10 wires into 2 for speakers?

Username: Advice

Post Number: 1
Hi,

We got a house which has ceiling mount speakers. I traced the speaker wire and it has 10 wires (see pic). Each wire is very thin. How do I connect this to my amplifier? I am familiar with the regular two connections (red and black). I could buy new speaker wire and run it again but wanted to avoid getting into the attic if I can :-)

thanksUpload

wec
Unregistered guest
You first need to determine how the 10-conductor is being used and what the color code is.

How many speakers are there?

Username: Advice

Post Number: 2
there is wiring for 5 speakers. 4 of them are already ceiling mounted and 1 is open meaning i can hook up a speaker there if i want to. if i can just get the exisitng speakers working, i will be happy for now.

i do not know how the 10-conductor is being used and what the color code is. Thats is exactly what i am trying to figure out and posted here. Any ideas as to how I would go about determining this?

thanks.

wec
Unregistered guest
I think you'll have to pull the speakers and look. No telling what the installer did.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 166
Connect one of the wires to the negative terminal of a low voltage battery. Connect each of the other wires until you hear a click/thump from one of the speakers. If you have someone to assist and the speaker cones are visible, get get them to tell you i the cone move out or in when the voltage is applied. If the cone moves in then reverse the wires. Put a piece of tape on the pair of wires to indicate which speaker they are connected to and which way the battery was connected.
Repeat with other wires.
Connect to appropriate terminals observing + - markings.
HTH

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 166
easiest way is gonna be to pull the speakers from the ceiling and note the color codes for each speaker. the battery way will be a pain in the @$$ with 10 wires....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us