Making your own audio cables!!!

Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 1
I work as an electronic assembler/ tester for an electronics company that builds equipment for cable and internet services.
Until recently, I didnt realize that all the money I was spending on expensive 60-90$ cables was not even worth it. This past weekend, I spent 40$ on cables.
I bought 70feet of RG-6 75ohm caoxial cable and some gold plated RCA connectors. I made a digital coax cable to connect my computers SPDIF output to my Denon receiver.
I ran the cable 32 feet, with no loss of signal. I then made a subwoofer cable that was 40 feet long using the same method.
I had been using a standard RCA 25ft cable as my sub cable, but I didnt realize how much bass I had been missing out on till now. It helps to do and have knowledge of making stuff like this. Otherwise i would have been dumb enough to spend 100$'s of $$$ on the same sort of cable built by Monster or Acoustic Research again.
From what I knew 6 yrs ago to what I know now, I wont be forking out money for expensive cables anymore. I'll just build em myself and sell them to friends who are dumb like I was to go out and buy the "BIG BRAND NAME CRAP."
So for all you new people out there who spent the last 3 weeks reading up on how to do it yourself, you will save a lot of money. I know i did, and its likely just as cheap to buy 1000ft of 75ohm coax cable then it is to buy one Monster cable. Thanks for all the help guys.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6390
You can even wrap it fancy looking nylon braids in different colors and sell it as audio boutique cables. Put your own brand name on it:-)

Lots of money to be made in fancy looking cables.

Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 2
Nice idea, but there really arent any small time places in the city where i could sell stuff like that. But with any luck, if i decide to keep it up, i likely could make some nice coin with people i know. then maybe get referrals.

My boss from work was over last nite checking out the sound difference with my cables. He was quite impressed, now i guess he is gonna give it a shot and see whether is sub cable will do the same trick mine did. He said he noticed it was quite muffly using the rca, then i switched the connections, he liked what he heard. So bonus for me being a do it urself type of guy.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6805
You can sell it on ebay. All you need is to market it as your own custom product. Give it a nice fancy name. "Volden Audio Cables" has a nice ring to it:-)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us