Check this out

Bronze Member
Username: Jiggad369

Post Number: 19
would the following wire be appropriate for reciever to speakers connection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32833%26item%3D5764975662 %26

its silver plated copper and insulated well and moslty cheap. im thinking of ordering two of them and braiding it twice in order to create 10 awg from 20 awg. im certainly not buying no snake oil monster 50' spool for 10 times this price and i thought this might be a good idea. please give your inputs.. i would highly appreciate it. thanx.

Lester
Unregistered guest
Hay Dru, A couple of things...

>"Toughest stuff around and very flexible"
If it's so flexible, why is it standing straight up on its own? And how tough does it really need to be?

>"Teflon" "Good for up to 200 degrees C"
I understand this rating for the use in military aircraft. Teflon has a high heat capacity and isn't as toxic as the normal PVC wire jacket when it does burn. However, if it were me, and there were 200 degree C temps (that's 392F), I imagine there would be concerns other then weather or not my speaker wires were ok.

It looks like it's a single conductor wire, which means you'll need two per speaker. And if you're going to double up, then four per speaker. Which means:
50' @ $8.00 + $4.00s&h = .24cents a foot for a 20awg single conductor wire. That's .48cents a foot per speaker (16/2 runs .20cents a foot). And if you double up for a thicker gauge, it's .96cents a foot per speaker. A good 14awg two conductor speaker cable would run you around .35cents a foot. 12awg from HD is still cheaper I think.

Also, that teflon stuff is a pain to work with. It's like wiring a slinky.

L.

Bronze Member
Username: Jiggad369

Post Number: 20
so can you show me which type of wire i should use?

Lester
Unregistered guest
Start here and look for 16awg or 14awg speaker cable
http://www.partsexpress.com

Do a search on speaker wire.

Go to your local Home Depot or similar store, and by speaker wire by the foot, as much as you need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us