Cable help

Username: Will_m68

Kernersville, NC USA

Post Number: 2
I am buying a new HDTV and I need to put in a different cable drop for the tv. am I ok using RG6 for the drop or should I go all the way back to the dish with new cable. The dish and cable are about 4 years old. THanks for any help.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4239

What's running fom the dish now? RG6 should be the cable of choice from dish to receiver.

Username: Will_m68

Kernersville, NC USA

Post Number: 3
I think it's RG6 now but I have herd you all talk about different cables I didn't know if that would be ok for the HDTV. If that will work that is what I will use. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 229
William, there is no need to change a thing if you have a good signal now. RG6 is the standard for satellite tv and RG6 will work for HDTV as well. Remember the basic rule of mechanics"If it's not broken don't try to fix it."

Username: Willm

Post Number: 2
I do have a good signal now. That is what I will do just put another drop of rg6 for the new tv and room. Thanks for all your help. I am also putting in surround sound, I'm buying the box set. Is the cable that comes with it good enough or do I need to buy better cable.
Thanks again

Username: Willm

Post Number: 3
also is there a big difference in the rg6 and the quad rg6? will it make a difference in the picture?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 230
A HTIB (home theater system) will have a very limited fidelity, when compaired to a home theater with a seperate receiver or amplifier so the extra expense on wire is not worth it. Also many of these packaged systems have speaker connector plugs already installed so you most likely not be able to "upgrade" the speaker wire without cutting off these plugs, which of course will probably void your warranty. If such is not the case with your system you could go out and buy some 16 AWG zipcord which would be better than the wire that comes with most HTIB systems which averages 18-20 AWG. Quad RG6 has 4 braided RFI and EMI rejection shields, hence it's name "quad". Although this is not a bad idea since a sat cable does have an high frequency signal running through it and is outdoors so it is even more subject to interference than if it were indoors but it is not necessary. Usually one or two of these braided metallic shields are needed for RFI and EMI rejection so you are paying for overkill although not much more. You could try the Quad RG6,only if it costs little more but i'm very skeptical it will deliver a noticable picture difference and regular RG6 has two shields which is plenty adequate.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us