Power cord problem.

Username: Weez

Finleyville, PA USA

Post Number: 1
Just finished running all the cables on my first CD player(! #1) and first new audio component in 26 years(! #2), a NAD 542 which I bought mainly from some recommendations I read on this MB. The very last thing I went to do (natch) was plug into my dinosaur Hafler pre-amp and that's when I discovered that the receptacles on it aren't the newer "polarity" types or whatever they're called so the new CD player 110V plug won't fit. My question is: Is it OK to trim the one larger male plug down to fit into the pre-amp receptacle? No "demands" but if any members that know for sure read this I sure would appreciate an answer as I'm soooo anxious to play this thing. Thanks, weez

Lester
Unregistered guest
Hi Keith,

Should be fine, but maybe one of the local electrical guys can confirm(or deny).

This was a common practice for us a while back. There was a constant need for AC extension cords of all lenghts, so we went on installations with a spool of zip cord and M/F ends to made our own. Often the new gear, with a polarized male end would not fit into the AC extension, so we just nipped off enough to get it in there. Never had a problem.

HOWEVER... DOING THIS MAY VOID THE WARRENTY ON YOUR NEW GEAR.

As an alternative, I would suggest a power strip with surge protection. This way, your power cords fit without any fuss, and your new gear is safe from electrical system issues.

L.

Finleyville, PA USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks alot for the advice Lester. Since posting I went with a short extension cord, as you stated, and trimmed THAT to fit the preamp female. I think I'm guilty of being one of those irritating posters that didn't THINK first about what is, basically, a "no-brainer"! Apologies.

TPE
Unregistered guest
Always a reason for things. Try asking your self why would they make one larger than the other..do you think it is really ok to trim the prong!!?? Call a electrician, it will cost anywhere from $35-$75 to get this issue resolved, you wont start a fire and your surge strip might just work...because I know its not going to protect anything as you describe the situation. Amazing how people will take cords or outlets and alter them thinking it will be ok!!!!

Finleyville, PA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the..er..input TPE. No worrys, everything is safe and correct except for the ancient DH-101. Might look into installing R-P outlets on the preamp when I send it out for some work next month. 30 years ago reverse polarity protection didn't yet exist (or, at least, wasn't being included in most electrical products manufacture). For the time being I've since decided to go unswitched directly to the up-to-code wall outlet with the CD player. Further info: http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/polarity.html
Thanks again for all the advice, great site!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us