to DVD recorder.
Thanks -

superclear
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem as many of you... trying to convert rf to an rca output. Your best bet is probably a cheap vcr. it should have both the rf input and rca output you are looking for. you should be able to pick one up for less than $50 anywhere

Silver Member
Username: Dirtfarmer

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 372
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide
Use this link to go directly to the discussion:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html

------------------------------------------------------------
Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 374
Berny
keeping busy i see
lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2699
LOL...And I see you've got yourself quite a big fan base.

Have you given any thought on making your own website? You've put quite an effort on your home theater connections.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 378
Berny
hi there
well i gluess a few people have seem the site, as must as i think i cover everything, there all was seem to be something that not, im was going to stop, but then i get question both on forum and private, that neeed answering lol
i never thought it would get so big lol
so i got a fan base that nice to know lol, and i never thought of a website, i did get one very nasty view from a person about the forum, told me is all mess up, lack direction, and the name should be change, and a few other thing i will not mention

hope i have not fill your inbox with my posting

i first started out finding info for me when i got a dvd and had to get a rd mod to get it to work, and i found out there info out ther but it all over the place and hard to find sometime, so i thought of the guide, but i never thought it would get so big, but i have notice ther are less people posting on a couple forum
maybe there are reading

Gold Member

Post Number: 2700
Arnie,
Yes, it would be nice to go to just one place and get information.
Therre will always be a few nasties out there, but, I think the few that actually appreciate the help and info will drown out the others.
Oh yeah, of course there are still those who won't take the time to read, they just want their problem addressed.LOL

JEN
Unregistered guest
HI, MY SON KEEPS KNOCKING OVER TVS AND BREAKING OFF THE CABLE JACK,IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THAT MYSELF?I HAVE 4 TVS TO FIX,HAVE THE JACKS BUT IMNOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THEM.THANKS

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 414
JEN
what break off and where at ????????? if on tv that would seem not to easy it not impossable
cable can be replace

jen
Unregistered guest
the little cable connection on the back of the tv,where you hook up the cable wire or dvd player.the connector broke clean off, i was wondering if i can open up the back of the tv and solder them back on, or if that would interfere with the picture somehow, right now im unable to hook up anything on the 2 with out front jacks,thanks

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 415
jen

NO
open a tv at back can hurt you very bad
there are thing inside YOU DO NO WHAT TO TOUCH, that can give you a one very nasty shock
ontil you know what you are going, i i would say not
and take tv to repair shop cost a arm and a leg now day. it not worth fixing tv set now days

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 464
Jen

here is something like what you ask about\plug brokening off at back
Home > Message Board > Home Theater > Home Theater Setup & Planning > Husband is gonna kill me!! PLEASE Hel...
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/123177.html

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I have two of these S-Video/RF modulator things and everytime I attempt to use the unit when power is supplied to the unit the power light goes on and then shuts right off, in other words the unit won't stay on, it just turns on an shuts right off? I had the unit working for some time, 2-3 months just fine then suddenly it started doing this. I found another one to test to see if it was the unit and its doing the same thing, this unit is also brand new purchased the same day.... The first unit was originally plugged straight into the wall, then into a surge protector would there but a power supply problem that caused both units to be fried?

Any insight and help would be appreciated
Thanks

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 494
z284pwr

could you tell us what you what to do,?????????
are you trying to get a dvd for example to work on a older tv ?????????
more info would be nice
have not idea what you are asking

Unregistered guest
Oh my bad, I didn't really think it would matter considering I wouldn't be able to get that far in the first place, but anyways.
Its connecting the TV-Out from the Computer *DVD Player* into the S-Video input on the RF Mod and using Coax lines into the older Magnavox TV, it worked flawlessly for the time it was working, then it just suddenly stopped staying on once power was turned on?

Username: Z284pwr

Since I wasn't able to edit before I realized I never registered duh...here is a little more info

Having the older TV i had never successfully been able to get the TV and the Computer to cooperatere. None of the generic Input devices have worked until this RF Modulator was discovered which required the power supply. The TV only has RCA inputs and the Coax inputs, and the S-Video/RCA adapter/converts never worked either, so the Modulator is the only was I have of getting the two units to talk to each other successfully.

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 495
Brian Edwards

hi there
yes to get a new dvd player to work work on a older tv, you would need a rd mod
her a good site for info on that, i even have been know to post there lol
Message Board: Home Video: DVD Players: Connect older TV to DVD, VCR & Digital Cable Box using RF Modulator
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/16195.html
also here a other site that you may find usefull, i also have been know to post there to lol
Message Board: Home Theater: Home Theater Setup & Planning: The ultimate theatre setup guide
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/113395.html
now the fun part, did i get it right you said compter !!!!!!!! if so that a new one on me
connected a dvdplayer to rf mod to tv is easy, but why are you throwing a compter in to it, if that the case i will be not help at all

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 496
Berny
can you make any thing of what Brian Edwards
(z284pwr ) what to do
arnie

Username: Z284pwr

Post Number: 2
I think your actually getting the point wrong here...
The problem has nothing to do with the two working together, that part has been established, the problem lies in the RF Modulator or something
The RF Modulator immediately turns on then off right after having power supplied to it. Whats being connected to the RF Modulator should have nothing to do with why its just turning off I would think?
But why would both of them be doing the exact same thing suddently when the one was just working perfecly fine, and the 2nd one is BRAND NEW? I have tried other outlets in the house/surge protectors, etc. etc. all with the same result

Silver Member

Alberta Canada

Post Number: 497
Brian Edwards
ok i may be way off base on your question, and a bit confuse to, i might say lol
ok
let go over a some base info and see if we can get close to what you what
the basic fact is on older tv you need a re mod to run a dvd on that tv
ok
for example her what i have to do i have older tv, so have to have a rf mod to run or even see a dvd on tv screen,
ok my rf mod is off on til i turn on the dvd player, of which the little red light come on when dvd come on
are we get close yet lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2761
What type of RF modulator is it?

Unregistered guest
I use a Recoton Video signal sender to send my Driectv signal to TV's throughout the house. I just bought a 5.6" LCD monitor for the bathroom (there's all ready a speaker). The Monitor has a single RCA video plug and two wires for the power (? a seperate obstacle!) The signal receiver has only a coxial 'F' type connector. Can I just buy the "F" to Phono Plug Adapter I see at RadioShack($4.29 Catalog #: 278-290 )? http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-290

Anonymous

I WANA CONVERT RF SIGNAL TO AV
PLS GIVE ME GOOD AND CHEEP METHOD

Unregistered guest
I'm having the same problem as Brian Edwards. I purchased a Terk RF Modulator(MOD 41). I thought it was the answer to my problems 'til i plugged it in and found a new problem!! The damn power won't stay on right out of the box. The frustrating thing is that i know it's something i'm doing wrong, cause this is the 3rd unit i've brought into this house(all different manufacturers). The result is the same... I'm about to saw a 32'' hole in my wall so i can watch tv in my office from the living room! No Response Needed- The saw's in my hand. :P

diane
Unregistered guest
RF Modulator no red light problem solved: I had the same problem where the red light on the modulator would flash on for a second and then wouldn't work anymore. Being stubborn I switched cords and tried new plugs-finally tried plugging in everything into a surge protector and then turning everything on at once. (I also unplugged the red plugs the first time because the drawing on the instruction manual only had two cords plugged in. Don't think this made a difference)My TV automatically comes on when the power turns on. So if yours doesn't turn on the TV first. Nothing changed until I hit the power button on my DVD-only then did the modulator red light come on. Don't know why but it worked that way but it did.

Anonymous

does anybody know how to get a simple rf to rca adapter or how to make a cheap easy homebrew version. Your input greatfully accepted at elitegamer76@bellsouth.net

Unregistered guest
Hello guys. I was looking around and I found this forum trying to find an answer to the same problem "how to convert RF to RCA", so I discover a site that offers a RF demodulator, the problem is that I could not acquire it. http://ieectw.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/10679238/RF_Demodulator.html

Username: Nancyhawaii

Post Number: 4
Hi JavierMX... if this works... I can probably get this unit. I also have the same problem and need to convert RF to RCA.

flybynight
Unregistered guest
does anyone have connection info for modulator type hitachi VM-RF50E ? for the A/V inputs

Anonymous

I would love to hear options on RF to RCA as well. I have just purchased a 7" portable DVD player that will take AV input via RCA. I have cable (RF) run into the room where this device will be used. I would love to send a signal to it from my Dish Network Satellite receiver. But I don't want to have to run 40' of RCA cable to do it. If they make a demodulator I would be interested. Even a low cost tuner would work. But as it looks now I may have to spend $100 on this gadget..
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-2572

ghjfjfghj
Unregistered guest
If i wanted to make my new Powermac G5's moniter as a tv, what would i need to install, and what hardware woulf i need?

Anonymous

will this gadget work: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1988

Username: Pece_bt

Bitola, Macedonia Macedonia

I need a convertor from A/V cable to regular coaxial cable, becouse I want co conect my computer wich have A/V outputs but my TV has only regular antena input. How can I do it?

Kay M
Unregistered guest
Hi

I bought a NTSC LCD TV in USA. HOw do I use it in India which is PAL B. I understand that I can buy a NTSC-PAL Video converter, however it does not have any co-axial inputs. Almost all of them have A/V inputs, so that a VCR or DVD can be connected. But none have any socket for Antenna input. Please help.

Unregistered guest
Hi Kay M, older VCR has RF input and output and also input signal as PAL & output as NTSC. So, you can use VCR sold in India as PAL-NTSC converter.(Sorry friend, I am guessing and planning to do the same. Please update me if it works).
Alternative method: Use RF-RCA Converter(Antenna to RCA) and PAL-NTSC converter(RCA PAL to RCA NTSC).
Thanks,Durai

Unregistered guest
I have an old Atari 5200 video game system that has a cable out with one RCA on the end that plugs into a small "tv/computer" switch box, which then plugs into the coax connector on the back of my television. What I would like to do is bypass the "tv/computer" switch and connect the one RCA out to the three RCA in on my television set. That way I wouldn't have to keep switching the "box" just the AV/TV on my television remote. I have no idea what type of signal (perhaps RF) is coming out of the Atari unit but the "tv/computer" switch looks to be very simple on the inside. Does anyone know what type of "converter" or "switch" I would need to acomplish this? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

The "GRANDTEC X CHANNEL Pro" seems to to what the original poster is looking for. Has RF input and RCA output. Did a google search and found it anywhere from $61 to $99
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us