Which power conditioner?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigpoppaphile

SAINT CLOUD, MN United States

Post Number: 34
I live in an apartment with not so good wiring and have all sorts of interference from air conditioners, bad wiring, etc. Anyways, I'm looking at the Monster HTS 2600 MKII PowerCenter for $179 accessories4less. I've also seen Panamax MAX 4300EX for around the some price online. Also at partsexpress they sell tripplite isobar surges, line conditioners, and an isolation transformer. What are those good for? Are they better than the monster or panamax setuup?

And which of these will be the better buy? especially keeping in mind the filtering aspect since that is what is important to me.

Also, if there are similar models anyone would recomend in that price range that would be great.
Thanks guys and galz!

Silver Member
Username: Nency

Post Number: 213
Hello friend i share to some information about this topic...The power conditioner provides protection against surges in power just as a surge protector does, but a power conditioner also maintains a continuous voltage fed to the computer during temporary voltage reductions.

Thanks for...

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15977
You are welcome for..

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2706
I know this is an old thread......but.....
A power conditioner does NOT maintain constant voltage. Most of 'em will turn off the outlets at specified over / under voltage limits. My Panamax will kill the outlets below 95v and above 135v. Its done it once in 15 years.
A surge protector DOES protect againt surges brought about by such things as lightning strikes. A surge of large proportions can destroy electronics a well as a drop off a 10 story building. Surge protectors also WEAR OUT. The usual active device, a MOV (Metal Oxide Varister) are cheap and plentiful. But, a few zaps and they are done. One BIG zap and they should be replaced or a new unit bought.

Most power conditioners include surge protection, but not the reverse! READ the label.

A power conditioner DOES remove 'noise' from things like light dimmers and some motors from the power line. This noise could interfere with all kinds of equipment. Many noises in your stereo can come from incoming power. Apartments and big cities are notorious.

When I installed my conditioner, my TV got blacker and all the little flecks of noise simply disappeared from the screen. I had to reposition my speakers, too, since that had changed as well.

Monster (awful company) makes a 'constant' voltage device, but I doubt it is inexpensive. A UPS may do the same thing.

An Isolation transformer does not step voltage up or down but is also used to provide 'balanced' power and help clean up the line. I use a small one on my digital gear// CD, DVD, PS3 SatDish receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us