Coaxial vs Digital Video

Could you please tell me the difference between coaxial digital audio cables vs composite. My receiver and DVD player has digital coaxial out and in respectively. The receiver also has digital out for PCM/DOLBY DIGITAL/DTS. Currently, I am using composite (red [right]and black [left]for my audio hook up). From what I read in my JVC manual, with digital coaxial audio connection, "Lineal PCM," "Dolby Digital" and "dts" lights up when these respective signals come in. While playing a DVD with my composite set up I only saw "ProLogic II."

If I connect a coaxial digital able from my DVD to my receiver, may I assume I must connect the digital out to the TV set otherwise there is no point in connecting digital coaxial from the DVD to the receiver? The problem with this is that my TV only has composite/S-Video. Could you clarify this issue.

Sincerely,

Bob Abrams

Derek
Composite is Video, specificly it contains a "Composite" of black and white and color on the same wire. This is usually a Yellow RCA connector.

Coaxial [Digital] is Audio. It is a stream of digital data that only contains audio. I can contain PCM, DTS or DD. This is usually an Orange RCA connector.

Though they use the same type of connector, they have nothing to do with each other and are not compatable with each other.

Your DD/DTS lights are not comming on because - 1). You MAY have to assign that particular digital jack to the device you are listening to (the DVD I assume). 2) using your receivers setup. You MAY have to tell your receiver to automaticly detect the digital audio when it is present for that input. That is also in your receivers setup. It will look like this:

DVD: Analog, PCM, DD, DTS, Auto.

You want AUTO.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us