New House Wired for 5.1, how to connect Sub???

Reddog
Unregistered guest
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but this is something I have never come across. Just moved into our new house that was wired for 5.1 surround sound. The five speakers all had the red/black wires, no problems there. However, the wire for the subwoofer is actually a thick black cable wire, just like what is used for video. So . . . how the heck do I connect what looks like a video cable to my sub and receiver. Thanks for your help.

Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 9
5.1 receiver will have an RCA jack for sub-woofer out.
Powered sub will have an RCA jack for subwoofer in.
If you have a receiver without a dedicated sub out, or a "passive" subwoofer with only speaker wire terminals, then your out of luck.

Reddog
Unregistered guest
I understand that (and that's how it is currently hooked up). However, the builder installed a cable to hook up the sub in the back of the room. Therefore, there is a cable coming out of the wall in the front of the room and at the rear of the room. This cable is the black video type cable with the copper wire in the middle when you strip it. How do I connect this to the RCA jacks in the Sub and the Receiver? Thanks.

Reddog
Unregistered guest
By the way, the sub is a new Polk, and the Receiver is a new JVC, so both are fairly advanced.

Username: Hampshire

Post Number: 11
Hmmm...
You may want to try your local radioschack and see if they have a converter for coaxial to rca.
Depending on your preferred setup you may want the sub in the front of the room anyway???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us