Connecting PC and TV to play through the DVD's surround sound!

AaRrGgHh
Unregistered guest
right.. Im sure this is possible but its a bit too techy for me...

I have just bought a new TV and DVD player with optical in/out and coaxel etc and I was wondering if I could connect my PC to this system to play it through the surround sound speakers? my current card is a 5.1 card and doesnt have optical out, but I can pick up one of those cheap enough if I have to!

A couple of other quick questions! can I also link up my TV to play through the surround sound speakers as well has having my PC connected as I dont want separate surround sound systems clogging the room, and If I connected my PC to my TV with TV out - would I also be able to use the dvd players surround sound speakers to here this sound?

sorry if it sounds confusing.. but any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jon!

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 46
Hi,

I assume that it's a DVD/Receiver all in one.

You should be able to plug any optical digital source into an optical in, so yes, if your PC has an optical out, you can plug it into the receiver and play sounds through it when you select the input in the receiver.

You should also have some RCA inputs on the back of the receiver, if your TV has RCA outputs, connect the two of them, set the receiver to whatever the input is labelled as (TV/VCR or whatever). You may need to use a TV menu to activate the outputs (possibly evert time that you turn on the TV).

HTH,
Craig

Anonymous

Well on this i have an HD tv with multiple inputs and only one "Programable Output to Amp" is the name on the back of the TV, NOW if i take the RCA Red and White to the back of the AMP Input, I cannot get sound, I don't think TV's have an actual output for sound and Video, NOW with all this said, what i am trying to do is have Satalite TV and the sound from that into the amp. The Satalite receivers are in the back room about 70 ft away, So i would have to run an RCA from the back of the Sat. receivers to the back of the amps input.
I did test this by recording sound from the Digital cable into my computers MIC IN and was able to play the sound from the cable. you must use your sound cards config program in the control panel to make the LINE IN to the MIC line in.

Now for the main issue , i though all TV's had an Video/sound OUT so you could take it to an amp, other wise with a satelite or cable tv you have to run the sound from that receivers outputs.
Then if that is true, how do you connect an TV with out Sat or cable TV (receiver) to your home sound system, i though when i did it the old days i had to use an VCR because it had inputs and outputs.Does that sound correct.

Unregistered guest
i would like to play my video files on my pc through my dolby multi channel amp which has a projecter and speakers connected the amp has svideo in/out optical in/out phono in/out digital in/out but no scart problem is with laptop only has rgb or usb (no svideo)can anyone help either email (alillycrop@aol.com or leave forum thanks

Unregistered guest
i have just purchased a new dvd with digital optical connection, my old dvd and my surround sound system is 5.1 and connected by 6 leads and a s/w lead, is there a way I can connect the new dvd to my sound system.

Unregistered guest
Hey what would I plug the other end of the optical cable from a Creative Audigy 2 ZS (PC sound card) optical out into on a reciever, in particular the Onkyo HT-R530 (identical to the TX-SR503 I believe, just with more power: see http://www.onkyousa.com/zoom.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR503#). ?

Do I need to do Optical to Coaxial with a converter like this: (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Co2MAudio/), or do I just need an optical cable that has the thin headphone style plug to the fatter plug for the jacks below the coaxial jack on the reciever?
thanks guys.

Username: Mack1525

Post Number: 6
Is it dangerous for a projection tv to accept a signal from a PC? I'm looking at my Toshiba manual and it says "NOTE: Never connect this TV to a personal computer."

Should i be worried?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us