TV dvd/console game hookups, best options?

Nate Davis
Unregistered guest
Hello all,

I just purchased a Toshiba 57H84 57" hdtv ( here
(2 S-Video/AV, 2 Component, and 1 DVI)
I have a ps2, a gamecube, dvd player, and digital cable box to hook up. To get the best quality out of all systems, how should I hook it up? I was thinking composite to the dvd and digital cable reciever Im not positive that it has a composite connection since the cable gets installed on wed. the 21st, but from what I have read I would assume that it does. I ordered the HD package of channels with the cable as well. I play my ps2 and gamecube alot and im wondering if I would get a significant graphical quality increase if I plugged them in the composite inputs. I have had them running in standard a/v inputs on my last tv and I am going to go buy the s-video cables for them both (assuming composite isnt drastically better). Also, has anyone had any experience with this tv or heard any good-or-bad stuff about it?

thanks for the "input" :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hobbitfeet

ManchesterUK

Post Number: 39
This all depends on what you intend to use the most, what connectors each device has, and whether the cable box is high definition.

The quality of connections from best to worst goes: DVI, Component, S-Video, Video (Composite).

Personally I'd go for the best picture from the DVD player, so I'd hook this up using the DVI. If the DVD player has no DVI connector, connect via component RGB connection.

Then connect the cable box using component RGB connectors. If the DVD had no DVI and the cable box has one, use that. If the cable box has neither, use an S-Video connector.

Then plug the consoles in via S-Video. I'm pretty sure that the image quality won't be vastly different via Component, but if you have one free, I'd plug the console that you use the most into the free one, to get the best picture possible anyway.

HTH, Craig

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have a Sharp TV (older, no DVD hook-ups), a Magnavox DVD player, an Emerson VCR, and a Philips CD/cassette boom box through which I am running the sound. And sound is absolutely all I ever get. I have yet to see any picture. My brother had it all hooked up but it was unhooked by an unthinking person and now all the brains in the house cannot decipher how to hook it back up again. My brother is now in boot camp and therefore unavailable. I tried going to the other forum acoustics site but was unable to get it to come up. Can anyone out there help please????????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us