Connecting computer speakers to a reciever

Username: Wizerjo

Post Number: 1
I have a reciever and speakers, that works fine, but is a little light on the bass for my taste, I also have a decent set of old, powered computer speakers with a subwoofer, they have a 1/4" jack connection while my reciever has standard speaker wire inputs (red and black for left and right) I currently have the computer speakers plugged into the headphone jack on the reciever, which works alright but I have this feeling that it may not be good for either the reciever or the computer speakers. Also aesthetically it just looks crappy having this wire coming out of the front of the reciever. Is it 1: possible to convert a 1/4" jack to plug into the regular speaker outs on the reciever and 2: is that going to ruin the reciever or powered speakers? If #1 is possible, how do i do it, I am generally capable with this kind of thing but have no special equipment or skills.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Ccdoggy

Post Number: 205
#1 cannot be done, you are not looking for a high level signal, you need a low level signal.

#2 running the signal from the ehadphone out to the speakers will be just fine.

The only other option is if your receiver has pre amp outputs in the back. connect to them and its basically the same thing but in the back.

Username: Wizerjo

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot, out of curiosity and if you have time, can you explain or point me to somewhere that can explain the high/low level signal thing?

Thanks again

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15389
High level signals are usually referring to speaker level outputs. Meaning the signal is ready to be fed to a speaker without further amplification nor does it need a separate power amplifier.

If you have powered computer speakers, you can use the line output of your receiver to connect them. you would need a stereo mini plug to RCA adapter. You do not use the speaker outputs of the receiver to connect the powered computer speakers.

Username: Jenjasper37

Davenport, IA United States

Post Number: 1
How do I connect multiple computer speakers to my Sony receiver?

Username: Kanyonkemal

Post Number: 6
The computer's volume should ideally be set to around 70-80%, and you can fine-tune the volume on the receiver. With this setup, you'll likely notice a significant improvement in sound quality, especially if your computer speakers are high-quality ones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us