Speaker Wire Lengths?

Username: Tombackus

Post Number: 1
I just purchased an Onkyo TX-SR501 6.1 reciever and the matching Onkyo speakers. Due to the layout of my room, my entertainment center is not against a wall, all cables must go to the same wall before going to their respective speakers. This means that the distance to my right rear is about 12 feet. It is another 20 feet to my left rear (22 total), since I have to go 4 feet to the back of the room, across, and back up 4 feet. Thought about going across the ceiling, but I have a vaulted celing, and that would be longer. I have purchased 12 gague wire.

I remember hearing that speaker wires sould be the same length, but have also read that this is not necessary. Anything I read talked about differences for 5 feet. Should I match the lengths and use a large coil behind a bookshelf on my wall? Is the matched length importaint in this case?

Thanks for any help.

Tom Backus

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 263
with distances less than 50 feet, you should be fine. Matching cable lengths at such short distances is not critical. 12-14 gauge wire should be sufficient
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us