Connecting DVD, receiver, TV

Username: Major

Post Number: 1
I have a question about wiring a 5.1 ch. DVD to a receiver and TV.

Are the cables running from the the DVD to the receiver simple RCA cables? It seems as if this would negate a lot of the sound quality that the DVD produces. Also, if you plan to use the DVD to play cd's is it also necessary to connect the Audio out from the DVD to the receiver. If I want to listen to the TV through the receiver do I just use a simple RCA? Finally for component video connection, are there component cable connection from the DVD to the receiver and receiver to the TV?

Bottom line, how many total cables do you need for the connections between the receiver, DVD and TV? What websites sell these cables?

Thank so much.

Robert Jenks
Unregistered guest
There are quite a few ways to connect cable box, DVD, receiver and TV together. At a minimum---Connections between DVD and a/v receiver: For Audio, either digital coaxial, digital optical or simple RCA (CABLE ONE); If you did not use RCA you need to connect Video with either component or s-video (CABLE TWO). For connection between a/v receiver and TV: either component, s-video or RCA (CABLE THREE) You did not mention how your cable (or sattelite) box is connected. You could use same set-up as between DVD and a/v receiver for another one or two cables depending on set-up used.

Unregistered guest
Same post as listed before... Hey all. I have a similiar question that has got me puzzled. My uncle gave me a PROJECT reciever from the 70's and it's killer. Subwoofer rocks and I have four speakers hooked up to it. DVD player audio out is plugged into the AUX inputs for the reciever and I won't watch another DVD using the single speaker off my RCA TV. Is there any way to get the audio from my TV to play through my stereo without buying another TV with audio outputs on it? I was going to disconnect the single speaker and rewire the line to go directly into my reciever but don't want to screw it up and be without a TV. The back of my TV only has a Cable Input, Audio/Video Input. No S-Video In, Audio/Video output. It's only a 19". I could just go out and get a new TV, but I don't think I could offload this TV on someone. Help. Please. Model of my TV from RCA: http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetail/0,2588,PI700107,00.html? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Just so I'm clear: I want to hook my TV up to my reciever so I have better sound.

Anonymous

I have Sony HDTV widescreen, Sony Theatre box, which consists of reciever, DVD and speakers. I also have Sony VCR and Foxtel (with digital version coming soon.
How do I connect all of these pieces correctly?
(Previously I had a normal TV, Foxtel and VCR. The foxtel cable went into foxtel, foxtel connected to VCR, VCR to TV.)

Anonymous

I have a yamaha 5750 im connecting receiver,tv,dvd,cd,& vcr. I have sound from dvd and cd player from speakers. I cant get a picture from dvd or tv sound through receiver. i am using component video cables. how do i hookup the cables?

Username: Stevenhb

Post Number: 2
Re: connecting the speaker wires of an RCA TV to an amplifier: The signal that is fed to the speakers is not designed to be fed to the line-level inputs of your amplifier. You'd need some kind of conversion and I can't tell you exactly what that would be.

Unregistered guest
Hi All,
We have an older (5-10yrs) TV and want to connect a DVD player. Problem is, the Tv has got no RCA in, just coax. Is there any way to RCA to Coax ?

Any tips?
cheers
mike

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 653
check Radio Shack for an adapter.

Mabel Nesbit
Unregistered guest
I have a toshiba DVD/CD receiver/player, 4 1/2 years of good quality use. Recently, it will not LOAD the disc. It just flashes "Loading" and never loads. I paid $450 for it.I bought a DVD Sony player,$100 in the meantime and the picture quality is not nearly as good, never mind the inability to connect the extra speakers that I connected there on my receiver. Is my Toshiba receiver worth taking for repair, or should i just buy another one. I am a woman and usually get ripped off alot when i need repairs on anything. I don't enjoy my movies as much now. The visual with the receiver was almost HD quality and the sound was like being at the movie theater..HELP, from someone with experience..and Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 714
Mabel, you are not the only one who gets ripped off on repairs. It is just too expensive to bring in electronics for repairs, and it is usually a cheaper to buy a new updated toy.
Do you have a budget for a new receiver/player?

Unregistered guest
Last week I bought SONY DVD player with 5 speakers.
I have sony tv. When I play CD/DVD directly from the player I am getting the proper audio output.
when i try to get audio output from tv output to my dvd input, I am getting the audio from one side speaker only. In second speaker I am getting some noise only nothing else.
Can u please help me out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 793
consult the user manual for the proper connections and trouble shooting.

Unregistered guest
Detailed instructions how to connect NAD T512 DVD player, NAD T742 AV Surround Sound Receiver, Philips VR 288 VCR and Sanyo CM29KF81A 29inch flatscreen TV for best results, using S-Video and/or coaxial and/or analog stereo RCA cables, will be much appreciated.Does a S-Video cable carry both sound and picture?

dazed and confused
Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba Cinema Series TV, a Toshiba DVD, with a HK-AVR85 reciever. I recently got satellite TV and decided to re-wire part of the system and now I have everything working except the DVD. The picture is clear and on video 1 where it used to be but I am not getting any audio, I use an s-video cable from the DVD to the reciever, where should I go from there? Dazed and confused

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 198
Could be that receiver's S-Video input is just a bypass to its S-Video output.

Anyway, it's often better to use a digital interconnect from DVD to receiver. Then you can use receiver's sound processing.

Cheers
AL

Anonymous

Question: I have a dvd recorder and am using an RCA adaptor (modulator) as I have an older TV and I'm running it from a cable converter into the DVD and from there through the modulator and then into the TV via RF (RCA type) connectors. Everything runs fine but when I play back the recording, the volume is nowhere as loud as it should be. Also, when I power the DVD recorder off, the sound on the TV is louder than with the DVD powered on. Any ideas what this could be related to?

Thanks.

Anonymous

I have a new flat screen tv and have my dvd player and surround sound connected. I can only hear the surround sound speakers when I am watching a dvd. How can I listen to the tv through the dvd speakers? What wires do I need?

Unregistered guest
Hello,
I just replaced a 3 yr.old 5-disc DVD/CD changer that came as part of a Panasonic Surround Sound 5.1 Channel Home Theater System with a new Panasonic single disc DVD/CD player. On the older DVD player, an Optical Fiber Audio connection was used, but the new DVD player only has the RCA or coaxial connections. I connected a coaxial cable from the DVD coaxial out to the receiver coaxial in, but I get no sound. I only get sound when I use the RCA connections. Any suggestions??

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 252
Hmm... Sounds like a setup issue:

- DVD assigned to coaxial input in receiver menu?

- Digital out activated in player menu?

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
I was just given a Kenwood DVD 605 unit with the RCA Cords the yellow red and white. the guy connected the RCA cords to the Kenwood DVD player, but I am not sure where to plug in these cords to the TV. All the conncetions are available on the Tv I just am not sure which ones will work

Anonymous

i have a samsung 50" widescreen hdtv and a panasonic sc-ht920 home theater system. i can only hear audio through the surround sound system when playing a dvd.. How do i get it so i can listen to tv channels through it as well?

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 256
One way is to connect TV's audio output to receiver. If the latter has some algoritm (Prologic II, Circle surround, DTS Neo) you can expand stereo to surround sound.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
I have a sylvania that has only two out lets in the front. White and yellow. I want to connect a dvd to it. I try and by plugging in the yellow ane white into both dvd and tv. and connect the red into the dvd. But I cannot get a picture on my tv. I put the channel manually on "game" on the tv. I dont have a remote. But nothing.
Please help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1923
the yellow is for video input and the white is for the left audio channel or the mono input.
You have to set the dvd player to mono.

Unregistered guest
I have that same sylvania tv; as Berny said yellow is for video and the white is for audio. I was wondering if I could connect speakers to the tv. Mono audio is pretty shallow and crappy. Would I need a receiver? There is only one coaxial plug and one set of a/v inputs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1932
You can connect speakers to the TV, but that would entail opening up the tv set and would end up looking messy and a bit like a failed science project. The sound will fare no better as the sound will still be mono on 2 speakers. A receiver will only do you good if the source is stereo or better.

Anonymous

I just purchased an Onkyo surround sound system.

Question: The user manual shows that video cables are required from DVD to Receiver to TV. Can I just hook up component video from DVD to TV and audio from DVD to Receiver?

This would save 1 component video cable. I don't understand why the receiver would need video.

Silver Member

MadridSpain

Post Number: 266
The video inputs and outputs on the receiver is just for using it as a switch between sources. A matter of convenience for some, but not necessary at all. You can connect DVD directly to TV, just as you describe.

Cheers
AL

Unregistered guest
Can a DVD player be connected to a TV that only has coaxial cable input?

Unregistered guest
I have an new Accura DVD player. The player came with a remote and one set of cables that included the yellow video pin and the red and white audio pins. The television is only a few years old and seems to have all the connections necessary for the DVD player. There is also a VCR and a digital cable box hooked up to the TV. Any advice on how to connect the DVD player? I have tried a few different ways unsuccessfully. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Rafa - You need to visit your local electrical components shop and buy a rf modulator

Unregistered guest
Rafa - You need to visit your local electrical components shop and buy a rf modulator

Unregistered guest
Think i've pressed some wrong buttons....i have a panasonic scht520 cinema surround dvd,setpal freeview and phillips widescreen tv. On first day setting up they all seemed to find each other and could get my freeview tv sound through the surround system. Put in DVD and it automatically changed. I have obviously done something as now can't get dvd sound on the tv, freeview sound through surround and have to keep changing channels..i.e. AV, EXT to go between inputs....any ideas how to reset the whole system?

Username: Stralka

I have a Toshiba SD-2200U DVD player. I have a
picture but no sound. I tried every white/red connection possible and still no sound. All I have are 2 sets of the red, white and yellow cables. My T.V is a PhillipsMagnavox tp 2781 c101. Do I need different cables?

Unregistered guest
we have Sanyo AVM-2503 model. now we want to connect the CD Player to TV. but yellow video and the Red and white audio conneting components are not available in the back side of TV. Then how do i connect the CD player to TV?

Anybody have an idea about this?

Thanks
saravana

Anonymous

Im trying to connect my stereo to the DVD but no sound is coming out of the speakers even when i set it to Video.

Help me please!

Unregistered guest
I apologize for posting a non-audio query here but this site seems knowledgeable and one of the few I cn find which a non-technogeek might understand.

I have just gotten an Accura DVD player and connected it to a new-ish (2 year old) cloour tv - a "Prima" from Futureshop. I get sound and picture but the picture is in black and white only. I've tried playing with the "Hue" and "Tint" settings in the DVD set-up menu to no avail, so I suspect it's something more basic. Any suggestions anyone?

Anonymous

I have an older Kenwood reciever, it has hook ups for DVD 5:1, but they are 5 seperate inputs, one for every speaker and an extra for a subwoofer. Right now I have my dvd going to vcr2, but I'm not getting the 5;1 surround sound. I don't have an digital coaxal or digital optical going to my dvd on my reciever. Is there any way I can hook this up? I can't even find a dvd player with the 5 speakers coming out seperately.

Unregistered guest
How do I connect the DVD (Daewoo) to my TV? I don't have a receiver, but I already have a VCR connected to this TV, and the cable box. I can't get the DVD to play audio or video on the TV.

Unregistered guest
I just purchased an audiologic DVD home theater system. I can't seem to get it hooked up to the TV. I can't seem to get any sound from the TV. The X-Box works fine as well as the DVD which is also the speaker system. The DVD lacks coaxial inputs or outputs, but has plenty of video and audio feeds. The TV has one coaxial in and on each of video, yellow, audio, white, and audio, red. How can I get my TV to play audio through the home theater system? Thanks

Eric22222
Unregistered guest
I have a dvd home theatre system in my bedroom that plays fine on my tv with help from a modulator. When I switch to auxillary to watch tv the modulator shuts off and I can't listen to my tv channels through my dvd system. My living room home theatre system has the option to switch from tv to dvd. My bedroom system has options dvd tuner aux 1&2. I have my tv hooked up to aux 1 through red white and yellow jacks. Please help.

Unregistered guest
I have just bought a dvd player but no-one mentioned that my 12 yr old tv would not be compatible. Do I need to buy a modulator, or must I buy a new tv now? Also, can I keep my freeview box connected, or will I have to disconnect it each time I want to watch a dvd?

Thanks!

Anonymous

I have an Apex AD-1130W DVD player, hooked to a new Orion Durband TV, red/yellow/white cables plugged into their respective places in front of TV. I put the TV on 3 or 4, put in the disk, the power light is lit on the DVD player. The remote has new batteries but won't do ANYTHING. The instructions manual for the DVD player is in computerspeak or you need an electrical engineering degree to read it. Can someone give me simple instructions as how to run this mess, PLEASE?

Unregistered guest
Help! I received a Toshiba SD3900 DVD player as a gift last week (Christmas 2004). At first, it worked just fine. However, two days ago it started giving trouble. It powers up ok and the discs go in ok. All controls work. Everything looks fine, EXCEPT it no longer comes up on my TV screen. Not even the intro "Welcome" screen or menu will come up. When I switch video inputs I get a very quick "blip" of sound before the TV returns to the blue screen, indicating that there IS something there getting from the DVD player but no longer staying up. I've checked all the cables and have changed nothing but still can't it to display anything on the TV screen. Can anyone help? (And calling Toshiba Canada was a waste of time. Just got automatic voice main that went nowhere, eventually breaking the connection and hanging up on me.) Sure would appreciate some help. Thanks.

Volunteer
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Kenwood Surround Sound system, it came with a dvd player that has a volume knob. It has five speakers and a subwoofer and all of them work perfectly. However, they only work when I play dvd's or cd's in the dvd player it came with. They dont work with just watching tv, just the tv speakers work there. I have audio/video cable (the red, yellow, and white cable) that you put into your tv and dvd player, but it still only works for movies and cd's. I gave thought to buying a VCR or something thinking I could connect the dvd player to the tv through that, but I wasnt sure, what do I do here.

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 20
Volunteer,

The red, white and yellow cables are one way only. Are the red and white connectors on the TV for audio in, or out?

You want connectors that say "audio out" on the TV and plug them into the DVD receiver on one of the audio in connectors (any will do, as long as you remember which, for switching to that input later).

Then, you may also have to turn the TV audio outputs on too. On my Sony TV I have to do this (via the audio settings menu) every time I turn the TV on, otherwise the sound goes to the TV speakers. It's a pain, but that may be your problem.

You then need to set the DVD receiver to the option that you plugged the audio cables into.

One solution to the TV audio defaulting to off is to plug in from a VCR or DVDR or a cable/sat/digi box.

HTH :D

Unregistered guest
Please can anyone give me the info how to connect a video / TV / DVD player and skybox together. Many thanks

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 27
Dave,

Using a Scart cable for the DVD, and preferably for the video and Sky too. This really depends on your TV. Ideally your TV should have at least 2 scart connectors.

Simple:
The DVD connects totally seperately to the video and Sky boxes.

DVD <--> TV scart 1 (marked RGB)

On the Sky box, I think the video scart is the top one...

Video <--> Sky (Video) ... Sky (TV) <--> TV scart 2 (marked either S-Video or RGB)

Set your video to its AV channel and the sky picture should display.

Advanced:
In the DVD settings make sure scart video out is set to RGB.

On the Sky box set the picture mode for Scart to RGB if the TV scart 2 supports it, otherwise set it to S-Video or video.

Other options for lesser featured equipment:
If you only have 1 scart on the TV, you better hope that the video has 2 scarts. In that case daisychain the DVD into the video (input scart), then from video to sky, then from sky to TV.

As a last resort with only one scart on the video and the TV...
Connect the aerial cable from sky to the video, then from the video to the TV (you'll need to do this anyway if you want to watch terrestrial TV while taping Sky). Then connect the DVD to the Scart on the TV.

Hope that helps :D

Unregistered guest
Wondering if anyone can help me, I have a dvd/vcr combo with a satalite dish, and i just baught a surround sound home theater that came with another dvd player. I was wondering if it is posssible to hook it all up so that the surround sound can work on everything, and not just the dvd player. My other problem is that my tv is fairly old, and doesnt have any way of connecting it except coax. Is there anything that could be done, or is it pointless, and time to buy a new tv? Thanx.

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 31
Jimbofonstad,

I'm afraid that as long as you have that TV you'll be stuck with RF only (aerial/antenna) connection, which means the picture won't be all that it could be.

If your DVD/VCR combo has audio outs, you can plug these into the surround system. Any connector will do, but one marked VCR or TV would make more sense. Then all you have to do is set the surround sytem to the 'TV' option and use the VCR for viewing and changing channels.

HTH :D

Unregistered guest
Craig,
many thanks for your help, sorry to leave it so long to reply will try as you advised.
Thank you
Freshwater Dave

Francisco
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking of buying a Philips DVD Player Model DVP642.
The problem is that I only have a MONO TV - for the time being - one thing at a time!
Can anyone tell me if this model has the possibility of putting out a MONO signal thru the White (left-channel) cable?

Unregistered guest
dear all, i have a yamaha rx-540 a/v reciever using with jbl simply cinema home theater system which is connected to "A" speaker connection of the reciever. i want to add 2 more large sansui speakers to "B" speaker connection of the reciever. i want to know whether i can use both "A" n "B" speakers together and if yes what setting should be in the main sound setup menu of the reciever. should i mark the speaker size to "Large" or "small" as the main speakers connected to "A" are small and the ones connected to "B" are large. also where should i direct the "LFE" range i.e. only to main speakers , only to subwoofer or to both.

would very much appreciate suggestions / solution on above. Thanks

eran_m
Unregistered guest
Just bought Audiologic home theatre system. i have old TV so connected via Modulator RF. when i play the dvd, i get no picture. only sound.

any advice?

Unregistered guest
yo i have a Sansui vcr/dvd player and i want to connect it to a JVC widescreen tv and also i want to connect it to a comcast cable box. How do i do this?

Anonymous

I am buried in wires!
We have a Sony 42 inch HDTV, a Sony DVD/CD player and a receiver. Also have a MONSTER POWER Home Theater Reference Power Center (protected coax jacks).

Can you lead me through the connections, starting
with the coax cable from the wall?

The coax cable from the wall connects to the MONSTER power center at the cable connection in, and then a coax goes from the cable out connection to the cable connection on the back of the TV? When I performed the setup, it only found 27 analog stations...not all the expanded cable stations we always got with the other TV.

Any ideas?

If you could help by detailing the connections with the MONSTER power station, TV, DVD and receiver I would be most appreciative!

Thanks so much.

Karen

Unregistered guest
I bought a Toshiba DVD in Bern, Switzerland last month. It is Code free and I am using it in Malawi. The problem is that I can no longer play DVDs on it. It is giving an error message " BAD" or sometimes " NO DISK". I can occassionally play audio CD on it provided I do not slot in a DVD first. If I do, then I do not even play the audio CDs. Please help!

Kath
Unregistered guest
Can anyone help?!

My TV has only one scart socket, so I have plugged in a multi-scart adapter to connect both a DVD and Video to the TV.

Both are tuned in and showing really clear pictures on video channel - but I can't get any sound on the video channel unless I unplug the DVD player, and even then I still can't get any sound from a tape playing in the video unless I plug the scart from the video directly into the TV rather than the adapter.

DVD player has sound all the time with no problem - even when everything is plugged in.

Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
Hi there!

I bought this home cinema from LG (LH-T6440), with 5 speakers and a subwoofer. I connected it to my 4 years old tv set, Sony Trinitron (KV-36FS100), and when I turned on the dvd player it only played an annoying sound and the image was in black/white..is there anyway to make this work together? I've been reading the previous messages and figured out that may be something I can do...pleaase somebody answer this!! I have to solve this before 4 days, or the store isn't giving me back any money =(

Unregistered guest
i have an alba 22" tv and i want to hook up a dvd to it.....unfortunately there is no scart socket in the back of the tv....i have tried several variations of scart plug with different colour wires on the other end but nothing seems to work....any ideas......

Unregistered guest
i have an alba 22" tv and i want to hook up a dvd to it.....unfortunately there is no scart socket in the back of the tv....i have tried several variations of scart plug with different colour wires on the other end but nothing seems to work....any ideas......

Unregistered guest
Please HELP... I haven't got a clue on how to connect my Magnovox 27" TV; Digital (Motorola) cable box (Comcast); Symphonic DVD/VCR (MP3); Audiologic DVD Home Theater System & XBox and I don't have any manual instructions. They all have the AV jacks (red/yellow/white cables?) Do I need to use a coaxial cable and/or an S-Video cable as well? Please HELP!

Nave
Unregistered guest
All you have to do is buy a component switcher, and run the main line from you TV, then have all your components to the miltiple "In" lines. this is the same for everything,. except run the audio outs from your DVD player into your surround reciever, not the TV.

Amirg
Unregistered guest
Have an old TV with scart input.
I connected my new LG DVD scart output to the TV scart input.
Couldn't figure out on the TV and the DVD remote controls how to get the video?
Thanks in advance....

Unregistered guest
Help please! I have just aquired a freeview box. I also have a hdd dvd and a tv. The freeview box has a scart (connected lead) out. which I plugged into the input scart on my dvd. I plugged an output scart from my dvd into my tv (which has only one scart socket). Hoever it does not work! I then bought a multiway scart box and plugged them all into there. This does work but means that I can only view 1 at a time? If I want to watch another I have to keep jumping up and switching the box. Can I not set it up to view any? Can I not record from freeview to dvd? Why does it not work without the multiway? Any help greatly apprieciated.

PatricioS
Unregistered guest
A simple question:

I got a DVD player that came with the standard yellow, red and white cable to connect to the TV. The problem is that my TV is not stereo, and doesn't have the red and white audio jacks to plug in... it only has one single black audio entrance. Should I get a new cable, or can I make any other connection using the cable that I have (yellow, red & white)?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4158

PatricioS - Go back to the shop where you bought the DVD player and ask them to assist you.

Chris_Cross
Unregistered guest
Sound when the TV is OFF problem can someone help. I have a SONY TV which has audio output on the back to link to a AV amplifier or surround kit I have connected my VCR and DVD PLAYER to it via scart, I also have a HOME CINEMA SYSTEM which has pro-logic II decoder built in to create better sound from a stereo, this is connected to the audio out on the back of the TV and sounds great!! The problem is when I turn the TV off - the sounds cuts out as i thought i would but then after 2 seconds the sound starts to come back on again even though the TV is OFF. This only seems to happen when the source is comming from one of the scart sockets,i.e the DVD player or VCR. Does anyone know what the problem is???? please help

Username: Jonnyzero

Caloundra, Qld Australia

Post Number: 2
sorry,but i am still trying to connect my dvd to tv with out any success at all.
may be last time i did not give you the full details,dvd is a samsung c505 carrousel 5 disk player but may be made by pioneer my tv is a phillips pt4673 stereo fastex av tv both dvd and tv have the outlets for the cable connection red, yellow and white i have tried to connect the colour code but with out any success i have no sound no picture just the on screen dvd emblem that fades away to a blank screen please any help would be appreciated.

Username: Vincentkang

How can I connect the audio/video cable from my Toshiba RD XS32 DVD recorder to TV? It's seem that I cannot record TV program to the recorder.

Thanks & regard

Unregistered guest
i just purchased a new 20' insingina tv and connected my vcr ok but having trouble connecting the dvd.It should be straight forward but can't get a good picture with colour although it is clear and nosound i have tried every thing!!

Unregistered guest
i just purchased a new 20' insingina tv and connected my vcr ok but having trouble connecting the dvd.It should be straight forward but can't get a good picture with colour although it is clear and nosound i have tried every thing!!

Anonymous

Have an old Sharp TV with scart input (not AV).
I connected a Samsung DVD scart output to the TV scart input.
I get video but trembling and passing over from right to left and no sound.
I have been told that since the TV set is an old one I will surely need a SCART 21 / AV adaptor(three-pin with red, white for audio and yellow for video).
Is that right to sort out this trouble?
Thanks a million in advance....

Mr Wiggles
Unregistered guest
I HAVE AN ONKYO SYSTEM WHICH EVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP CORRECTLY WORKS FINE BUT MY QUESTION IS MY DVD/TIVO ARE A COMBINED UNIT WHICH IS HOOKED DIRCETLY INTO MY RECIEVER AS [DVD] HOW CAN I GET
MY DVD/TIVO TO WORK WITHOUT MY RECIEVER? RIGHT NOW ONCE I GO TO ANOTHER INPUT ON MY TV I RECIEVE
REGULAR BASIC CABLE CHANNELS WITH SOUND BUT IF I WANT TO VIEW PREMIUM CHANNELS I HAVE GO THROUGH
AND TURN MY RECIEVER ON THEN I GET PICTURE AND
SOUND OTHERWISE ONCE I TURN NY RECIEVER OFF IT SHUTS DOWN EVERYTHING CONNECTED TO THE RECIEVER
AND I AM LEFT WITH A BLANK SCREEN.

Unregistered guest
I have a Sharp 28" TV set with a scart socket that unfortunately seems to be out of order. I want to hook up a DVD to it... So as long as the only input-socket on the back of the TV set that works OK is the aerial plug, do anybody know how to wire up these two devices, I mean, can I get any adaptor or anything to connect the output scart of the DVD to the TV set aerial in-plug?
Thank you very much.
Buko

ATony0101
Unregistered guest
Help greatly appreciated, I am a novice to the world of DVD connections. I brought a DVD player which has only 1 coaxial out, but my AMP (for 5.1 ch or Dolby) needs 2 inputs for surround, 2 for front speakers and 1 for sub woofer. What kind of Coaxial cable do I need to buy? Is it wise / safe of buy 1 Coaxial cable which splits into 5 pins and then connect to various inputs? Will I be able to enjoy DOLBY surround? Pls. help.

rpathak
Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook-up my DVD player to the receiver and then the receiver to the TV. I have tried the following without success. Is there something I am missing? Any help is appreciated.

* DVD-Audio_Out (RCA) -> Receiver Audio_In
* Receiver Audio_Out -> TV Audio_In
* Receiver works but TV does not.

Unregistered guest
Hi need major help here..just got a Vizio Plasma P42HD TV and have a JVC XV-511 DVD player..Now when i connect via component cable I get video, but when I connect the RCA for sound, no sound coming from TV speaker..I dont have a progressive scan DVD...do you need that type to hear audio when connecting via component?

One thing: does component take care of audio + video?

setup is:

DVD---component cable---TV (video)
DVD---RCA cable---TV (sound)

what am i doing wrong here??

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 44
ATony0101,

Your amp has no Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. You need to either upgrade to a newer amp/receiver, or supply the 5.1 signals from a source that decodes Dolby Digital (some DVD players do this) via 6 RCA connectors.

HTH,
Craig

Bronze Member

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 45
Buko,
Are you sure that the Scart socket is broken? Some scart cables are uni-directional. Try turning the cable around first.
Failing this, you can plug it into a Video... set the video to AV channel, then turn the TV to the video channel.

/Craig

Unregistered guest
Hi,

Can anyone advise how to connect a digi box, DVD player, VCR and a TV together?

Freeview digi box has 2 scart sockets, RF aerial in and RF out.

DVD has 1 scart socket.

VCR has 1 scart socket and RF aerial in and RF out.

TV has 1 scart socket and RF aerial in.

We have the rooftop coaxial aerial coming into the house, 2 scart cables and 1 RF cable. Do i need another cable? If so how do i then connect it all together so i can watch DVDs, videos and my freeview channels?

Hoping for your help!

Carol A

wa59g
Unregistered guest
Hello, I am looking for some help. I just got a 5 speaker home entertainment system with DVD/Receiver ( all in one), and a Tatung 30" Widescreen LCD HDTV Monitor w/ DVI & Built-in Speakers. I also have an existing Zenith VCR (about 5 yrs old) that I would like to hook up. I have managed (after an entire day)to get all 3 (TV, DVD, and VCR) to play with sound. However only the DVD will play sound on the theater system speakers. The TV and VCR only play sound on the 2 TV speakers. Can I get the TV and VCR to play the sound through the Home Ent. System? Audio out is included on the TV. So where do I send it "out" to? I am afraid to change anything I have done already, because it will take me another day to get back to where I am. HELP, please! :-)

neuguy
Unregistered guest
hi all,

can anyone recommend a good cable for 5.1 setup? yamaha1400,sony dvd,sony vega and ascend cbm170 and the best method to connect it,thanks in advance

all the best,
neuguy

stan mo
Unregistered guest
how to connect sharp dvd/vcr combi to a toshiba tv and sky digi box using scart sockets.

Unregistered guest
i have a philips lx2600d dvd and a sansui furatto- 21-wt tv. the tv has line out and line in while the dvd only has a right & left line out and video out. Can i get the sound of the tv channels on the dvd's speakers?

Anonymous

I have a Accura DVD player Zone 1.There is anyway to play Zone 4 DVD.
Thanks

seannn
Unregistered guest
Hello

I am thinking aboubt buying a panasonic DMREH50 and wanted to know if it is possible to connect a freeview box to this unit. I recently had bad experience with a Sony RDRGX210 which after I got it home found out that it is virtually impossible to a freeview/digi box to it

Brunko
Unregistered guest
I have a 35 inch Toshiba tv and It was working fine until my son hooked up a gamecube to it. Now on every channel theres a huge black box covering the screen I turned the power off unhooked vcr,cable cord and antenna. Now I only have just the antenna hooked and when I change the channel for a second its clear,then the huge black box blocks my picture view? Has anyone had this problem? What should I do?

hendys2000
Unregistered guest
Hi there,

Changed around our lounge the other day and then went to hook up the tv, video and sky back up to the tv and seem to have gotten it wrong. We can watch sky no problem but cannot watch our video or record off sky. Have spent about 1/2 hour looking for instructions on how to hook it all back up but cannot find anything!
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Username: Kinaton

i have a tv (1 scart), freeview box (2 scart - tv and video) and a dvdr (scart in and scart out)...

1) Okay at present I can only watch freeview if the dvd-r is switch off... (or videoing freeview). I would like to be able watch freeview whilst videoing bbc1 etc....

2) Audio is very poor

3) system is wired as followed.. freeview tv out to scart in on dvd-r and dvr-r scart out to tv.

Any help would be most welcome.

maxxx
Unregistered guest
Hi- I need some help please. I am trying to connect my projection tv to my receiver in such a way that I can have the tv channels coming through the home theater as well. It seems like it should be a pretty simple thing to do but I can't figure it out to save my life. It is a kenwood receiver and a hitachi projection tv. Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Anonymous

Hi, I just bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder with no instructions it was the last one on clearence display model/my 25in TV only has a coaxel cable ready on the back of it witch my vcr is hooked up to and and the cable wire is going to the VCR, How do I hook up my DVD, do I need a RF modulator and if so How do I hook up both the DVD and VCR to it and the TV? Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: D_singh

Post Number: 19
maxxx...you could get a y-adapter for your a/v signal so that your monitor output and audio output gets split to two signals, one to each of your outputs. Did I understand you correctly?

Username: Shane_meister

London

I have just boughten a surround sound 5.1 system with center rear and front audio but it seems whatever i try one set of speakers wont have any sound on it. Wither it be Rear center or front it doesnt matter. Is it I have hooked it up wrong or one of the speakers is Broken. I have tried messing around with the setup and when I switch rear with front for example front will work and rear wont if it was rear that wasnt working before hand.....

please help.

Username: Sarienanj

Hi All: HELP! (Haha)We just purchased a DVD Home Surround System Pioneer HTP2600 1000 W total output over the weekend, for the bedroom, and have connected it to a DVD/VCR Panasonic Combo, and a 24" Panasonic Tau TV. Everytime, I switch the Receiver to "TV", to be able to hear the regular cable tthrough the speakers, the Receiver just shuts off. It does not do this for the DVD selection. Is this a power surger problem (admittedly, it is connected to a standard power surger, not a triplite, or other branded equipment (We have a "Monster" backup in the other room where our 100" projector etc are, but I was not sure it was necessary for this). Are we overloading the circuit? Any recommendations on what equipment will permanently solve this? Thanks, Sariena, NJ

Username: Lofiguy

Hello--I have an Onkyo dvd changer (model DC CP702) connected to a sony receiver (model DA3000ES) connected to a sony projector (model VPL HS51) using the "component audio-video" hookup. About half of the dvds I get from Netflix (i.e., which are pretty scratched up) I am unable to view on the projector--I just get a black screen with the word "COMPONENT" printed--the audio comes through just fine.

Can anyone suggest a remedy? The dvd's work just fine on my other dvd player/tv combo's, which are just using the coaxial hookup.

Thanks much,

Peter

Username: Samanthaangela

MO. USA

Hi.
Ok, Here's the deal. I have a 19" Symphonic television with only a coax cable input. I need to hook up a Playstation 2, VCR, and a DVD player. My problem is that I don't know how to get it all hooked up to the tv, without the tv having any audio & video input/output "buttons" I do have an RF Modulator, if that could be of any use. Can anyone help me figure this out? Please reply. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
We are trying to hook up a new Sony dvd recorder to our home theatre so that anything that plays through the receiver can be recorded. Our dvd player and tivo box run through the receiver. We have hooked the dvd recorder up using the VCR in and out hookups on the back of the receiver using RCA cables running to the line 1 audio and video on the recorder and left the dvd player and tivo box as they were hooked up. The dvd player and tivo are working fine but we are unable to get the recorder to recognize anything playing through the receiver. We have been able to hook the recorder directly to the tivo box and record whatever we are watching on cable however this means we cannot record from the dvd player unless we switch cables around. What are we doing wrong?

Username: Siscle

Maybole, Ayrshire United Kingdom

i'm trying to connect a tv with 1 scart socket , a dvd recorder(2 scarts) and sky box(2 scarts)so i can record either sky or tv , but i keep getting the dvd picture on as soon as i switch it on and no sound on the sky picture when you record something off sky....cheers Ross

Ciku
Unregistered guest
I am trying to connect a Phillips dvd player to a Toshiba TV. I am only getting sound and no picture. Can someone please tell me what am doing wrong? Thx-

Username: Tharsis

Hello i need help connecting my TV (one scart) to dvd freeview box and vcr. I also have a multi scart socket.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a Toshiba RD-XS32SU HDD/DVD Video Recorder and am trying to hook it up to RCA tv so that the setup will appear on the screen when selected. I have coaxial cable running from wall to dvd/vhs player into the DVD Video Recorder and then into the TV. Same routing for the RCA connectors (red, yellow, white). Cannot get the setup menu to appear on my RCA tv???

Anonymous

Just purchased a Pannisonic HDTV I have a Phillips VCR attached would like to work in a DVD recorder can it be wired into the system?

Anonymous

Help. I have a new Sony HDTV that I'm trying to hook up to my current cable modem, current cable box and new Sony Dream System. I have a 2-way splitter, which I used with my cable modem, cable box and OLD TV. Do I need a 3-way splitter now? Thanks

EB
Unregistered guest
This is not a very hi-fi question, but it is frutsrating -- I have a Cyberhome Progressive scan DVD (model 300). To get better sound than from the TV or LCD projector, I connect the audio outs into the Tape 2 inputs of my ONKYO TX-8211 Receiver's (there is no AUX or DVD input). But sometimes (maybe 1/3 f the time), the receiver will not recognize the input and the receiver will just revert back to the mode it was in before setting it to Tape 2/Tape monitor. When i finally give up and plug the RCAs directly into the TV or LCD projector, the sound always comes out fine. What might cause this receiver to not recognize the audio signal from a DVD/DVD player?

Username: Jangle57

I just got a Sony DVP-NS50P as a present. Since it plays both music CDs and video DVDs, it seems I should be able to hook it up to do both via av receiver and tv. However, after looking through the manual, I'm at a loss if I can do this, and if so, how. My tv, a Panasonic CT-27G33, does have an S-video port but my receiver is an older model: JVC RX-518VBK, which does say audio/video control receiver on the cover. It shows how to connect a video disc player to it and then out to a tv which makes me hopeful there's a way to do this without buying a new receiver but I'm just not sure and don't want to waste my time trying to make something work that never will with what I've got now. Help!

Unregistered guest
I am having trouble connecting my older tv to a dvd player. I bought an RF Modulator but it needs to also hook up to a Direct tv Satellite receiver. Please explain how to connect all three.. the directions dont explain how to also hook up the Dtv receiver. HELP !!!

TotallyLost
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I am totally lost. I received a dvd recorder this yr for Christmas and have no idea on how to hook it up. I would like to hook it up to my tv and stereo. After about 3 hours, I was able to get sound to come out of my stero, but no picture on the tv. I am alone and have nobody to help me with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unregistered guest
I have a Vivo vision 1605 DVD player and when I hook it up to my old Sony TV via RCA plugs, or S-video the image has horizontal lines and poor or wrong colors. What's the problem? Another portable DVD player hooked to the same TV works fine.

Anonymous

Hi All,

Previous Set-up. Coaxial arieal --> Foxtel box areial in. Areial out to dvd recorders arial in. Dvd's areial out to TV.
Foxtel scart connects to DVD (6 RCA plugs), and also connects to TV ( 3 RCA plugs)

Purchased new DVD Recorder. Moved all connections from Old DVD to new dvd recorder.

Free to Air tv works , Foxtels works on AV1. However to DVD?? DVD definitely works as i directly connected this to the TV with foxtel completely disconnected. Any idea's where it may be going wrong? Also tried a seperate scart->6 RCA from foxtel box to DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4635
TotallyLost,
Connect the Video Out from your DVD player directly to the Video input of your TV.

Anonymous

I have a new Electrohome progressive scan dvd player (Christmas gift) and am trying to connect it to my Zenith TV (from 2002). I have made the connections (analog), but there is no picture. Please advise. Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Ihave a infocus projector and vcr/dvd combo i w. ant connect tv cable to the projector so we can watch tv on the big screen. i am having problems getting a picture. we have sound. we have a surrond system the onkoyo. i called tech support for infocus and they were no help. i don't know what cables need to be put into the projector and dvd/vcr to work right. please help thanks

Unregistered guest
Ihave a infocus projector and vcr/dvd combo i w. ant connect tv cable to the projector so we can watch tv on the big screen. i am having problems getting a picture. we have sound. we have a surrond system the onkoyo. i called tech support for infocus and they were no help. i don't know what cables need to be put into the projector and dvd/vcr to work right. please help thanks

Anonymous

Hi

Can anyone help me, I am looking for someone to give me instructions the best way to set up my tv etc. I have a sony widescreen tv and I would like to connect my Toshiba DVD, Toshiba Video and my Sky plus box to the TV. Which is the best way to set them all up together, so I can record, and be able to watch DVDs etc in other rooms, currently I can watch Sky in other rooms but thats it. Also My DVD player should be able to play recorded dvds but it doesnt work someone mentioned it could be the way it is set up to my TV etc, any ideas. Thanks

mr post
Unregistered guest
Hi i've got an Akai 14 inch older tv with av plugs but cant get the av channel has have lost remote and there is no panel buttons. Any ideas?

Anonymous

HI all..my question is my cousin gave me his dvd player he show me how to plug in and when i got home i did and it doesnt work I have jvc tv and his dvd player is sharpe i tho it does not matter what company it is... he has tv that is sharp works perfect but i got my new jvc tv for my bday year ago how can i see dvd movies can someone help me with this?

Bronze Member
Username: Edunham

Post Number: 12
Does anyone know if the optical audio cable to connect a DVD player to my receiver is better/worse that using the 5.1 cables? I have a 7.1 system and am wondering if I will loose those two speakers or if my receiver will still play those two as a mix of the surround on 5.1 signals. Are there special cables for these or are typical RCA cables used, you just need 6 of them???

Marilyn M
Unregistered guest
I would really appreciate some help. I have a 5 year old TV with one scart which goes into a Freeview box. Can I also connect a DVD player to it? Thanks

Scubadave
Unregistered guest
I have a JVC 5.1 surround sound hooked up to a 34" widescreen HDTV. The "-" volume control affects the picture setting on the tv. So when I reduce the volume the picture setting changes which is really annoying. It seems they both have them same signal. Anyone know how to get around this without placing them in different places?

Anonymous

Can anyone out there help!! I have a Bose 3-2-1 Media Centre with a DVD. How do I connect the Media Centre with the DVD to my TV (Zenith)? When I play the DVD I get the sound from the TV but not the images. I guess I might have wrongly connected the wires from the Centre to the TV. Help, anyone?

Anonymous

Can anyone out there help!! I have a Bose 3-2-1 Media Centre with a DVD. How do I connect the Media Centre with the DVD to my TV (Zenith)? When I play the DVD I get the sound from the TV but not the images. I guess I might have wrongly connected the wires from the Centre to the TV. Help, anyone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6640
You need to have a video signal from your PC going to your TV. You are missing 1 connection, the video.

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone,
It seems to me that a lot of people dont know how to reconfigure their Foxtel or Sky Channel once they have upgraded one of their components i.e. DVD Player/Recorder or Amplifier. Could the people who run this website post instructions on your homepage or make it a feature or something to help out the forty or so requests for help that I have read while trying to find out how to get my Foxtel working again through my Brand New Television!!!
I`m sorry but a lot of people seem to be asking the same question and I cant seem to find the answer! If someone could point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. I have:
New Panasonic Digital TV
LG HiFi Video (Need to be able to record programs)
Foxtel
Sony 5.1 Channel Surround System
Sony DVD Player
2 x SCART connectors
multiple RCA Leads
I could make everything work through my old TV but this new one has got me beat.

Username: Dd1967

Need some advice!!
I have a harman kardon receiver will all the connection possibilities. My TV has S-Video input and DVD has S-Video, Optical and Coaxial inputs. What is the best way to connect everything? S-Video from DVD to TV, Optical from TV to Audio?
Thanks.

Username: Debaires

Hey guys. OK, I disconnected my Toshiba VCR/VDV player from my main TV to put in my room. It was playing VHSs & DVDs just fine, and then it started only playing sounds, and static was show up as the picture. I figured it was just my TV.

Then, I went to reconnect back to the other TV and I have this white cable (the one with a little needle and a knob that turns to tighten the cable in) but nowhere to put it, and the VCR/DVD doesn't show up at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

~Will

Username: Dbrendtke

Post Number: 3
I have a LG dvd recorder, optical cable hooked to my sony receiver, hdmi cable hooked from dvd to samsung hd tv. What is the proper mode on dvd sound settings to get my receiver to play movie in 5.1. I had it working but no sound was coming for tv, so i started to change modes around on dvd and can't get back to 5.1 from dvd. I would like to have 5.1 from receiver and also sound from tv. 5.1 is much more important to me though

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14378
You cannot get a 5.1 surround mode out of your TV unless the broadcast signal from your cable company is in 5.1.

Username: Warrenz

Post Number: 3
Please can anyone give me the info how to connect a video / TV / DVD player and skybox together.
http://www.vcao.net

Username: Mahin10

United States

DVD Player/Recorder or Amplifier. Could the people who run this website post instructions on your homepage or make it a feature or something to help out the forty or so requests for help that I have read while trying to find out how to get my Foxtel working again through my Brand New Television!!!

Username: Collegegal

I have a problem with my t.v. its a zenith and kinda old but it has all 3 colored hookups for my wii/dvd player. when i plug them all in nothing happens with the tv. i went through all of the channels to see if it was on one of those but it wasnt. my remote doesnt have an "input" buttom and its the original remote that came with the tv. please help!

Username: Rdhilip

Hi,

I have a Sony MHZ888D HiFi system due to Sound board problem i can not use the main unit but the speakers are in a good condition. Can you suggest me a good DVD player which is capable of getting connected to the 5 speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us