New Home wiring

Username: Azrookie

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 1
Hello

This is my first of many posts. I've been lurking for a month trying to learn some of the A/V lingo. I'm a limited A/V guy, but a very handy do-it-yourselfer. I am having a new home built here in AZ(slab has just been poured) and I want to pre-wire it for a home audio and home theather system after they frame out. I am starting out with no eq. for either system. Like most who haven't won the lottery I'm on a budget. What that budget is has yet to be determined. I do want to wire my system for future additions.

The home is 4 bedroom/2.5 bath dining room, living room and family room appx.2100 sq. feet. I want to set up the home theather system in the Family room. The home audio system would be for the four bedrooms, master bathroom, dining room/living room, kitchen, garage, backyard patio w/room for additional outdoor speakers. In total I am looking at 18 speakers, in a nine zone system. The entire sustem will be clustered in the first floor stairwell closet. I would like to have volume controls in each room . I've also read some on component controls in each room but don't know enough about it yet.

My list of questions on wiring:

1. Is 16 guage wire O.K for the audio system? What wire size should I run for the home theather?

2. If I want component control along with volume control do I need a diff. type of wire?

3. When wiring the audio system can I run one room feed off another room feed?

4. How much will not having audio equipment pre-selected play into how I wire my ststem?

5. Having clustered the equip. , what would be the best way to pre-wire for expansion?

6. Is there a service that can look over my wiring diagram?

I'm sure to have a zillion more questions. Please try to keep your responses with a novice in mind. Thanks in advance.

Rookie

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 228
AZ Rookie, these seem to be basic layout questions of the system you seek to build. If you are having trouble answering these types of questions you should consider hiring a professional. You will definately need a multizone amplifier such as the ones offered from Niles which will send audio to about twelve different zones. You should use 12 AWG wiring for any speaker runs over 50'. Once again, not to sound condescending, but it appears you a in a bit over you head an should really consider having this installed for you.

Lester
Unregistered guest
1) 16awg is fine. 14 if you want, and 14 is fine for the HT.
2) You'll want to add at least a Cat5 along with your speaker feed. Pull both to the VC location, and run the Cat5 to one speaker as well.
3) NO! All audio runs should be home run from the head end (Eq) to each room or zone. Same for control.
4) It shouldn't if your remote system doesn't need any specialty wire, ie:crestron ($$$).
5) Establish wire chasses for future wire pulls. Install flex tube conduit to attics and crawl spaces. Pull some extra wire to dead spaces where you can get to them later.
6) Contact a local A/V installer for a consultation.

Username: Willm

Post Number: 4
This may sound stupid but what will you use the cat5 for in # 2?

Lester
Unregistered guest
Keypad or IR control.

Username: Azrookie

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 2
ER- I am looking into a MZ AMP. Right now I would say i'm a bit over my head, but that's what education is all about. Part of that education is from books/net, some will be from individuals that have the experinces I can learn from. My construction background will help in wire pulls and jbox set ups.

Lester- Thanks for the response. I'm going with ir control, so I will need the Cat 5 to each box along with speaker wire from my from media center. Then the speaker wire from the box to the speaker location. Correct?

Lester
Unregistered guest
Correct. Speaker and Cat5 from whole house EQ to volume control/IR/keypad location. Then speaker wire to speakers. You can also run a Cat5 to one speaker from the control for an IR sensor in the speaker.

Don't use boxes for the controls. Use plaster rings or backless, new work, plastic boxes.

Keep in mind that a "multi zone" amp and a "multi channel" amp are not necessarily the same thing. There's also a big price difference between the two.
And, you can achive source control with a simple IR extender or keypad system from Xantech. It all come down to the system functions you want, and budget.

Lester
Unregistered guest
Correct. Speaker and Cat5 from whole house EQ to volume control/IR/keypad location. Then speaker wire to speakers. You can also run a Cat5 to one speaker from the control for an IR sensor in the speaker.

Don't use boxes for the controls. Use plaster rings or backless, new work, plastic boxes.

Keep in mind that a "multi zone" amp and a "multi channel" amp are not necessarily the same thing. There's also a big price difference between the two.
And, you can achive source control with a simple IR extender or keypad system from Xantech. It all come down to the system functions you want, and budget.

Unregistered guest
I have a very elementary question but afraid I have to ask. I have a new home and just opened the cover for where volume controls are to be placed. Each "box" has two pairs of speaker wires (which I'm assuming go the speakers in the ceiling) and a Cat5 bundle. I would have thought I'd see four pairs of speaker wires (two as the inputs to my volume control and two as the outputs). Am I missing something here or do I need to contact my builder. Thanks!

wec
Unregistered guest
VC locations should have R+L feed from headend and R+L out to speakers. Each wire should be a two conductor (unless they're four conductors, then one in and one out).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us